Author Topic: Someone copied my site name and idea? What do I do?  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Kaimeya_Wolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • she/her/they/them/he/him
    • View Profile
Someone copied my site name and idea? What do I do?
« on: April 03, 2014, 07:23:47 pm »
Okay so back in 2013, My site Thunderlogos.com was a logo maker (ANDITSTILLIS). Someone has copied my name and my old description "Welcome to Thunderlogos. We are a one person business." What should I do? I own the copyright to that name as I have bought the domain so...? Should I contact the person and ask them to change the're site name? This woulnd't be a problem but if you know me, you know im competitive, and I dont like competition. And the site is 2 entries ahead of me in a google search! D:

stupid question, but what do i do ;-;
I come back after about 4 years! Ill probably still be somewhat inactive from time to time, but im here!

Please don't look at my older posts. I swear, i had a really bad "XD" phase. I am so sorry.

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
Re: Someone copied my site name and idea? What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 07:40:43 pm »
Should I contact the person and ask them to change the're site name?
I'd confront them about it, aye. Rippin' off one's work, especially if it's copyrighted, isn't cool and rather low-down. Perhaps once they know they're dealin' with the original owner, they may change their site's name and all. Worth a try, eh? I'd also inform them that ye' own copyright of the name and description and, if ye' can, show em' proof of that so they won't have a chance to start a quarrel.
gone

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:10:56 am »
Should I contact the person and ask them to change the're site name?
I'd confront them about it, aye. Rippin' off one's work, especially if it's copyrighted, isn't cool and rather low-down. Perhaps once they know they're dealin' with the original owner, they may change their site's name and all. Worth a try, eh? I'd also inform them that ye' own copyright of the name and description and, if ye' can, show em' proof of that so they won't have a chance to start a quarrel.
Going from what Vespian has said, confront the person, and yes try asking them to change the name. And as Vespian has said, include proof you own the original business/website and name. If this does not work, also present the proof of when you made the site, and the proof of registration. This may assist you.

- Druid

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Offline Goldilocks

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 01:47:33 am »
Okay so back in 2013, My site Thunderlogos.com was a logo maker (ANDITSTILLIS). Someone has copied my name and my old description "Welcome to Thunderlogos. We are a one person business." What should I do? I own the copyright to that name as I have bought the domain so...? Should I contact the person and ask them to change the're site name? This woulnd't be a problem but if you know me, you know im competitive, and I dont like competition. And the site is 2 entries ahead of me in a google search! D:

stupid question, but what do i do ;-;

You can take that to court, and get them in some big trouble.
Get some screenies for proof first.