Author Topic: What was the first custom map you downloaded?  (Read 4429 times)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
What was the first custom map you downloaded?
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:13:04 pm »
What was your very first custom map experience like on Feral heart?

Here is a chance to share all about your first custom map experience on Feral Heart. Your story might make others decide to explore the map too or start their own experience. It's also a nice way to give a shout out to our many talented map makers!

Here are some start up questions. Answer which ever you like however you like:

-What was the map that you downloaded? (Feel free to link it here for others to see)

-Does the map still exist?

-Who made the map?

-Where did you find the map? Did a friend tell you about it or did you find it while browsing the Feral Heart map board, DeviantArt, or other source?

-What about it interested you enough to download it?

-What did you use the map for? Was it a calm escape, a place for friends to socialize and play, or a map used for roleplay?

-If you roleplayed in the map what memorable adventures did you have?

-What was your favorite thing about the map?

My first custom map & experience with it

One of the first memorable maps I downloaded on Feral Heart was the user Kerrigan's Iron Ore Valley map.

You can find the link to it here:

http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=5511.0

I found the map while browsing the Feral Heart site's map board. I was very bored and wanted to explore someone's custom world and while flipping through numerous threads the one of the Iron Ore Valley captured my interest. From the screenshots the map looked incredibly lush, captivating, and large. It seemed like the perfect place for a fun explorative adventure. My favorite part of the map was its feeling of vastness but also its small secluded areas in all the vastness from the dens, logs, and hidden corners.

I never got the chance to roleplay in the map but I did spend a great deal of time running through it enjoying the scenery. It was one of the first maps that inspired me to learn how to make my own maps and it opened my craving to explore more of the community's fascinating custom worlds.

Although I have numerous old screenshots from when I first explored it I shall only post two here x3 Feel free to download & explore the lovely map yourself!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:21:29 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Re: What was the first custom map you downloaded?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 08:36:40 pm »

What was the map that you downloaded? (Feel free to link it here for others to see)
Hmmm... I faintly remember my first ever downloaded custom map because once I found out how to download them, I went crazy. However, I believe one of my first downloaded maps (that I can remember) was called 'Africa'. Very simple of course, but I remember it being one huge lovely map, and it felt like home. Most of the map was TLK based. It had a pride rock, river and the elephant graveyard. Many people would bring their roleplays into that map and it just overall felt so heart warming and brought people close.

Does the map still exist?
I'm very unsure if it does, but it no longer exists within my exports folder. I used to have the map on my first laptop... R.I.P... It was also downloadable on its own website which came from a Pride RP but soon released as public.

Where did you find the map? Did a friend tell you about it or did you find it while browsing the Feral Heart map board, DeviantArt, or other source?
ike mentioned previously, I found this on a website, a pride website. It contained the map's download source and soon went for public view which was awesome. An old forgotten friend gave me the link to the map once it was first released to the Pride.

What did you use the map for? Was it a calm escape, a place for friends to socialize and play, or a map used for roleplay?
Agan, like said previously, this map was a Role-play map for prides. All ever so calm and lovely, felt like home and was a great place to go when you had a lot on your mind or if you wanted to run away from personal things. The real object for the map was for role-playing but it soon turned to a different objective.

If you roleplayed in the map what memorable adventures did you have?
I remember meeting an making a few friends there on the map, as well as having fun with them in the role-plays. We all had a blast and made the role-play more interesting as days and nights went by. I can still remember all the fun and laughs we had in that pride, it brings back so many lovely memories, I wish it never ended sometimes.

What was your favorite thing about the map?
My most favored thing from that map was mostly the accuracy of the pride rock. They built that thing from scratch and it turned out marvelous! The watering hole is also a strong point to the map. Mostly cozy and you could almost feel the warmth there when the sun rose from the horizon. When you F3'd through the blades of grass and saw the sun rising behind the multiple objects... it was just so beautiful!

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:06:33 pm »
What was the map that you downloaded?
Maps Redone by Devynex (Turtlex). It was pretty much alternate versions of the default game maps, with spoof areas and more meshes/details.

Does the map still exist?
Yes, but the creator unfortunately lost the files for it.

Where did you find the map? Did a friend tell you about it or did you find it while browsing the Feral Heart map board, DeviantArt, or other source?
Actually, she told me about it herself. I was looking for a place to roleplay on my first FHORD last year, and so she told me about it.

What did you use the map for? Was it a calm escape, a place for friends to socialize and play, or a map used for roleplay?
Mostly for roleplay (I had my first legitimate roleplay plot there <3), but we hung out a bit too. Lots of dance lines at M8 Center Island. XD

If you roleplayed in the map what memorable adventures did you have?
Well, as I stated above, I had my first real roleplay there. Me, Dev, Darkky and lots of other floofs got together in a plot that we're actually still using. My experiences there definitely helped me with both my literacy, and my character development.

What was your favorite thing about the map?
The added areas. Not only did she include a detailed Outlands and Warrior Cat Camps, but a lot of spoof areas as well. All them islands... XD

Ah, good times...

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:28:01 pm »
-What was the map that you downloaded? (Feel free to link it here for others to see)

Oh boy I forgot xD I believe it was either a map for a pack I joined which I forgot the name of, or the Forest of Lights (which I installed incorrectly so none of the meshes showed up. #GoNewbiePower!)

FOL: I'm pretty sure, yes.
PackMap: No idea. The download is only allowed to pack members... and the pack as well as all the members slowly became inactive.

-Who made the map?

FOL: By looking at the forum post, Genesis9.
PackMap: The alpha of the pack.

-Where did you find the map? Did a friend tell you about it or did you find it while browsing the Feral Heart map board, DeviantArt, or other source?

FOL: I was a newbie back in ye' old days (aka 2-3 years ago) and I'm assuming I saw a forum post. I wasn't such a nervous and cautious thing back then so I explored it.
PackMap: I wanted to join the pack, so I got the map.

FOL: I don't remember. It looked purdy I guess.

-What did you use the map for? Was it a calm escape, a place for friends to socialize and play, or a map used for roleplay?

FOL: I mostly just explored it once by myself, so nothing much.
PackMap: Roleplaying with my pack members.

PackMap: A lot. I met some good friends, and that ended up being my first and only roleplay I had joined.

----

I also remember downloading Ferallands (I believe that was the name? I dunno, but it was such a beautiful map!) and a few others. I started making my own maps pretty early on though as well, so I mostly hung out in those. Agh thanks for making me want to go back to my old days as a sparkledog who just wanted to roleplay with everyone since now I'm a lonely nervous person who stays in Lonely Cave and only talks to my friends XD waitoops

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:53:43 pm »
ooh let me remember.
hmmm let's see...
the first one was probably my first friend on here, it wasn't really much... just those awesome house meshes i wanted so badly!
Those were some good times.......
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 03:06:44 am »
My first ATTEMPT at downloading and installing a map ended in.... Crashing the game and losing my character.
Because I was too stupid to uninstall the map.

The first one that actually WORKED.... Um....
I think it was.... A map called 'A-Valley' or some Warrior Cat map.

It was a long while ago man...

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Vask

• #2FAB4U
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • Chaotic Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 03:43:07 pm »
I approve of this topic

Oh dear I believe it was a map for a pack I had recently joined. At that time I thought the map was absolutely beautiful and very unique. Which it still is of course, but(looking back) I realize it was rather simple with not too many meshes really.

Probably somewhere. But the download is most likely lost in time and space. Once I switched computers and transitioned kind of how I played Feral Heart I had several other maps cluttering my exports. Who knows where it is now really.

-Who made the map?
I wish I knew! It was a good map. Most likely the pack leader who I met only once to be truthful

Once I joined one of my friends in the group told me that I needed to download it. She was very helpful through the whole process of the installation.

Well aside from the fact that it was for a pack, I was interested in the idea of separate maps. I thought it was amazing that people could make their own maps and share them. Usually I turned away mapped packs for the reason that I didn't have the foggiest idea how to download them. But for some reaso I decided to give it a go.

'Twas for a Wolf Roleplay. Very fun one for a while too

I think the most distinct memory of roleplaying in that map was that my character made a very good friend unexpectedly, and even saved her life once or twice. That particular user was very fun to roleplay with in that pack, since she was on the most often. Not only was she an amazing roleplayer but also a very kind person.

My favorite thing was probably the hills placed all around. Each hill kind of had a different item on the top. Like a tree or a cave or something of the sort. It was very pretty to look at and run around on at the time :3

Offline Luna.

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • Fabulous B00ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 11:13:59 pm »
What was the map that you downloaded? (Feel free to link it here for others to see)
I can't find the download link, but man the map was huge and beautiful.

Yes

-Who made the map?
I forgot the name
-Where did you find the map? Did a friend tell you about it or did you find it while browsing the Feral Heart map board, DeviantArt, or other source? Hm I think from DA.

It was a massive savannah map, with wonderful and had wonderful music aswell the object placement where really well done thoughout the map, deff brought my attention.

Hm usually to escape for the chaos and derp, but generally used to role-play

Having a massive "fight" against three different prides, pretty epic :'D Loads of fun and derp!

The scenery and the music <3

Find me in game as Rava!
Username: luna.
Gift Art Created By: ~Shallow~
DA: Ravalava
Usually flopping about around Flourite Plains and Bonfire.

Offline kululupuppy

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Bye, lovelies.
    • View Profile
    • Lament's Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 05:41:31 am »
-What was the map that you downloaded?
The first map that I ever downloaded was ThaBlue's (I don't know if that's their FH user or not, but it is their DA) WolfQuest inspired Slough Creek map. You can check it out here: http://thabiue.deviantart.com/art/FH-Slough-Creek-WQ-map-Free-DL-360329379

As far as I'm concerned, it is. The download link still exists and I still see the portal, but I'm not sure how active it is. It's been a while since I've last visited it.

-Who made the map?
ThaBlue on DeviantArt.

A friend first told me about it. He had Google searched FeralHeart/WolfQuest inspired maps and had stumbled upon it.

WolfQuest! It was fun to look back at the old days, but see it on a new platform. Both my friend and I had originally come from WolfQuest, so it was quite the experience to see Slough Creek in FH form!

We used it to mostly hang out on privately, since not a lot of players went there. I roleplayed on it once with a group of fantasy canine characters of all things. Hh.

Not a lot of good memories made on that map specifically, but it did bring back old WolfQuest memories that were super fun to remember.

How nostalgic it was to go there and see how close it was to the original Slough Creek. And it was just magical to be there with such amazing fellow friends.

Offline AmarisMingan

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Luck is a shimmer in the darkness.
    • https://steamcommunity.com/profi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 11:03:50 am »
-What was the map that you downloaded?
Halloween Party Map 2013, I reckon. Unfortunately I don't have any screenshots with me, but many might know what I'm talking about.

Nope, it was fun to have it and I hope that one will come back sometime in other Halloween events. But I deleted it because of space taking.

-Who made the map?
The one who created this topic, Sura. Yes, you can be classified as Map Master! ~

In an announcement topic. Happened to catch subjects about it via others to go there and download it.

At least something that changes every year, new other maps and all gatherings make it interesting.

A place for friends to socialize and play, of course. Over a game or internet I won't hide that quickly. I just see it as an opportunity to be crazy and enjoy my time within in a lovely event.

Nope, I actually never did. Maybe I can focus myself more on roleplaying since 7 feb is big day again.

The objects/meshes and it's whole atmosphere with the floofs in it. Just fascinating how ye can go in a map you've never seen before and ye see all of the stuff that triggers ye to keep it while there comes a new one every year. It's mostly because of other people I meet in there.
Av - AzureHowlShliach