Author Topic: Patience Is Key  (Read 3276 times)

Sandfury

Patience Is Key
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:30:21 pm »
Welcome to another rant of mine.

By no means is this targeted to anyone, nor is it trying to offend someone.

So you're sitting down, roleplaying by yourself. Another person comes up to you. It appears they are RPing as well.

The only thing they say is: "Hi."

I don't care if they say 'Hi', it's just when I reply back.

So, I'm typing an RP post (Which only takes me about 10-20 seconds) and right in the middle of it, they run off. I mash my Backspace key, erasing my whole RP post.

I'm thinking, "Well gee, can you be a bit more PATIENT?"

I almost think that almost everyone has had this moment, even if you were the impatient one. But really, can you at least be a bit more patient for people who either have a hard time typing and/or is typing a reply? It's really annoying.

What do you guys think? Have you ever encountered this? Do you think it's annoying?

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Re: Patience Is Key
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 09:58:27 pm »
I cannot directly relate to roleplay posts since the few times I am roleplaying the ones I am around will not leave in such a hassle. However the way I can relate to it really is when I'm just sitting around in the game minding my own business. I could be just watching over something, I could be replying to someone else, I could be working on something on the computer, quickly tabbed out on the site or even be trying to grab myself long awaited food or drink, the important things for you just to get through the day when users walk up, say something in the ways of "Hi", "I need to ask you something" or anything of that matter that is required or posted from the person wanting a response.

At times the person posting this whether it is in whisper or local gets very... Rude and inconsiderate and not only take off before I get time to write a proper reply to their questions, but actually leave a sassy comment or rude remark. Lost count long time ago how many times I tried to just help someone or just assist just to get mud thrown up all in my whiskers(so to speak).

Sadly a lot of users just cannot comprehend the position of someone else and that everything will not respond and act instantly according to their actions in an online environment like FeralHeart. Maybe this is something that people grow into realization of with time, but it can surely be a trouble at times when you need to fall short because some out there didn't give you that extra second to show. It's a bummer.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:31:37 pm »
Although not really much in roleplay (I'm not too big of a roleplayer), but it has happened to me before. You can wait a few extra seconds for an actual response or you can just run off wasting the other's person's time. It's frustrating, for sure, even though it's only happened very few times to me.

Or it's not even them running off, they're getting impatient and waiting for you to reply and they keep bugging you with "Are you going to respond?" "Can you post?" and it's just like, "Do you want a quality post or not?"

Although I'd say I'm pretty quick at typing, it's that I just can't think of anything to say and I don't want to say anything that would make me come off as weird or something like that (a problem I really struggle with, that's why I don't talk much to anyone in game) and I spend time trying to figure out what exact words would go well together, but then the other person either runs off or gets impatient. As the title says, patience is key.

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 02:57:50 am »
I am thankful that most people I encounter aren't too impatient, and will likely understand that I'm busy typing something in another chat or something. But obviously, there have been a few occasions that I have had this happen to me... ;n;

...The ginger's rage had caught me for a few seconds... And I can tell you, there have been times myself when I was impatient - Recently, actually, but it was only because I was getting sick of being forced to wait without explanation. I mean, I don't always have videos to watch on YouTube, do I? ;n;

I still do hope I'm not annoying the person who I get slightly impatient with, though, but of course, I don't just log off or something most of the time. In the past I might've done that if I was in a hurry, but... Now? No. Don't think so, at least, unless I randomly lose connection. It really does suck having all that literature go to waste, though.

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 03:38:05 am »
I've had this happen to me a couple of times, and trust me, it's not very pleasant. It just irks me that the person I'm talking to doesn't even have a 30 second attention span. Then when Im almost done typing, they just run off. It can get on my nerves sometimes.

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 07:01:54 am »
Aye, this has happened to me i'm not sure how many times. I'll be in mid paragraph, and they'll log off or run away. I'll finish unaware cause i'm in full concentration, and they'll be far enough away to not even see it. It's annoying if that's how you say it nicely. It kinda irritates me when they do that cause they'll run back and ask you to type it again and sometimes just run away yet again. 8I I feel ya here Starry <3

~ Whisper

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 07:51:50 am »
I can relate to this little rant in more aspects than one.

When it comes to role-playin', I tend to be a pretty detailed role-player. Most of my smaller posts alone consist of 5-8 paragraphs. No less. However to I this nitpick habit of role-play of mine possesses both its cons 'n its pros. Relatin' to this thread, patience is one thing many users will need when any seek to role-play with me. I have lost count on how many times a user will call out to me, "Hey, Vespy! Can I role-play with you?" then when I agree 'n it's my turn to post, next thing I know I'm bein' hassled for takin' too long in completin' my turn or the user who called out to me will quickly lose patience and run off while I'm in the middle of typin' or disconnect altogether. Agitatin' it can be, geh.

Back when I used to run a public role-play of my own, impatience occurred whenever two or more users sought out to join my establishment around the same time. For example, I'll be busy answerin' questions 'n readin' over a role-play sample from one user or two all the while havin' to deal with that one user (again- or two) with its pelt all in a knot makin' crude remarks on how I'm "ignorin' them" or how I'm "makin' no effort whatsoever in givin' 'em a chance to join the organization", etc. Then when I get back to them apologizin' for the delay, they've either disconnected, ran off to another role-play, or became mindset that I care little for them and that their time was wasted talkin' to me. This did not happen every time but I have been a victim of it.

Lastly would be simply sittin' out of character somewhere watchin' the conversations bein' carried out in local chat. Most of the time when I'm just sittin' around, I'll also be watchin' some YouTube videos, talkin' to a few people on Skype, or checkin' the FH forums. Tabbed out to put it simply or completely away from my keyboard for a few minutes. Then when I look back onto the game, I see that I have magically greatly offended some user simply by not respondin' to them in time when they wanted me to. Most of the time when I nudge 'em apologizin' 'n explainin' that I was away, they understand 'n everything's well in the kingdom once again. Though there have been occurrences where users will disconnect, run off, or even spam me with insults rangin' from minor to "Vespian is the worst user in this entire game!". T'is most upsettin'.
gone

Offline Eviny

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:52:24 pm »
I've ran into something close to this as well, mainly with roleplaying.

I'm not very descriptive in my posts, in fact I try to keep it short and meaningful because I can't stand purple prose myself, but when I get into a roleplay with someone who uses it a lot I can get a bit impatient with the time. Not in the way I would just run off but I still do find myself feeling annoyed if the reply takes too long.
   There has also been an event when I was roleplaying with a more detailed member who took 5-15 minutes to write their reply, but sometimes they would not reply for hours and then log off or say they had to go. Enough said I can really understand why people are not amused when this happens.

Offline xXQueenXx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Sippin tea
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 07:29:44 pm »
I feel like everytime I RP this happens to me! x'D
I've been dealing with writer's block lately, so I haven't been that into RPing as much as I usually am.
Therefore, it sometimes takes me a few minutes or more to do a full-length post that isn't incredibly boring. 
While i'm trying to write I always get "Are you still there"'s or "Um.. Could you speed it up a bit"'s.
And although it sounds pretty rude, I'd probably say the same thing.:D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:34:03 pm by Clo »

Offline StarrieNova

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 52
  • Cuddle Fluff
    • StarrieNova
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 11:29:23 am »
I must say I have had this happen to me a few times, and honestly it irritates me to no end. I think it very rude or inconsiderate for people to do so.
Also in reply to what Red said I am very sorry that you get that sort of treatment Red. It is rude and unfair to you for people to do that. When I try to chat with you I wait for a while or I will try to be cute, and send you a random *boop* or just have fun still saying hello. If you seem busy I will take off, and return later. I know you most likely would not still be there, but at least I return to where I last saw you at.
Though I have to admit I do get fairly angry when people do not seem to have the patience to wait for their fellow floofs to type a response to what they typed. It gets on my bloody furry nerves when they do so, but we can't really do much about it..

Siggy by: MittenstheNoble