Author Topic: Re-using Names and Characters  (Read 2799 times)

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Re-using Names and Characters
« on: December 26, 2014, 01:28:46 am »
So, I join a lot of roleplays here on the forum as well as create them, and I am a Facebook roleplayer (a place where the most horrifying roleplays I have ever seen take place). I have to fill out applications or make a new character or whatever, and I've found that I reuse characters and names. A lot.

Sometimes I use the same character with different species and ages, such as my character Duni. I change her into a human kid, an adult murderer, or her regular 'form' as a wolf. Other times, I have a name that is reused for different characters, such as Ingi who is the name of 1. A librarian with a love of reading and learning, 2. An elder wolf who is the alpha of her own pack, 3. A girl with a brother named Carlos who is a kinda jerk, and 4. A leopard who hates lions. Soyeah

I don't know why I do this, probably just because I am one of the most lazy people you'll ever meet and I am too lazy to think of names. Plus, I tend to rush through things, so if a name pops into my head, I'll use it.

Do any of you guys have this problem of reusing names or characters but in different ways? I'm not the only one am I? DX

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
Re: Re-using Names and Characters
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 05:38:13 pm »
Facebook roleplays are horrid

Yeah, I've done this. A lot.

I've re-used.... Three striped hyenas, and turned them into either humans or anthros at one point...
Hmmmm...
I've also re-used a few old personas and fursonas of mine, but truth be told, I wait a LONG time before reusing 'em.
No need for people to realize it's the exact same character as before.

I can be so lazy

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 06:04:44 pm »
Vespian doesn't tend to do this.

Re-usin' a character/a character's name is somethin' I do not prefer. Granted I limit myself to possessin' only 5 characters and 5 characters only, constantly re-usin' them for whatever reason slowly dismantles the original background and thought I've put into each and every one of them. This is just my perspective. I like to keep my characters to their original faces. If they start out in one role-play but the role-play dies and I transfer them to another, I manipulate the former role-play they were in to craft a bit of a history. Take Vespian, for example. He's been in countless role-plays and I've even lead a particular role-play with him myself but all things come to an end eventually. When each role-play died, I never started him over or killed him off to patch his name and identity onto another pixel. Instead, over the course of time I've had the bloke, I've come to better piece together who he is.
Another example is Vespian's specter, The Puppeteer. The Puppeteer used to be my former fursona named Lucifer Levian Secerator, the younger brother of another character of mine who's currently still alive and well. When Lucifer, nicknamed Hatred by those who knew him, died, I did not choose to re-use his name or actually kill him off since he was my fursona. Instead, I researched a bit of demonology and made him into what he is today. A demon of Puppetry who haunts my current fursona, Vespian.

All in all, I typically weave everythin' that happens together to create one big story rather than erasin' and startin' over on the pages if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:07:41 pm by Vespian »
gone

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 06:08:56 pm »
I usually don't reuse character names during any sort of roleplay. The only times I would do this is if the same character is carried over to another game.
But I may use the name in some random game. For example, I named one of my Maplestory characters AkullTwisted, which is copied from my Wyldercat, Akull, and I have an arcanine named Faisal in pokemon.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 07:18:57 am »
Usually I'm always coming up with names, too many to use, in fact. So yeah, I almost never reuse names or anything else
Farewell everyone<3

lindaminda

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 12:05:45 pm »
Yeah, I've had many many characters with the same name, not because I was to lazy to create a different name, but because I thought that If I change my OC's (character) name, someone else will ''copy/take'' the name I used to have.

Offline Yognaught

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 07:18:47 pm »
Sometimes. If it's an unimportant character that I created in like 5 seconds, I'd probably re-use names. Mostly 'Arin' for characters. istgitsnotgamegrumpspls

Find me in-game as: mushyroom

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 03:28:20 pm »
I used to re-use characters very often when I started out, but now I don't. There are some characters I would just resurrect in another name, however I'm learning that this would restrict me from experimenting. With that, I don't re-use the same character or names.

I try to be as original as possible with my characters because like anyone else, I want to be different. Even if they're a similar character someone else has, it's just simple coincidence.   

Sometimes. If it's an unimportant character that I created in like 5 seconds, I'd probably re-use names. Mostly 'Arin' for characters. istgitsnotgamegrumpspls

I do this, too, when the mood rises. If I ever create a character just for the fun of it, I still want them to be different from the other characters I already have. Five seconds or five days, I still like for my characters to have some dignity. I mean, why not?   
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Bluparrot

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 08:25:03 pm »
I have that problem too sometimes. I used to be able to come up with names for my characters in a flash, but now I either have to think for a really long time, use a generator, or even re-use names.

Shake it!
Blu Parrot - The Pokemon Fanbird of FeralHeart

wolfdog01

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 07:53:07 am »

Same. I usually will throw out a char that I just poofed and will usually use simple names like Jacob, Draco, Drake, etc. But if it is a char I plan on using for a while, I will give them their own name. I used to base all of my chars names from Japanese words XD but now I name them according to their personallity ^^

coughlovegamegrumpscough:I