Author Topic: Look before clicking? ouo  (Read 2429 times)

Offline IcyFrost

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
  • what is life? life is cheese.
    • View Profile
Look before clicking? ouo
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:42:07 am »

Because yes, everyone needs Canada in their signatures.

AlphaEclipse

Re: Look before clicking? ouo
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 01:19:37 am »
I don't think anyone would hate on your topic! I love these minds of thread because I'm weird like that. :3

When I first used PCs, I never understood the threat of what computer viruses can cause. I would just download whatever ai thought looked cool. Wow. That wasn't smart. x,D
Today, I know better than to go willy nilly downloading everything. And what I do download, I scan with my antivirus program.
Most major viruses come in .exe(s), .dll(s), and .config files. The .exe means executable, which means the program is meant to be "turned on," in a way. If a virus were attached to this .exe, the .exe could send the file out to any folder in the PC and infect the. PC with it's own folder of source. That's an infection.
Some viruses work differently, like backdoor viruses, or even spyware.

Viruses can be coded to do many things, including encrypting files, all the way to hacking the PC's webcam. :/

I also never used to pay attention to the toolbars, I never thought a virus could be disguised like that. X3 Well, I guess they can. Whenever you install a program and you have to set it up, always do it to your customs, therefor you can pick and choose what you want installed.

AND, never, ever, download from unofficial sites. There's copies of programs like. GIMP that carry viruses and other malicious solftware!

Kewl topic~ +floofzbecauseIcan

Offline IcyFrost

• Finest Floof
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 04:37:20 am »
Ty for the floof ouo
When I got my first computer, I had to share it with somebody.. Who opened every email they got... and downloaded everything in ads -.-
Anyway, I didn't understand what a virus really was, barely knew about them. I ended up installing a lot of things, Ex: Minecraft Skins or Texture Packs.... ~No comment~
Merp. When I got my first virus, I blamed it on all the emails that had been opened... In the end, the hard-drive was fried and it looked like somebody failed at painting a rainbow on the screen. That's when we got a new desktop, which I did literally nothing on even though I was allowed to use it... That desktop today has so much junk on it... But my own computer (Woot ouo) has never had a virus on it.. Maybe once.. -From Blender u.u- I downloaded it from blender.org but still got a virus .-.
Still, I always look up a program and see what other people say about it before I download   :/

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 08:01:32 pm »
I barely download anything except for pictures/.gifs off the internet. I'm backed up with the latest AVG antivirus, and MalwareBytes at extreme circumstances. I know how to keep my computer safe, my laptop may not even have any active viruses. It's always frustrating to see people download everything in sight, get a virus and get their system destroyed. Don't be that dumb of a person to do that.

Offline IcyFrost

• Finest Floof
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 08:15:51 pm »
Chank Yoush.
I know this is off topic but at school, they leave the "My Computer" icon in plain sight : o :
Anyway, I have had my Windows 8 laptop for maybe three / four months. Strange thing is: I don't have a true antivirus. All I have is Windows Defender (Pre-installed) and Smart Screen Filter for IE. Never had a virus, but I'm not a crazy downloader.

+FlewfForUnderstanding

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 11:04:28 pm »
I totally am for this topic. When I was maybe 10-13 I downloaded anything I could, from online games to stupid programs. I got a bad virus and almost destroyed my computer completely, but luckily my dad was there to save the day. Now since I'm in college for computer classes and video game design, I'm careful about what I download. For all of those members out there who download anything they find without scanning or asking a adult, please do be careful. Some things to watch for on the internet include advertisements and just ads in general, do not click them as they may be harmful. Also note to ask before you download, as adults know what is safe and what is not.

- Dr. Druid

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Offline SL138197

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
  • Thank ye' TinyTail.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 05:39:50 pm »
Ai, this makes me go insane when my siblings just zip on through downloads, I like to take my time and uncheck EVERYTHING but the thing I download...XD

When I was younger (a year ago) I downloaded stupid things because I felt the need to have ALL the games. :P  I know better now. PAH No I don't XD
DeviantArt: Riverthefluffybum
Minecraft: artsy_gamer906

Offline IcyFrost

• Finest Floof
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 11:01:31 pm »
Glad chur dad was able to remove the virus Dr. Druid :). It's always best to scan any file you download first. Or, you can go to a URL scanning website and check the URL before going to it.

~River~,  I know how chu feel about watching other people download random things.. Though it's mostly at school I see that happen u.u
Chur right about that, always to to 'Custom Install' and uncheck everything else but the thing you want. It's like those Flappy Bird ads at the bottom of the page, it says 'Client download required' and 'Additional software included' in small print at the bottom. Wow. e.e

Offline Kaimeya_Wolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • she/her/they/them/he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 09:06:38 pm »
Watch out for .vbs also. If some random person says "ooh this is a cool script" there's an 86% chance its probably a virus 3:

Do you guys watch Danooct1 on youtube? He curses a little, but he shows Viruses, Worms, Trojans, Malwares, and more. Its pretty fun to watch
I come back after about 4 years! Ill probably still be somewhat inactive from time to time, but im here!

Please don't look at my older posts. I swear, i had a really bad "XD" phase. I am so sorry.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 09:37:34 pm »
Do you guys watch Danooct1 on youtube? He curses a little, but he shows Viruses, Worms, Trojans, Malwares, and more. Its pretty fun to watch
I do. :T