Author Topic: Why do so much people care about realism?  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Metronome

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • IF YOU SMEEEEEELLLLL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING
    • View Profile
Why do so much people care about realism?
« on: April 11, 2014, 02:57:32 pm »
I've seen all of these threads of people getting mad at people for getting mad at them for bring 'unrealistic'. First of, why do people find it necessary to judge people's characters? Who do you think you are? The jude of FH? It's not your character, so don't worry about it. Second, why are they judging realism?

"Your character has WINGS?! UNREALISTIC!!!!11!!!!"

Unrealistic? Okay, then why is your character talking? What's unrealistic is animals talking, so if you're so crazy about realism, then why do you have your character talk? Also, it's a video game. Realism does not matter, when it's a video game. Most people play video games to get away from real life. Would you be mad if a game you played didn't have a realistic moon cycle? No, you wouldn't. Yet, you're getting mad at a bunch of kids just making characters of different colors, and designs, and calling them unrealistic.

If you're those people that like to make realistic characters, don't worry, i'm not talking about you. I'm talking about these morons that think it's cool to judge people's characters.

So, if you're one of these people that like jude people's characters, just move on. Act like you didn't see them, move on with your life. It's not the end of the world. It won't effect your day. Just get over it.

"CLIMB THE LADDER KID, MAKE YOURSELF FAMOUS!"- Jim Ross

Video game, zombie, pro wrestling, and giant monster enthusiast. PM if you wish for Steam username.
In-game name: Geekboy27

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
Re: Why do so much people care about realism?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:02:23 pm »
Because that isw the goal in life, TO BE REAL.

Yeah

I guess it started as a way to see what would happen if you were an animal in the real world or something?

And now it's just...... -Turns it upside down and flips it around- Um..... What am I.... I don't even know what I'm looking at.....

It looks like.... a Label made of smelly socks.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Metronome

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:04:21 pm »

Yeah

I guess it started as a way to see what would happen if you were an animal in the real world or something?

And now it's just...... -Turns it upside down and flips it around- Um..... What am I.... I don't even know what I'm looking at.....

I don't understand the message you're trying to convey.

Video game, zombie, pro wrestling, and giant monster enthusiast. PM if you wish for Steam username.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 03:07:11 pm »

Yeah

It's a way to put somebody into a box.

If they think el character is un-real, 'ope, put in the 'Ill-literate/n00b' Bin.

That's what I was saying.

It's a label

And a very awful label at that.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Metronome

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 03:08:16 pm »

Yeah

It's a way to put somebody into a box.

If they think el character is un-real, 'ope, put in the 'Ill-literate/n00b' Bin.

That's what I was saying.

It's a label

And a very awful label at that.

Ah. I see. I misunderstood you. I thought you were trying to insult me.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 03:20:14 pm »
What I find amusing is that most of these people who fuss so much about so called "realism" in their rps aren't even rping with their "realistic" characters realistically. For example in real life do wolf packs really live in dens all the time? No... It's very uncommon for them to be in dens and only happens when females are going to give birth and need a safe place for their pups or on some occasions when they're trying to retreat from hot weather etc. How about lone wolves? No people it is not cool or easy to be a lone wolf in real life. Wolves aren't usually lone wolves for long because they either join a back, create their own, or die. Same with lion rps if your rp is so realistic that means you guys must spend most of your rp time sleeping...

The fuss over realism is just silly. This games goal is not realism but more fun and imagination. What fun is there to always abide by the "rules" of nature? It's a game people... No need to be so strict and if you're going to attempt at realism actually get it right in all aspects before you run around preaching.

Have fun... Be creative and don't be mean to others just because they play a different way from yourself.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:24:48 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 03:43:08 pm »
It's usually ironic that people who boast about realism are not entirely realistic themselves. There is no "true" realism to a game for the simple fact it's a game. As Lord Suragaha summed up, the game lives on imagination and it's dull to be reminded of the strict laws of nature in the terms of animals. I'll say that, yes, it's alright to refer to what certain animals are capable of, how they live, and so on. However, here, those laws can be broken just for the fun of it and knowing you have the freedom to do so.

As to why people care so much about realism, I would give a guess to perhaps they always wanted to simulate the real life of a wolf in their own way. In this type of platform that allows so much creativity verse simulation, it would not be near possible to do so. Another reason I would say is that some people think it's "realistic" for the game to be centered on realism, which again, is not possible. As for realism in the game as a whole, again, it's fine to have a group based on real-life laws of nature, but it gets boring if those same laws are the highlight of the game.
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 03:44:50 pm »
I don't really know.. I prefer to label my roleplaying as semi-realism.
I've never seen the point in truly judging other people's characters.
But it's also important to respect the request of people who run an RP. What they want in their group and not.
Some people want to roleplay in a more realistic way, while orhers may want to roleplay dragons or wolves with superpowers
It's mainly a way for people to group up in RP's.

Though, in the way you quoted it "OMG U HAZ WINGS OMG NOOB EW" ..
Eh.. I honestly don't get it. People like and prefer different things.
I do agree with Sura, but realism isn't about having 100% realistic roleplayong.
But more on how to label yourself. An approximate guide on what your character looks and behaves like.
Whether it's a wolf with only "realistic" colours, not so real colours or a neon wolf.
An undeadly lion. A horse with wings. Etc.
All different labels. Realism, semi-realism and unrealism.
Then it's up to you and other's to discuss why your character is seen as unrealistic or realistic.
It's silly to make a fuss over. ^^
RETIRED.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 07:40:37 am »
It's because the "cool kidz" think that having one spot of unrealistic color on your character, it means that you are a ILITRAT N00Bz!!1!!!1!!11!"

Players like this in the game really need to learn something for a change. c:

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 12:44:24 am »
I honestly don't know...
I guess some people will just look for ANY little excuse to stir up an argument or cause trouble. I will admit that I can get a little picky about what I think looks realistic and what doesn't. But I don't straight out announce it to the creator of the character, "Hey your character looks SO UNREALISTIC with those bright red eyes and white hair!" It's not my business to tell people how to design their characters. I don't tell people how to play Feral Heart or how they should design their custom characters. But still, there are those people who feel like it's their duty to go around and tell other people that their character doesn't live up to their "realistic standards".

I have a couple of characters who people have called unrealistic because of one unrealistic feature they have. My red fox character, Kopper, has the colors and markings you would see on a fox out in the real world. She acts like any red fox out in the wild. The only thing that you wouldn't see on a fox is eyeshadow and bright green eyes. Do I think she's realistic? No not really. I would say she's semi-realistic, since she can talk and has unrealistic eyes.

When it comes to having an unrealistic character, the only thing I have a problem with is someone trying to play realistically, but not really knowing what they are doing. What I mean is.... I've seen people say they are roleplaying an animal realistically, but aren't really behaving like the animal would in the wild. Examples: A cheetah that roars like a lion. A fox that hunts down a full grown deer. A pack of huskies that hunt down a bison..... And they claim to be realistic. FAIL!
Inactive