Author Topic: How Do You Say No To Roleplay Samples  (Read 2750 times)

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Elbows are just arm knees.
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
How Do You Say No To Roleplay Samples
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:51:13 pm »
I am thinking of having people give me roleplay samples in order to join my clan.  How do you kindly say no to a person?
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Say No To Roleplay Samples
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:01:33 pm »
Due to never owning a roleplay (but I will soon! :3) before and having to read over rp samples, I can't really give an answer. But, I think that you shouldn't say "no".

I think instead of rejecting them, offer tips/hints on how to improve. For example, if someone sent a roleplay sample like this:

-she walked over- hi

Give them advice, like, "Could you perhaps be a bit more descriptive? And you should try using quotation marks around hi, to show that you are talking."

I hope you get what I'm saying here. c: If you just have to say no to them, be respectful and kind is all I can say. Again, I don't have much experience so I can't really say exactly what to do. I hope this helps. ^^

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 11:06:27 pm »
"Thank you for the sample but, unfortunately, I'm afraid it's not what we're looking for. Even so, you're more than welcome to apply in the future. Apologies, and good luck!" etc.

Be as excruciatingly polite as possible, and potentially offer details if they ask 'why'. I've had to decline a lot of samples for my own group and it's always tricky to avoid hurting the other player. Even so, definitely give them constructive advice before you decline-- and let typos slip by; everyone fumbles with the keyboard when nervous! Just never insult them or imply that they're a poor roleplayer (ie, call them illiterate)-- you really don't want to discourage anyone from doing the things they love.

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:19:52 pm »
Well, I used to lead a few Warrior Clanson other games in the past, but I mostly just did what Nemena did... and they usually just walked away.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 11:32:38 pm »
I've never led a roleplay before, but even if I did I wouldn't require an rp sample. However, if I did require them, what I would do is give the person a plot so their character actually has something to respond and react to, which will really help with determining what the person's rp style is like. If you were to just say, "Rp sample needed please." Then you'd often get a short or descriptive rp post of the person's character simply walking around, falling asleep, etc. Although, if you were to say something like, "Rp sample needed, here's the plot: your character was walking in the forest alone, and he/she wad just ambushed by an angry mother bear. What does he/she do?" (Etc) I think giving the person a plot would help them with the whole rp sample thing, and of course if they don't feel comfortable with the given plot for whatever reason, let them choose or give them another.

And of course, offer them advice with their roleplaying skills and be as kind as possible in the whole thing so you don't offend them c:
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 12:59:06 am »
Being kind to them and giving tips or advice for future reference should be the nicer way to do so. Just never be rude, considering things can stir drama and issues in the future if going that rout.

~ Whisper

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 02:04:11 am »
just don't say "zomg you're such an illiterate kid go back to bonfire island and roleplay your stupid tlk lionz LAWL IM SO EDGY AND MATURE".

that response made me not roleplay for a long period of time anymore.

Offline StarrieNova

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 52
  • Cuddle Fluff
    • StarrieNova
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 05:57:34 am »
If I were to give out role-play samples, and someone wasn't qualified enough this is what I usually say:

"I appreciate you sending me a role-play sample, but I am more than sorry to say that your role-play did not fit the criteria of our role-play. Though I will do my best to help you find a role-play by suggesting you to some friends who have a role-play you may be interested in."

or

"I am very sorry to say, but your role-play was not quite what I was looking for. Though I do very much appreciate your cooperation. I wish you luck in finding a role-play that best fits you though because my role-play clearly doesn't fit how amazing of a floof you are."

Siggy by: MittenstheNoble

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 03:46:02 am »
If they don't live up to your roleplaying expectations, it's always fine to say no.

Nontheless, you should be respectful about it.

I won't mention some things because many of the wonderful players have already contributed, so I'll keep it short and sweet.

~In my opinion, I would make sure you use the word "no" or at least express the intention very clearly. I cannot mention how many times I've been confused by the roleplaying captain (is that what it's called?) because they were so terribly afraid of hurting my feelings.

~Only offer them advice if they ask for it. Or at least say, "Would you like some tips to help make your rp samples better?" If you go shouting things at them, or even politely explaining to them what they did "wrong," they're going to feel like they're breaking some sort of rules. They're going to feel pressured into it (even if it makes them a better rper), and they might honestly get a bit annoyed.

~Say your please's and thank you's. Even if their sample wasn't much to talk about, they still put an effort into it- even if you had more trouble deciphering it than they did writing it.

~Wish them good luck. Everyone likes to hear that.

~You should explain why you won't accept them. This is very different from telling them what they did wrong, or giving them advice. You're not scolding them. You're not telling them what they should do. You're simply explaining why you don't want them in your rp.

~Give them a second chance. Everyone deserves one; but if the second chance wasn't good either, it's still fine to say no.

~If you have a realistic rp, and they only want to be bright, neon characters, don't scold them for it, but instead, point them in the direction of another rp that accepts colorful animals. (:

~TIP: This is a personal thing. All rp samples, aren't like this, but this is just personal input. Tell them BEFORE what you're looking for- not in a sense so much as telling them specific details you need in order for them to join. I mean this- Tell them if your rp takes place in third person, first person, etc. Make sure they know what form they should be writing in. You don't want someone sending this--> "I looked up at the sky with a dreamy daze across my face. Oh, how the wind feels nice against my face!" If you're looking for this, "The wolf sat at the edge of the cliff, gently lifting her face into the cool breeze. The wind rustled through her fur, and she closed her eyes in bliss."

Well, I guess this wasn't so short-and-sweet after all...Oh well. I hope my input counts for something. ^.^

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.