Author Topic: Hark, I am the last one!  (Read 2309 times)

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
Hark, I am the last one!
« on: March 09, 2014, 10:32:16 pm »

Hello, everyone. Ever had that one person that claims of being the "last of their kind" or have you done it yourself? This is a very common story for many people. It seems no matter where you go, you're always going to have "The Last One" character. So, what do you all think of it? Do you often mind having the "last of your kind" type of characters or do you think it's a bit overused?

I do think it's overused, most definitely. However, I don't think it's something to look down upon as being unimaginative. Some stories for characters do require the absence of a society, pack, pride, family, or whatever the character came from. Either one, you don't want to bother with an entire family story and you can't find people to play them, could be a number of reasons why. Then there are some backstories that people like to create where they are "rebuilding" their family or homeland. Personally, I do like the side of being the last of a family or pack and repairing what was lost before. It usually depends how it was lost in the first place and how the future generation plans to rise back up to catch my interest. As far as being "The Last One" just to be the last, it can be seen as cliche.   
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
Re: Hark, I am the last one!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 11:15:40 pm »
I do have two characters that are "The Last One".
 One character is the last remaining pride member, and has totally given up on.. well everything. Color blind with distorted vision, he is depressed to the point of suicide.
 The other is the last of her bloodline, said to be that of Fenir. She takes the pressure well and become very determinded to carry on her bloodline.
But I agree, it's overused but is has a wide variety. I still enjoy these characters.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:54:22 am by MochaCocoa »

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline Wizardmymom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • probably suffering rn
    • the-aquamama
    • pharahraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 11:23:58 pm »
This...

Oh my goodness, this.

I'm not really sure what to think of it.
If you're playing as your own, original species, I get it.

But, if you're a dragon, you're most likely NOT the last one.

Personally, it's annoying as a bunch of little toddlers on caffeine.
It may just be me, but I think it's a personal thing, and a slightly in-depth-thinking reason.

While I have no plans to study it, I often wonder about human emotions.
So, I often question things like this.

If you're the last one...
Then you would most likely be depressed about it, or wounded, or terrified that your species will end, being as you alone cannot continue the species line without a mate.
You would be emotionally a wreck, due to the fact that your entire family, friends, and everyone else is dead. Unless the species is fairly solitary, but still.
You would hold the note that your ENTIRE species will die with you.

Yet people love to scream out "I'M THE LAST OF MY SPECIES!" like it's no big thing.

And I understand why.
It makes them feel special, unique, and free of restrictions.
It makes them feel like they're the special one.

But seriously, think about the emotional point. >:I

I do think it's overused, most definitely. However, I don't think it's something to look down upon as being unimaginative. Some stories for characters do require the absence of a society, pack, pride, family, or whatever the character came from. Either one, you don't want to bother with an entire family story and you can't find people to play them, could be a number of reasons why. Then there are some backstories that people like to create where they are "rebuilding" their family or homeland. Personally, I do like the side of being the last of a family or pack and repairing what was lost before. It usually depends how it was lost in the first place and how the future generation plans to rise back up to catch my interest. As far as being "The Last One" just to be the last, it can be seen as cliche.

Being the last of a family or pack, I can see.
That's cool, and often can lead to an interesting character if done right.
The lone she-wolf, searching for the rest of her life to re-build the pack that had crumbled away due to _____.
While it can lead to slight mate-begging by nooblets, it's still interesting.

My Final Words about this?:

Dem emotions bro, dem emotions.
Trans, gay, and ready to play

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 11:47:49 pm »
This sounds like a good topic. :3

I have yet to come across the "last of the species" RPer, but I'm sure it's out there. Feralheart is full of creativity and different species of animals, including "player-made" ones. But, saying, "Oh, I'm the last of my kind now bow down to me," is completely inappropriate. It leads to a dead roleplay. And, how does this "last one" know they are the "last one?" I mean, there could be another out there somewhere.
I have a species whom are quite rare, but they are also spread throughout many different biomes, places and whatnot. The one I RP as doesn't say she is the last one, because she really doesn't know.

The, "last of my family" is a different story... I think most avid RPers have come across, "my family died in a fire!" Or, "feel sorry for me, my family all died!" This can get on my nerves a bit. It never use to big me, but I see it so much anymore, it's become very old. (This reminds me of a older topic on saw on the forums called, "sob stories...") When I first started RPing on Feralheart, one of my characters (whos name I forget) was abandoned (or something along those lines...) but she never openly advertised it like I've seen.

Well that was a bit of my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:39:04 am by AlphaEclipse »

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 12:46:22 am »
I've seen these kind of characters before, especially the ones who say they are the "last one" of their family/pack/pride. I've seen a few say that they were "the last" of their species, but it's rare. Even I have had a few of my characters believe they were the last of their kind.

A long time ago, I once had a thylacine character who thought she might be the last of her kind. Whenever others would ask if their were any other thylacines like herself, she would reply, "I haven't seen any. I might be the last of my kind for all I know." But she was still hopefull that she would one day encounter other thylacines like herself out in the world. She never declared that she was the last thylacine, because she didn't know if she really was or not.

My unicorn fox character Amalthea... even though she is based on "The Last Unicorn" she isn't the last of her kind. People would ask, "are you the only unicorn fox left in the world?" she would respond in her Frenchy voice, "Of course not. I couldn't be zhe last of my kind. Zhere are ozhers like myself out zhere; you just need to know where to find zhem." She really isn't the last of her kind like in the book/movie. Her kind is somewhat rare and secretive.

I don't have any characters that claim to be the last of their family/pack/pride/clan. But I've seen many characters that claim that their entire family/pack/pride was killed in some kind of disaster, slaughter, war, or a plague of illness, etc, and how they were the only ones to survive. To me that seems pretty common and somewhat cliche. But the only thing that really irks me is when a character constantly sobs about being "the last of my family" to others repeatedly. And when people don't say the lines of, "I'm so sorry for your loss" they throw a big fit over it. "OH YOU'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND MY PAIN!" kind of rage. Get a grip, will ya?

So yeah...
Inactive

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 12:57:59 am »
I must say these responses are really great, I went ahead and read them all!

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline Twee

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 03:57:25 am »

Art by Kalambo @ dA
My dA

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 12:58:25 pm »
OhMyGoshIt'sDraco!

*Ahem*

Yes, it is a bit over-used in most cases.  Although, some will Rp with their own species and the rest of them, 'Die out', in the RolePlay.
Or some just choose to be the last of their kind.

I've yet to see one my-self.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Lukas245

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • You Shall Not Touch My Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 01:07:23 pm »
If they are the last of their own species thats cool...

But still it seems overused in many cases, even in your own species.

Many people say they are the last one of their pack,pride species, etc.

This is just like claiming your parents died when you where just a pup

and you had to survive on your own bla bla bla (The old overused emo tale)

Personally in my opinion they should drop the last one act. Its cool if its their own species...

But how many people do it to make it to the point were it is just plain annoying?

I used to be WolfInCourt on the forums, but just call me Kuesuto now or Kue.
FH Username:Lukas245
IW Username:WolfinHeulen
WolfSoul Username: Kuesuto
           See you soon~
[img/]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/077/e/d/dubstep_art_by_bronyswag-d5yfnkr.png[/img]

Offline Luna.

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • Fabulous B00ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 01:32:14 pm »
Here is my opinion on -insert magical voice, and wiggles her arms in the air- "The Last One!"  For me just a usual,normal thing now a days, because its over used in so many roleplays even tho you are a different species. I just think it's not as interesting anymore, because once the fellow 'Last One' is the only one, of course they go on and go into a sad sob story and just act like oh my gawd I am da only Juan, I have survived on my own.. Blah. Blah..Blah!1!1 of course I am over doing it. But -shrug- I don't mind those roleplays or characters at all. Just my plain simple opinion and creativity is -endless- in this game, so enjoy it. :D and -If- I do offend anyone, I don't mean it all. ;-;

.:.Rava.:.

Find me in game as Rava!
Username: luna.
Gift Art Created By: ~Shallow~
DA: Ravalava
Usually flopping about around Flourite Plains and Bonfire.