Author Topic: The Biggest and the Strongest  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
The Biggest and the Strongest
« on: August 25, 2014, 08:53:56 pm »
'Allo again, floofs. I just wanted to state my opinion on some roleplay character types. If you've read the title, you can probably infer that this is about big, strong, macho characters. Well, not exactly, but close.

I want to talk about how a lot of people make their characters perfect. It seems like nowadays a lot of people feel the need to be superior to other roleplayers. Weather they are the strongest, fastest, smartest wolf in the pack, or the greatest warrior who ever lived, blessed with mighty powers from Starclan. Now, there's nothing wrong with a skilled or special character... it's just how people make them FLAWLESS. Or how some people make their characters have those "special backstories that make their character better than yours." Is it me, or do a lot of warrior cats have those "Was born a rogue kit, abandoned, so killed family and became strong warrior" backstories? Now, back to the whole big, strong, fast thing. My fursona and main character, Astuzia, is very quick witted and agile, but not very strong. Everyone has flaws. It could be that they are incredibly strong, but also very sluggish, or they could be some awesome, jock, but he is not very smart. See? It's like a checks-and-balances kind of thing.

Well, thanks for listening to my crazy little opinion. Feel free to make the most over-the-top character you want... just don't forget to add flaws. And just keep this in mind: It's not a bad thing to lay low and create an average character.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Re: The Biggest and the Strongest
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 09:16:52 pm »
In my opinion, flawless/perfect characters aren't fun to roleplay since they don't have any problems to deal with then. "I'M PRINCESS AND I'M NICE AND CARING AND STRONG AND SMART AND EVERYONE LOVES ME" -no. A flawless character isn't even all that realistic. Also I think godmodders somewhat fit into this category, they can dodge everything and kill someone with only one bite and no harm can be done to them, that's pretty much flawless fighting xD

(Oh yeah, sorry I poofed from FH, laptop shut off on me xD)

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 09:25:17 pm »
My point exactly. Also how everyone wants to be either a leader, an Alpha, or a high-rank, when other important ranks like Healer or Omega. (I actually kind of like playing as the Omega some times, it's fun to do all the dirty work for a pack sometimes) Also in this category, cubs/kits/pups/whatever who ATTACK AND KILL FULL GROWN ANIMALS OR HUNT A BULL ELK ALL BY THEMSELF! OMG! CHILD CARNAGE PRODIGY! Uh, no. It's annoying when my cougar gets one-shotted by some newborn puppy (it can be entertaining at times though). I mean, even a pack of wolves usually has trouble bringing down bull elk.
(And It's ok, I was actually about to log off and start drawing a new "PREACH GURL!" image for the forums XD)

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline KatanaWolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Delete this account.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 10:33:33 pm »
I honestly don't get why everyone needs to have a character that's perfect when there's nothing wrong with them being good at a certain skill, but ALL skills is a bit over exaggerating if you ask me. In real life there is no perfect being everyone has flaws I'm not saying you can't make perfect characters but if your trying to be realistic with them then they should at least have a few if not one flaw.
Account no longer in use.

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 03:03:22 pm »
This really bugs me. I don't get why your character has to be perfect. Just because you're the leader doesn't mean you have to be an amazing warrior, or the size of a lion. I'll take an example from the Warriors books; Tallstar wasn't really that great of a warrior (he was starting to get old even when the first book was out!). And Lionblaze was the best warrior (he had powers, of course he was the best), but he wasn't chosen as deputy. Or sometimes I see pregnant wolves fighting off moose xD Very amusing, but I don't think people realize (or they just don't care) that pregnant animals are basically defenseless when faced with any threats. I like creating characters that have 2 strengths and 1 weakness. Such as, a character that's amazing at sneak and has great stamina; But is terrible at combat.

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline Fallenleaf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 04:15:50 pm »
I really don't get why people go ahead and make perfect characters. What make characters interesting are their imperfections; it's what makes it fun to roleplay the character, what gives it life. A perfect character is a boring character. And most likely annoying for others.

(You also got me goin' with that macho thing god:
macho, macho man
I get to be a macho man)

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 04:52:29 pm »
There's a reason I have most of my characters nowadays get really big flaws....

I really don't see the point in having those 'perfect in everything' characters... Especially the pregnant yet still strong and able wolves that Starry mentioned.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 11:17:22 pm »
It's just like my life - there are the flawless little parasites, then there are dogs like me; different.
I do have characters that are narcissistic, but, I can relate - I am at times. Some of my characters think of themselves as perfect(my subconsious created them, they've managed to stick around) but, they are more then just perfect, they have issues that they avoid/hide in order to act perfect.
To the people who have characters that are just perfect, they just don't know what else to create.
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline noires

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Don't forget to smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 12:27:45 am »
Flawless characters do get pretty old... It's always good to balance out a character's strengths and weaknesses so they aren't too perfect. When characters are too perfect, it can be a bit irritating for the people you roleplay with. Having characters with flaws actually can make a roleplay more interesting. It also gives you a chance to fix those flaws-- but not right away, of course.