Author Topic: Roleplaying Style  (Read 4053 times)

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Roleplaying Style
« on: December 30, 2014, 06:42:28 am »
quickly posting this before i go to bed cause it's midnight bleh

How do you guys roleplay? One liners, 10 paragraphs, wolfspeak, etc.?

I change how I roleplay depending on the rp level of my rp partner. I usually roleplay one-liners with my rp buddy on Facebook, paragraphs on Feralheart, and sentences up to a few paragraphs in forum rps. My preferred rp style would be a paragraph or two. I honestly can't stand like 5 long paragraphs or more for a single rp post. Keep it short n' sweet.

Also, I prefer to roleplay in the third person unless it makes sense to use the first person point of view. First person just kinda sounds awkward to me and it limits some of the things you can do in the rp.

Btw, in case you didn't know, here's a little glossary thing that is my view on some of the terms:

One liners:

This would be just a sentence or part of a sentence. Ex: *Walks around* or Eats food in the forest.

Sentence rp:

This would be a sentence or a few. Not a full paragraph, but not a part of a sentence like one-liners. Ex: The wolf walked around in the forest. He stopped to drink from the pond and walked off. (Bad example sorry)

Paragraph rp:

Simple enough, just a paragraph or two of detailed text. Not gonna give an example because reasons (aka. laziness)

So, how about you guys? Do you like to rp in txt tlk, use wolfspeak, or rp in 20 paragraphs? How do you roleplay, and what is your preferred rp style?

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplaying Style
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 07:00:53 am »
i don't really rp anymore but i got comfortable with the paragraph style. idk one liners bother me. for the writing portion i don't do txt speak unless im not being serous but i don't go too far as dreaded wolfspeak woah.

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 07:16:44 am »
Vespian tends to role-play long paragraphs (rangin' between 5-12+ dependin' on my muse) in third person only. When Vespian role-plays, I tend to type as if I'm writin' a full-blown novel. Makin' sure to add details of the settin', the expression of my characters, their inner thoughts and mental stability, etc.
Vocabulary wise, I do use a few big terms (such as salaamed, pacify, whimsy, lackadaisical, titian etc) and yes, from time to time I do use a few legit anatomy terms (like phalanges, patella, scapula, epidermis, etc) but I am careful that whenever I use these terms, I have the surrounding sentence provide context clues so the readers won't look at Vespian and question what I mean. I am also careful in usin' said terms correctly- so no, Vespian does not wolfspeak.
I have a habit of entwinin' poetry into my works. Makin' Vespian recite lyrics, certain quotes, and even makin' sentences out of his dialogue fluent and a bit delirious. It allows me to express just how mad and burdened with psychosis he really is. How haunted he is by his own mind so it's more than just the, "I'm goin' to kill all of ye'." It takes more to be a madman than just an uncanny lust for death. Though Vespian is far from the best for there are many role-players out there I do admire. Some might post here in this thread.
gone

Offline MadMoai

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Sleepy woof
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 02:43:33 pm »
I started out roleplaying on forums. At first I only wrote very short posts, but as I got more practice over the course of several years I started writing longer and longer posts, and now I like to write posts with lengths of a few paragraphs. My introductory posts to an RP are always the longest, usually around 10 paragraphs so I have enough detail to bring in the character and the setting. However, FH doesn't facilitate those long posts as well with the character limit in the chat box, so on FH I've adjusted to writing posts closer to 1-2 paragraphs long.

As for the style itself, I like to write in third person, but I also pay attention a lot to what my character thinks and notices about their surroundings. I would use first person, but I worry about others using first person as well, which would confuse me because then there would be more than one "I." :P

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 05:55:41 pm »
Ehhhhh
I tend to do at least a paragraph and a half myself, since I prefer to have a few nice details, but I don't want to go overboard and do forty paragraphs(Yes that's an exaggeration but you get my point).

I don't use Wolfspeak, don't intend to....
As for one-liners... Ehhhh....
If I have nothing to really work with(Or I"m too lazy), I'll do that or at least a minimum of two sentences.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 06:06:29 pm »
In the rare occasion where I rp here on FH, I usually post about one paragraph. On WQ, it's just the simple one-liner
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 07:42:52 pm »
I mostly use around 1-1.5 paragraphs when roleplaying. I like to use detail and stuff, but not too much. I tend to use simple terms most of the time, but if I get caught up in a big roleplay, I crank up the vocab a bit.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Whinp

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 10:14:48 pm »
wolfspeak lul

Jk. I don't roleplay a long time ago now that I notice it... I wish my computer was out of repair already :(
But I think that I used to make setence roleplay. I can write correctly and all and maybe write a paragraph but sometimes I'm lazy to write anything so I do setence rp instead.

In-game name as: Whinp

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 10:42:28 pm »
It honestly depends on what I'm doing! When I'm with my group, it's generally gargantuan 10+ part posts. Then again, I'm often tasked with DMing the scenery-- which understandably requires a lot of description alongside your character's own actions. I avoid, and loathe wolfspeak, though don't shy away from complex terminology. In other roleplays, it's rarely more than two or three paragraphs; it's best to keep things flowing without unnecessary information-- eg, stopping to describe every nuance of your character's eyecolour in excruciating detail.

In Bonfire, I generally post a short paragraph and keep my vocabulary as simple as possible. It's an entirely different tub of potatoes! Don't really want to exclude anyone there.

Offline kaczuszka

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 02:08:33 pm »
I prefer doing about one and a half paragraphs on Fh. When I am roleplaying with a friend or so, I don't really
Try to make it REALLY detailed and accurate, but when I'm in a group with large amount if people I try
My best at bringing all the detail (so I can impress them xD) But  I alsways have a problem when I roleplay in a group
Although the I try my hardest after a sentence or two, I immeadetly have nothing in my head. I can't think
Of Nything else to add in, the pressure ~
Whilst around my friends I just don't really care what I write unless we're in a seriouse roleplay.
hi hello