Author Topic: Dark Humor  (Read 6322 times)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Dark Humor
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:27:06 pm »
Not sure if I should consider this as a mini "rant" or a general address but something has been bothering me for the past few weeks on Feral Heart and that's the dark humor some users have on very disturbing, depressing, and serious topics.

The main topic I'm talking about here is Ebola.

Yes it's not something I like to talk about very much but given the gravity of the topic I felt I needed to state some things. This issue is a very important issue going on in our world. It's been taking the lives of many people for quite some time now and it's caused a lot of suffering, pain, and fear.

So why do so many users on FH think that this is the kind of topic to throw around disrespectfully and worse joke about?

The dark sense of humor in some users on FH is disgusting and it's not limited to jokes about ebola but it's also seen constantly with talk of rape, terrorism, and suicide. I seriously fail to see the humor in these topics. Have some users really stooped this low?

I think that it's time for some users to reevaluate themselves and their maturity level. I also think some users need to use their brain and hearts when bringing up discussions like these or better yet don't bring up these discussions. Consider the severity of these topics before letting yourself speak of them in such an insensitive and childish manner. Think deeply about how you'd feel if any of these issues effected someone or something you love dearly. Would you be happy to hear others make such a mockery of your or your loved ones suffering? I highly doubt it.

Please stop embarrassing yourselves and ruining the integrity of this game and community because every time someone does something bad here they have an effect on the entire community and out look of this game.

So I suggest that we do this-

Let's keep Feral Heart as:

- a happy & fun place.
- a community of friends & family
- a safe refuge
- an imaginative canvas
-  an escape from the harshness of reality

But more importantly let's start by improving ourselves as not only players but individuals.

Offline Metronome

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • IF YOU SMEEEEEELLLLL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Humor
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 04:33:18 pm »
I understand fully with this statement here. Dark humor is typically taken to far, by either people who think they're funny, edgy, etc. In some cases, some people may make these dark humor jokes as a form of coping through something. Sort of like a woman I knew whom was raped, but makes rape jokes as a way of coping through the experience. It may not always work out, but it could be that way. Other than that, I understand and agree with your 'rant'.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:00:55 pm by Pulp »

"CLIMB THE LADDER KID, MAKE YOURSELF FAMOUS!"- Jim Ross

Video game, zombie, pro wrestling, and giant monster enthusiast. PM if you wish for Steam username.
In-game name: Geekboy27

Offline Espurr

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:09:56 pm »
Can I just say that I've waited so long for somebody to call out behaviour like this on the forum?

As somebody who's struggled with one of the topics mentioned I can get pretty uncomfortable when it's brought up in a joking manner and I honestly thank you for asking people to stop. I (and I'm sure lots of other people) really appreciate it! ;w;

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 05:15:11 pm »
Couldn't have said it better myself, Sura.

While I don't mind people have a slightly dark side to their sense of humour, really heavy topics such as Ebola, suicide are terrorism and on a level far beyond acceptable. I've seen people do this in other parts of the internet as well as in FeralHeart and I really dislike it.

The fact that people find these things amusing to joke is the most disturbing thing. There's literally nothing funny about these things. They're serious subjects that need to be addressed in a serious manner, rather than light-heartedly with happy faces and giggles.

There's also the fact that you don't really know the people who are listening in to the conversation. For all we know, any one of them could be suffering at the hands of Ebola, could be having suicidal thoughts or have a loved one who they lost in a terrorist attack. It's insensitive and inconsiderate to talk about these things when those sort people could be present.

Not to mention it really ruins the atmosphere of the game. How depressing is it when you're happily chatting away with someone or roleplaying and some randomer comes out with "Omg we're all gonna catch ebola and die!" It's extremely unpleasant! When we're here, we don't want to think about those things; we just to have some time to chill out and relax and escape from reality for a little while. It kind of defeats the objective when people come out with those sort of sentences.

I'd urge people in-game on FeralHeart, and on other places on the internet too, to just think before deciding to say something. Think about the people who are listening and who they might be or what's going on in their lives. It'll save us all a lot of distress.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:17:58 pm by DoctorFlob »

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 05:23:05 pm »
I don't find something as to death a "funny" thing at all. Let alone if the subject is being used as a excuse for Dark Humor is just sad. But it isn't here I noticed it happening, mostly everyone is subjected to this Dark Humor, even parents. Like a few days ago after the Ebola outbreak started to go around I was very very ill, cold, sleepy, and coughing ALOT. At that time I was just so paranoid and thought I had it. Then.....

Mom: Maybe you got the Ebola (smiles and laughs)
Me:.......get out.

So everyone does this no matter there age, I wish they didn't have such humor as this since this kinda subject does touch on health afflictions and you CAN die from this Ebola. I agree with your rant tho, this kinda thing should not be "picked fun at" or subjects of mental/physical health that a person can't help but have.

I think that it's time for some users to reevaluate themselves and their maturity level. I also think some users need to use their brain and hearts when bringing up discussions like these or better yet don't bring up these discussions. Consider the severity of these topics before letting yourself speak of them in such an insensitive and childish manner. Think deeply about how you'd feel if any of these issues effected someone or something you love dearly. Would you be happy to hear others make such a mockery of your or your loved ones suffering? I highly doubt it.
I might not have been around game to see alot of people talk disrespectfully on this subject, but if ever I did I would address to them that their comments are unnecessary and shameful that they would make fun of this serious thing. For  people who don't take into consideration of others feelings or reactions to this Dark "humor" you are just degrading yourself and you are theoretically preforming a form of harassment. I suggest for future Dark Humor such as this is to be carried out, watch what you say and keep the FH game a friendly goofy place. FH is the best place to relax and zen from the outside world. There is no need to bring stuff like Dark Humor in game, Like a wise person said:
"If you don't have something nice to say, Don't say it at all."
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline Turtl

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Smallest profile picture to date.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:57:41 pm »
you CAN die from this Ebola.
You probably will if you get it, but back ontopic I'm glad you are talking about this other games have this proble aswell perfectly fine community's seeming like completetly ruining your experience because ebola is thrown around like cancer is on all those forums these days, honestly I'm not even sure if this is still 'dark humor'.

Death is not fun, Its not something to be afriad of but its not fun either atleast I dont see a reason to be afraid of death But its certainly not something to laugh about. personally I do laugh at a good joke even if its dark humor but 'jokes' about terrorism, suicide and sickness alike I do not see the humor in.

I'm glad that this is brought to this topic and I hope this enlightens many readers.

"Quiet people have the loudest minds."
- Stephen Hawking

Offline Anathema

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 07:17:31 pm »
I agree with you whole-heartedly, Suragaha; these kinds of subjects aren't acceptable, and they should not be spoken of, either on FH or elsewhere. Unfortunately there's some people that have to joke about these things; but if they're going to do it, they should do it in whisper and not in local where everyone can see it.

Offline Crusoe

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • Top Kek.
    • View Profile
    • My Github Page
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 11:05:03 pm »
I totally agree here. This stuff even happens at school. Kids are joking about Ebola like it's nothing serious at all but in truth it could kill off an entire population. The topic of Ebola is very sensitive to me because I know a good friend who lives in Africa near places that have Ebola infected people. It is quite scary to see what Ebola can do to a person, so in truth the topic of Ebola shouldn't mentioned in game at ALL.

Offline Necropossum

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • Goatlinqs.exe has crashed
    • MayasiRin
    • Goatlinqs_jpg
    • View Profile
    • ColorsLive
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 12:51:05 am »
I just wanna point this out that I think the reason people make these jokes aren't to be funny but to make it seem less scary for themselves and others. Anytime I'm in a scary situation in making jokes to keep my mind from the scary things. We all know these things are bad or at least I hope we all do but honestly I think the only people who actually make these jokes are to make it seem less scary yes some people may treat it like dumb thing to joke about but I'd say most people are just joking and honestly I hate some of the jokes too especially the ones at my school cause I know the person who started it is just trying to be funny not take it seriously or to make it seem less scary. Well that's all I wanted to say might aswell avoid this before I get jumped for being 'inconsiderate' like I usually am.

Signature drawn by Me

S. Italy/Romano

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 01:40:38 am »
The terms black comedy or dark comedy have been later derived as alternatives to Breton's term. In black humor, topics and events that are usually regarded as taboo, specifically those related to death, are treated in an unusually humorous or satirical manner while retaining their seriousness; the intent of black comedy, therefore, is often for the audience to experience both laughter and discomfort, sometimes simultaneously. -Wikipedia

I myself have quite a pessimistic outlook on life and I typically lean more towards satyrical and dark humour, since it's something I find myself enjoying more than "-slips on banana peel-" or "Haha, she farted!". I like when comedy gives me something to reflect on after the initial chuckle or laugh or simply makes me genuinely laugh. Comedy like "Mind your language" succeeded quite often, even though it's not dark humour. Franz Kafka's "Metamorphosis" book was and is probably my favourite book to date and yes, it has dark humour.

However, this is beyond my comprehension. Why on earth would you scream "We're all gonna get Ebola!" ? It's not funny, it's not ironic, it's not even chuckle-worthy. There's definitely nothing good to reflect on (other than how and when you might die), neither is there any context right now in which it can be used to generate humour. It's just rather annoying and rude.

Look, I enjoy dark humour that actually can be classified as "humour". Running around shouting things related to the subjects mentioned is probably not even going to get my attention.

Then there is another thing I believe can be added to this:

Do not expect people to enjoy the same thing you do. If somehow you enjoy running around screaming about Ebola, that's fine, I won't chastise you for it if you don't get in my face with it, but don't go around expecting others to enjoy it as well. If anything, you should keep humour that seems or is offensive to yourself. No one should need to tell you to stop doing that, I believe everyone here can tell themselves "This might offend someone, better I keep it to myself."

There's nothing more that I cannot stand than people who act so oblivious; it's practically seeping through their pores that their only intention is to get you angry by making it look like they're allowed everything because they "didn't know".

-

At the same time though, most people just don't think about how their jokes can seem hurtful or insensitive to others. There's been many times where I'd crack a joke that was poorly received by my classroom peers in high school.

At that time I'd really sit there dumbfounded as to why they didn't enjoy it whereas I though it was hilarious only a few seconds ago. They may have been sensitive to those things, but I learned to just laugh it off, my way of dealing with negativity was to build up a thick hide, yet I didn't consider that my peers may have been through less or do not handle these things the same way I do. In hindsight, I can now see why.

Some people are blunt. Others that are not, might feel like the blunt people are coming off as rude. It all depends on how and who says it and how it is received. Still, the point stands, everyone should know better than to take a heavy subject and start to make cringe humour on it.