Author Topic: My Name and My Character, Not Yours  (Read 3881 times)

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
My Name and My Character, Not Yours
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:04:02 pm »
I woke up this morning to find a person complaining about two of my characters (This was on a different site) due to the fact that one of them was named Turtle (The Turtle you all love xD) and that the other character liked books, but I won't talk about the last one.

So yeah, I'm pretty annoyed and angered right now, waking up to a person complaining about your characters. I still was just able to respond "I can name my character Turtle if I want to, it's my character."

Turtle I've actually had a lot (lol like 3) of complaints about. The first was when I first made him, the character looked exactly as he is now but I had picked the name Squirtle. I am not interested and have never watched/played/whatever Pokemon, so I didn't know that was the name of one until I looked it up. But anyways, I was sitting in Ficho whispering my friend when some random wolf came up to me and said "Squirtle, you look nothing like a Squirtle".

I just replied "I'm just a character, I'm not supposed to look like anything" and he responded with "That's what they all say" and ran off. (Which is kinda weird.) I just changed my character's name to Turtle, because that's cute and stuff and plus Turtles are awesome.

And I still get complaints about his new, changed name. "WHAT AN ORIGINAL NAME FOR A WOLF" So? He doesn't have to be a Turtle in order to be named Turtle, and I just like the name.

If anyone comes to you about your character's name, who cares? You named your character what you want, and if you want to keep it, you can.

Rant over, and this went much longer than I wanted it to be but oh well. Probably didn't make too much sense xD

But yeah, when I keep getting people complaining about my characters in tons of different ways (this is usually with my pony OCs, also .-.) sometimes I get too sensitive and can't handle it, and usually delete my character. Even if I get lots of compliments about a character, just one complaint will effect me the most.

Uh, that's it I guess. I needed some ranting time after what happened xD Anyone got some experiences of people complaining about your character's name that you'd like to share? So I don't feel like the one person this is happening to? XD *Backs away back into dark corner and eats chips*

Offline Jackkdaw

• The Fabulous
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 138
  • actual cannibal
    • http://jackkdaw.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
Re: My Name and My Character, Not Yours
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:19:11 pm »
I, for one, think Turtle is a wonderful name.
To your final question, I can't really remember a time when I've gotten complaints. (I'm sure I've gotten some, but I have the memory of a gnat, so. X3)

On another note- addressing your rant X3-, honestly, some people around in-game are extremely immature. Sad to say, but it is true that there are far too many bullies around who just enjoy picking on other peoples' characters for their own low satisfaction. Such behavior is not okay on any level.

Feral Heart players are quite often very young, and some are just looking for attention by causing negative sparks with others. When people insult your character, don't let it get to 'ya!
Each character is unique and special to its creator, so other people have no right to judge that factor.
Some people have different character styles than others, and that's fine!
This game is all about creativity! Don't let haters bring down your own creativity in your characters.

You have every right to name your character what you want. It is not up to anybody else to judge the way your character is named or how it looks. It is your creation!

If you continue to be harassed about it, you can always just block the offender, too. It does get annoying when people bombard you and try to tear you down.

All that being said, remember- your characters are yours! It's not up to anybody else to disrespect you or to bring you down and they have no place in judging your creativity in that.
In-Game as: Jackkdaw
On DeviantART as Jackkdaw
sig by me

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:15:38 pm »

Preach it, Jim. Couldn't agree more with this topic. I have never received any complaints about my characters yet, but I honestly don't see why anyone should be judging characters by their name... unless they decided to name their character something inappropriate. And you know what? I've seen a lot of wolves with the names of other animals (mostly hawk, raven, eagle, snake, cobra, scorpion, etc.), but I've never seen a Turtle or Jackdaw. As for my characters, I lazily use random words in Italian and pick one that sounds cool. Even my main character, Astuzia, is basically the word "cunning."

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:30:56 pm »
I have recieved complaints about everything about my characters, whether be it real life or in-game. From how they act, look, their likes, size, gender, even species. ._. It's utterly ridiculous and annoying.
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Wolfie_Lover

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:14:37 pm »
Ugh, I don't really like people like this. Now, my older persona, Wolfie, was always harrassed by other users because her name was "Wolfie". Now only that, but whenever I left Ascension or Lonely, I was always barked at for having a purple and brown wolf.
I agree with Jim, though, don't let them get you down. You are in the reigns of your character, not the other people.
-Wolfie

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:59:56 pm »
But yeah, when I keep getting people complaining about my characters in tons of different ways (this is usually with my pony OCs, also .-.) sometimes I get too sensitive and can't handle it, and usually delete my character. Even if I get lots of compliments about a character, just one complaint will effect me the most.

Don't let silly people's assumptions or opinions about your characters effect you. I think the names you give your characters are quite unique and wonderful. It's nice to see people who come up with creative names and designs outside of the popular themes. If you love your look and name I say wear it with pride and rock it. If people think it's weird than they are probably too mainstream and lacking in your level of creativity. Everyone likes different things and what matters is that you love your own creations. They don't need to be liked by others to be beautiful. It's not up to others to shape your characters because if you let them do that then the characters will not reflect the true sides of you.

I have never really had anyone complain about my characters but even if they did I wouldn't give a darn. Like I always say let the haters hate:

I know what's good and I don't need anyone's approval. My characters express different sides of myself therefore they are perfect for me.

Offline Crusoe

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • Top Kek.
    • View Profile
    • My Github Page
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 02:36:33 am »
Like LordSuragaha stated, don't let others assumptions take over your life, my charcters name is Crusoe because my favorite chilhood story was Robinson Crusoe, though I have never been judged(Mainly because not many people heard of the story) some people may say to me: You have a really weird name, I still don't let there opinion stop me from naming my charcters Crusoe. Being creative doesn't mean having crazy names, being creative can use very simple names like turtle.

Offline Blossom Tears

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Korean SagMother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 03:25:07 am »
"Bunny? You're a pretty big bunny"

Dood it's just a name.

"What's just a name? owo"

-FacePalm-

"Kitten? You're too Big to be a Kitten"

Just a Name....

"Leo? But You're not a Lion."

So?

"Lee? Lol How Original."

"Oh, You're Evil, Wow lol"

First of all, All my chars are based off my Personality OOC or IC. xD

kden.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:27:05 am by BlossomTears »
I am Sagittas...
Korean SagMother.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 03:32:53 am »
Thank you guys for the replies <3 (I had a longer reply, but I lost it, thank you computer for being awesome at the right times T.T)

Offline Scarlet[]Death

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 01:14:53 pm »
Oh how I just hate how people do this. They judge your character and basically preach it out in Local for everyone to hear, sometimes even try to attempt to copy your character to insult you and ruin your reputation or start a temper tantrum about it. -Sigh- Really, why must some people do this? ;-;