Offline Muffin

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Patience is a virtue~
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
Help?
« on: December 26, 2014, 07:18:17 pm »
Okay, so I started playing FeralHeart close to around the time it came out (not sure exactly how close, but it's been a while). The last laptop I had FeralHeart installed on was my Dell, which was a rebuild, I'm not sure on all the technical things that go with that. Well, we ended up having to get rid of my laptop, it contracted viruses and pretty soon the battery went bad, and after that my mom could not get windows re-installed onto the lap top (she went to college for computers so she knew how to do it). My mom said it was because of this game, and I was under the impression that FeralHeart contained no viruses.

So, I haven't been on FeralHeart in over a year, and I miss it.

For Christmas, I got a HP laptop, and it's brand new, not a rebuild or anything. I will be using this laptop for things in my biology class and other classes, but I want to re-download FeralHeart. My grandpa said we'd try it after he downloads some kind of anti-virus software on the laptop, and said that if there is anything at all wrong in the game, viruses and whatnot, that the program would catch it and I wou;d not be able to download the game.

So what I'm asking is, is there any way that someone could have contracted a virus from the download of FeralHeart. Maybe not from the game, but maybe something extra that come with it? I've heard about issues with the Bing toolbar that comes with the download, and to not allow the laptop to install that, but is there anything else? I really can't afford to have another broken laptop. Thank you, to whoever helps.

AlphaEclipse

Re: Help?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 10:24:35 pm »
I promise you that the Feralheart setup (as long as it's downloaded from this site) has no malicious programs/software contained in its download. I cannot promise you that the game download from other, unofficial sites doesn't have viruses/malware included though. I'm honestly not sure where you could have contracted a virus when you had downloaded the game. Currently, I could imagine someone accidentally catching something through Adfly (a site the site redirects to one you click the download for the setup) by misclicking, however that isn't from the actual game/setup/download/Feralheart site itself. The only other way that you could've caught something was through some sort of unofficial modification that you possibly could've downloaded for the game (which is highly unlikely, and I do not believe has ever occurred before on FH at all before.) All official downloads are perfectly safe and trustworthy, and come from the game's staff themselves.

The only "extra" that comes with the download I believe is just the Bing bar (just as you've stated, and it's very common for any setups to ask you to download. I get the all the time!) and that can be canceled and even if downloaded accidentally, can be removed, and isn't really too major. Sometimes antiviruses will send warnings about installing Feralheart, but that's nothing to worry about - it's the antivirus/malware being overly-sensitive.  
Hopefully that helped you with your question, and if you need more reassurance, you could also PM a staff member for more information.

Offline Muffin

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Patience is a virtue~
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 11:00:14 pm »
Thank you so much, that really does make me feel a bit better, and I really do miss the game. I'll let my grandpa read this and hopefully when we download the anti-virus software everything goes well.

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 11:26:31 pm »
No problem, Ginger! Good luck!