Author Topic: The stereotype of feralheart  (Read 7752 times)

Offline TheApplePie

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • I breathe dan howell
    • View Profile
The stereotype of feralheart
« on: May 29, 2014, 08:57:40 pm »
If you're one of the people that makes these rare characters all the time, simply just say no and close the topic. Thank you.
It gets quite boring when you keep seeing albino/melanistic characters everywhere.

Example: When you're in a clan/group of foxes to rp, 60% of the players would have black/grey/white characters.
People these days always choose that 'rare/special creature' option over the normal one because it's 'unique'.
Now that it's all over the game, it's not the albino/melanistic characters that are rare, but the normal coloured ones.

What do you think about having those 'special' characters?
Does it annoy you as much as it does me?

let's be emo in a gerard way

http://fiixl.deviantart.com/

SoulRevenge

Re: The stereotype of feralheart
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:34:09 pm »
I personally don't mind albino, melanistic, or other special characters (i.e: characters with unnatural eye colours, characters with unnatural add-ons or pelt colours, et cetera).  When I'm entering a realistic roleplay, I try to limit my creative physical characteristics so the character itself resembles (even if the resemblance has its faults) what it is meant to be in real life.

On the other hand, I usually don't roleplay as animals at this time, so this might be an otherwise unpopular opinion. But I do enjoy adding a bit of my own touch to characters; they're my creations, and I like having my creations with strange traits that make them stand out. Traits, whether personality or physical, that make them more important, diverse from others, and generally creative.

'Common folk'-- if I'm to call them that-- are usually those who wish to represent their characters physically in a natural way or like to make their uncommon traits that set them apart from everything else within the personality. I don't think that those who make characters albino, melanistic, or anything in-between are neccesarilly 'stereotypical' (although they do make common appearances). I see what angle you're coming from, but I personally view more commonly-coloured characters than anything else. People try to distance themselves from the things that they do view stereotypical. It's basically an unspoken law to keep yourself away from albino characters; melanistic characters, though? A lot of people don't even know the actual term, and even with that in mind I've had friends with oddly-coloured animal characters who did not follow melanism or albinoism.

There are several 'colour morphs' of animals-- see this chart below that further details some big cats.

But, as I was saying-- I don't particularly have anything against people who make unnatural-looking characters, or natural but rare looking characters. I've tried to distance myself from it lately, because I like to live up to the saying 'it's what's on the inside that counts'. Some people just like to express their character's personalities or creative attributes with a different and therefore self-constructed physical appearance, even if its something as simple as changing the common eye colour or by adding scars to their appearance. Small things like being left-handed also make characters all the more different, and different stands out. You can consider all this stereotypical if you want to (and although it is common, I wouldn't title it that), but I believe that it's merely a matter of added creativity.

And that added creativity counts as added creativity en if that creativity follows a trend that is already present within the community, or anywhere else asides from the community. These trends are created by people who you might consider 'professional' writers because they make those trends by applying them to their own characters. Let's take a few characters from one of my favourite series for example.

Agent York from Red vs Blue follows the all-too common 'one eye damaged/missing' trend, but the injury has developed his character and is present even though this is a 'professional series'.

Then there's Agent Wyoming (also from Red vs Blue). His featured physical attribute isn't exactly common in serious plot lines, but regardless of that his character played a big role in the series. It symbolises a bit of his personality, too. He's incredibly ambitious and goes for big goals. Goals that are big, like his moustache. And he's a bit of a pompous moron, but that's for another time.

There's nothing wrong with them, really. Or that's what I think. I respect that you don't particularly like the ever-present trends that go on around Feral Heart, but nine times out of ten; that's just creative design that is inspired by already-present creative design. I admit that seeing a large group of albino characters that treat themselves as particularly special is a little irking, but in general-- all these strange and muted colours and everything else in-between-- is just that. Creative design and the wish to add that to a character.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:57:24 pm by Cortana. »

SoulRevenge

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:00:59 pm »
[post accidentally went through twice. please ignore this.]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:04:50 pm by Cortana. »

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 03:38:12 am »
He is a pompous moron.

Oh boy, here I go...

-Deep Breath-

Yes, I have noticed people using the more 'special/unique' characters, instead of normal ones because, well, it's self-explanatory.

And it, doesn't bother me that much buuuut...... It does get old after about an hour of seeing nothing but that.

What's wrong with having a normal looking tiger instead of a white one?

Here's the reason that I've come up with that most people would have: It isn't that unique.

People, as a whole, want to feel individual, unique/special, Set apart from the crowd, ect.

Because, what's the point of having a character if they aren't special/unique!?

Well, there are a bunch. And I will list a few of my own.

1. There is no such thing as being too 'Ordinary'.

I'm going to use Tigers as my Primary example.

Whenever you see the word Tiger, you would normally think of the brown kind, with black stripes, ect.
That's the common image of a Tiger. It's pretty 'Ordinary'.
But, there are the few 'Exceptional/Unique/Rare' variants, such as: The white Tiger.
Those ones stand out, and is not what one would normally think of when they think of a Tiger.
So that's a reason why White/Albino/Ect characters have gotten popular: They are rare, exceptional, and unique.

Well, they were, but I digress.

2. There is such a thing as 'Too much'.

Now I shall use a different example, instead of Tigers I shall use: Wolves and Foxes.

Now, when some one thinks of a fox, they think of the European one: The Red Fox. You know, russety fur, black markings, white tail tip, ect. But, there's the 'Less commonly known' ones, such as the Gray and Arctic(Notice how I used quotations. Since Arctics are a bit more known then they used to be) Foxes.
These are the, 'Unique', variety. So, you can sort of see why these may suddenly become popular.

And now, with Wolves.... When you think of a wolf... you would typically think of, this.

You get the general idea.

Most people will think of, a Timber wolf.

Since those are the more 'Common' wolves people are shown.

And then, there are the different, 'Unique', kinds of wolves.

Such as...

The Red Wolf.

It's a 'Rare' kind of wolf, and is hardly ever seen by people.

Which is why it could potentially become popular VERYYYY quickly.

And(Here is one I've seen dotting Bonfire), is THIS, kind of Wolf.

The Dire Wolf.

This, is/was a species of Wolf, that died out a long time ago.

And, people never really had the chance to see it.

What's that I hear? Is that a 'Unique/Rare/Different' Type bell I hear?

Yes.

Yes it is.

Now, with the Foxes and their variants, it's not as annoyin to me.

But for some reason, the dire wolves dotting Bonfire irks me.

People would mainly use it as a ticket to, 'I am better, Faster, and Stronger than you are' city.

And, as most should see, these are popping up here and there(Some more than others), and they are turning the 'Unique' bit of it into 'Common'.

3. Realistic 'Albino' or not.

I'm pretty sure most of you know what an Albino looks like.

If not, here is a picture of an Albino Cat.

Note: Albino cats can have mix-matched eyes and blue eyes as well, this is just what you would normally think of when you hear 'Albino Cat' Besides the Blue-Eyed version.

Now, this is a actual version of an Albino.

But, sometimes when I see an, 'Albino'. It's downright red eyes that look like some one took from a demon and or Dragon.

And, as I am assuming most of you know: Albinos. Are more Freakin' rare. Than Spock smiling.

Now, I'm not saying having an Albino character is a bad thing, but having the greater majority of you characters being Albino...?

Meh. It sort of takes away the 'fact' that Albinos are rare. More rare then the Director smiling

That's pretty much all I got for now.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline TheApplePie

• Finest Floof
  • I breathe dan howell
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 10:14:23 am »
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:16:30 am by Kiquaii »

SoulRevenge

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 11:57:33 am »

Aicosu125

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:51:28 pm »
I don't mind these kind of characters. I believe people are creative when doing so. They are making characters that they will enjoy and love to play on. I used to have a white lion, with yellow eyes...but I don't have him anymore, due to some lack of rping, because it recently got boring. XD

Offline TTamaki

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:37 pm »
Hey I make Tawny Lions all the time... and thats the more common cousin to the white lion XD  Tawnys rock.
Loyality and Nobility are the quartilies of a true friend.

Signature @ Stagetechy1991/TTamaki

Offline TheApplePie

• Finest Floof
  • I breathe dan howell
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 06:54:12 pm »
I do agree with your point Cortana.
FeralHeart isn't based on being realistic creatures or anything, but it's just that the people want to be the most unique and best character. Quernipluff it's indeed quite sad that the grey foxes  didn't accept you, but it's alright to say no in a kind way.

As said before there is no problem with people having flawless characters and such, but it's still slightly annoying with how they want to be the very best of us all.
Many thanks for taking your time to write all of that, it makes me happy that you didn't just close the tab down or write random things to go against what I said.
Thanks to you all!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:43:49 am by Kiquaii »

Offline Wolfie_Lover

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 10:24:57 pm »
Interesting points of views, great topics, and amazing sources. Now, I'm not too big on the whole "albino/melanoma lions/wolves should be EVERYWHERE" as some people had planned. I don't really role-play animals anymore, only on a few occasions, but I have had my fair share of albino lions in my face telling me to 'leave their territory'.

I like the thought put into the creativity behind the character, like what makes them tick, but sometimes I get eyesores from trying to read the bios (save that for another day, though) of the characters, only because I've read the same backstory from the last twenty pure black wolves with fully red scars.

I've had my own set of grayscale characters, but I've been vebturing a little towards the browns and other colors I could use, especially when I was younger. I don't have them now, but they had the same unoriginal origin story that you see from the cubs at the adoption center. Even though they had 'physical flaws', it wasn't really flawed, since I could do, basically, whatever I wanted to do with that character.

Don't get me wrong, after awhile of the too bright or too dark colors, you could get a little headache. And after that, it just gets really annoying.