Author Topic: Productive Posts VS Pretty Posts  (Read 3226 times)

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
Productive Posts VS Pretty Posts
« on: June 18, 2014, 03:06:09 pm »
I've noticed in roleplays that people will often type long, elaborate posts on simple things, like their charcter falling asleep, grooming, or even just describing that character. Why? How come more people don't type posts to further the plot?
Lok at these to posts I made up.

Post 1 (Pretty):
The young she-wolf yawned as the warm morning sun woke her from her sleep. She stretched her body out in the cool dew, basking in the sunrise's red glow. She sighed quitely, so not to wake her pack, because she knew that the peace was not to last.

Post 2 (Productive):
The young she would yawned, and looked around her wearily. She sighed as she saw the red sun rising. "The battle field will be redder than the sun." she said, trying to hide her fear from the waking pack.

See the difference? The first one sound pretty, but by not describing her feelings or the situation well, it doesn't further the plot. The second, however, clearly says her feelings and gives a better view of the situation, and it prompts others to respond. That is the key detail. With the first post, it is harder to confront the character. In the second, you could have tied confronting her by saying something, now that she has spoken.

I hope I'e explained myself ok?

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

wolfdog01

Re: Productive Posts VS Pretty Posts
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:15:04 pm »
This is actually helpful when a person needs to figure out if they are typing pretty which may be why no one will go up to them lol
But I would think that I type as the second post, unless I am RPing by myself or something.

I think the productive post is most important because, as you said, it does move the plot along. When I read that first one I felt like it was just kinda there and that the character was soft, not really knowing what to do. But with the second one it feels like she is a concrete char with emotions and such. Now the other RPers have something to go off of if you post productively, it seems more clear and readable to me.

Offline Vask

• #2FAB4U
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • Chaotic Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 04:22:28 pm »
YEs. Brah I totally agree. Pretty or productive. I've seen some seriously pretty posts. I'm serious that once I role played and one person typed 3 POSTS on falling asleep...IN A ROW. Like she continued on the post. I was just...I.... *sigh*

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 05:52:51 pm »
I am used to describing most of my character's body language, as most of them tend to prefer not to speak.
Not sure why this is, but it's been ever since back in 2012.
Might be that I find it difficult to keep them separate, or just a habit.

However a productive post can be as 'pretty' as one which isn't very productive.
A lot of people prefer long posts and to describe everything in smallest detail.
This usually also showing how advanced your roleplay is.
Though, nothing I'd do if there was a lot of people around.

If I am to post longer posts 3 - 5 paragraphs on FH, I tend to write everything out in a document first so that I can make my posting quicker ingame.
This way people don't have to wait as long for me to finish, and I get to go over the spelling mistakes 'n what not in peace.

I'd prefer mixing the pretty and productive.
Just a personal preference.
RETIRED.

Offline xXQueenXx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Sippin tea
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 06:30:51 pm »
When you first enter a rp I personally think it's nice to start with a 'pretty' post and then furthering the plot with a more productive post. 
By doing this, they set the scene (I'm just going to call it a scene) and really give the readers/members
of the rp a better idea of what they're seeing and how their character are seeing it too.

Offline shayy

• Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 07:29:51 pm »
I can understand that you may not like/enjoy when members of your role play group do not stick to the situation that is occurring in the group, yet some people feel it necessary to illustrate their character in more depth than others in order for the rest of the group to know them  better as an individual. However, I too find it immensely agitating when a fellow role player, goes off on a three paragraph interpretation on how the grass looks like a sea of green fish. Though very creative, it can get annoying when all you are reading is about grass fish.
SO. I completely understand how one can become agitated when someone does not stick to the "script", but you have to remember that some people feel it necessary to tell you more about their character.
Quote if you agree.  
pm for free art i need practice

Offline unnbrellas

• Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 09:04:20 pm »
I can understand that you may not like/enjoy when members of your role play group do not stick to the situation that is occurring in the group, yet some people feel it necessary to illustrate their character in more depth than others in order for the rest of the group to know them  better as an individual. However, I too find it immensely agitating when a fellow role player, goes off on a three paragraph interpretation on how the grass looks like a sea of green fish. Though very creative, it can get annoying when all you are reading is about grass fish.
SO. I completely understand how one can become agitated when someone does not stick to the "script", but you have to remember that some people feel it necessary to tell you more about their character.
Quote if you agree.  

I'd like to point out that exploring the character does further the plot (or atleast in my opinion) because it allowed for character development, which is more important than people credit it for. Also, when I said describing their character, I ment their physical appearance.

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline WildWolf#1

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • pottymouth posse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 07:36:16 am »
[removed]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:05:00 am by WildWolf#1 »

spirit, who could not be broken

Offline BlackLuna06

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 09:45:22 am »
I usually begin my RP with something of the useless-but-pretty nature. It lets people know I'm ready to RP - and hopefully, catches their attention at my fabu RP style /hair flip xD - AND THEN progress on to the 'productive' posts as you call them. It's hard to begin with a 'productive' post because you might type out something that's obviously to another character, then find them on 'brb' or with a post directed at someone completely different. It jumbles up the RP a little. Less awkward, for one, to begin with a vague post. X'D But productive posts are more entertaining - if less flowery - because they have more information than description in them.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:47:31 am by Snarf. »

Offline Roniver

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 03:09:52 am »
I do pretty posts when I can't think of anything and I don't want to make a three word post.

Pretty: Caroline sat on the console of the TARDIS, slowly and gracefully licking her paws as she waited for Solara's return.

Productive: Caroline fluffed up her tail, staring right into the eyes of the man. "Don't you ever, even DARE come back!" She hissed, as the little, white kitten hid behind her leg.

Both of those moments never happened, but Portal/Doctor Who/SuperNatural/Assassin's Creed/More stuff. Roleplays can be werid.