Author Topic: Different roleplaying styles?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline WhiskerWatcher

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 26
  • Red haired animal!
    • MsWhiskersArt
    • Ms Whiskers
    • View Profile
Different roleplaying styles?
« on: January 25, 2015, 08:27:35 pm »
Throughout my time on Feral Heart i've noticed many different personalities and characters. But most importantly different styles of roleplay. Have you guys ever noticed that? There seem to be different types, as in a more "action-based/physical" style and a more "mental/emotional-based" style.

To put this in to perspective here are some examples that i feel suit the two categories.

"Action-based/physical"

[Lets just call the character, Blue]

Blue lay down slowly, the cool grass against her stomach. Her azure blue coat prickled as the cold wind breezed past. She twitched her ears as a silhouette emerged from the den behind her. Blue kept aware, unknown of this character. Her mint green eyes scanned the terrain ahead of her, twitching her whiskers in caution.

Now i'll explain what i mean by "mental/emotional"

Blue often pondered why many lacked common sense these days, she was always an opinionated individual. Never quite understanding on how others never often thought twice of this wise trait. She always had a different perspective on things, almost as if her opinions and actions were based off of her morality and sensibility. Blue came to a conclusion that this is what caused many to fall into misery and catastrophe, a "tragedy" as it's known.

What do you guys think?
Which "style" do you think you use more often? Or do you use both?
Of course i'm not downgrading any roleplaying, this was just a thought i came across as i played the game.
Love you all <3

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
Re: Different roleplaying styles?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:44:30 pm »
I use a mix of both, depending on what I'm doing.
If it's meeting someone's character for the first time, or in an emotional conversation, then mental.
But if it's a battle or just walking/sleeping/eating, stuff like that, then physical.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Sandfury

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 06:38:40 am »
I go more for the 'physical' style than 'mental' style. Very rarely I make my character think, I can't think that well in my character's head.

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 06:54:57 am »
A majority of the time, I actually use a mix of both. Both physical and mental. That way my role-play post won't be a complete guess as to what my character may be doin' but neither will it be a guess as to what my character may be feelin'/thinkin' at the given time. It helps bring out the most of whom I may be role-playin' as and it makes things a tad bit more interestin' in my honest opinion. Gotta have a bit of both, settin' and character development throughout the tale to make a memorable story.
gone

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 04:05:54 pm »
Let's see......
Mostly, I do a mix of the two, though, when I 'start off' a roleplay, it's mainly environmental actually.
Setting the stage, and then I do the physical, and may or may not do the mental.

Though when I'm just doing private roleplays with friends, I do more of a narrator style.
I act and talk sarcastically as the narrator, while still giving detail and information about what's happening.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 08:08:58 pm »
A mixture of both. I've found that solely emotional roleplay that describes your character's internal monologue gives the other player very little to respond to. They can't read your character's thoughts; to them, it looks like you're sitting doing nothing. It often results in a whole lot of thinking-- with very little actually happening. It's a fantastic way to learn more about other peoples' characters, but it admittedly does fall short in terms of actual interaction.

Exclusively physical description does work-- and can work brilliantly, but combining them both to offer little snippets of your character's psyche often leads to the most enjoyable development and roleplay. Neither is wrong, but including the best of both styles works the best in my own opinion.

Offline wolflover18178

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 18
  • Flower crowns make everyone happier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 03:27:41 am »
I roleplay badly...lol
Le example-

-Sits down in grass boredly-

that's about da best I can do.. sooo i'ma just say I do neither of those styles o3o

Offline AmarisMingan

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Luck is a shimmer in the darkness.
    • https://steamcommunity.com/profi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 11:22:40 am »
Physical roleplays work best for me most of the time. But other than that I do a mixture as well whenever I know a good story to mirror upon the character I'm on at that moment.
I rarely make them think though, but it would be better to mix it up sometimes to make a story understandable for others whom I roleplay with.
Mainly because of what Crookfish said. If one roleplays about a character's mental actions most of the time, it gives you very little to respond to, in my opinion. It makes singly.

Whenever I give myself the opportunity to roleplay, which I hardly do, I use mental over physical when starting the first lines, but end up using both or only physical.
Av - AzureHowlShliach

Offline Yognaught

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 05:55:14 pm »
I normally do a mix of both. Mostly mental/emotional even though it's kind of frowned upon for not being very productive.

Find me in-game as: mushyroom

Offline TheApplePie

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • I breathe dan howell
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 06:55:44 pm »
I normally concentrate on the actions and description of what my character is doing. However if I do use the more mental side of the character I put it in somewhere where it's appropriate. Just so that I don't fill a needed space in with random information. That would be yuck. (When my character is sleeping, watching over something, ect.)

let's be emo in a gerard way

http://fiixl.deviantart.com/