Author Topic: Feralheart Racism?  (Read 3022 times)

Offline kaczuszka

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
Feralheart Racism?
« on: March 10, 2015, 07:25:13 pm »
Ok so I have recently noticed that in the Mate Centre there is this problem. I have gathered this over the few years that I have stumbled upon circles full of feralheartians. There seems to be a 'racism' problem (Not technicaly, just in a way) there are mostly 'black fured wolves' in the circle and usualy they get pared with wolves with the same colour. I find some 'brown fured' wolves and even 'grey/silver fured wolves' in there. When they come up into the middle nobody (But rarely) sits around them, but if they do it's normally the same fur colour as them. I never see 'black fured' wolves getting pared with a different colour from them! I know that some people rather have matching looks but it's about 30% out of 100% I really get annoyed with that even if I do not use the mate centre anyway.
hi hello

Offline Spottedbears

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • mister sandman, bring me a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Feralheart Racism?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 07:30:21 pm »
while I can see where you're coming frm this could simply be a matter of people's favorite colors and/or markings. lots of FH members tend to like the black/neon marking pairs, etc.

sorry if there are any errors, im on my phone.

Art by me!
DA: Chrome-domey
Tumblr: Cassiopirate
Need preset, animating, or map help? PM me!

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 07:55:55 pm »
So I wasn't the only one who noticed this?

I'd have to agree, there does seem to be some exclusion, especially in the Mate and Adoption Centers.

It's been quite a trend, with the dark, 'brooding', 'cool and edgy' black/neon wolves getting a bigger chance of getting adopted/chosen than a brown wolf.(I actually did an experiment on this, and it was proven true)

I'm guessing it's mainly because they have a mysterious look to them, versus the natural looks of a brown/grey animal.

Also, anyone else notice that no felines ever get chosen or really ever go there?

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 08:11:01 pm »
Ehh, I wouldn't call it racism, since black/brown/white/etc. wolves aren't a race. Wolves as a whole are a species/race, but the colors alone don't indicate a certain ethnicity or region of origin like it does with humans (in FH, anyway).

Do some people just kind of prefer a certain color palette, though? Well, yeah. Black is a classic color that goes with almost any other, the same way some people like dressing in all black with different colored accents, or prefer a black and white pair of shoes over a brown one.
Certain color palettes tend to be more appealing to the masses than others, put simply.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 08:36:30 pm »
Vespian doesn't picture this as racism but more so as an individual's personal preference. There's no crime with bein' a darkly colored individual or pairin' yer character up with one of similarity. As stated, it could be that individuals who branch off on the grey scale tend to be more of favor 'round here on FeralHeart and other programs too. It gives these characters a sense of the unknown and I know not about ye but makin' a grey/white/black pelted character is far more easier than concoctin' a red/tan/brown character where the hues actually look decent. Before Vespian became my fursona, I had a dark grey character I often meandered around on plus other grey scale chars. Not every user would like to spend 10-15 minutes on coloration alone. It'd be racism if those with dark hides were treated or treated others far from equal, but simply because they are more chosen than others at Centers isn't racism in my eyes. Then there's the fact some users who are of a hue other than grey scale could be wearin' Mass Markings. Markings that not all users may have 'n they end up lookin' like a walkin' marshmallow.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:38:12 pm by Vespian »
gone

Master_callos

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 12:09:01 am »
It's all personal preference. Perhaps if some commented on the colours of other wolves, but even then; it's a stretch to call it racism.

I associate the colour of a wolf to something more along the lines of clothing rather than the colour of the wolf itself, that keeps this whole race stuff out of it. haha

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 04:29:56 am »
It's not really racist, just people's taste and preference. I think the reason why someone chooses a "mate" that is similar in color or style is so people will know they are a couple. Most of the time when I see a pair or a couple, they usually look similar in color and markings. It's probably that "birds of a feather stick together," of the animal kingdom. Since FH is a game about animals, people probably want a mate that appears to be the same species. Even though wolves come in many different species, fur colors, and sizes, it's still personal preference.

So no, I don't think it's racist.
Inactive

Offline StarrieNova

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 52
  • Cuddle Fluff
    • StarrieNova
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 08:03:37 pm »
I agree with the others before me this is not truly racism, but I do see what you mean. That is a bit of a pattern in the Mate Center. I know when I go to Mate Center just to hang out or have fun with the people I just go, and sit where there might be an open spot for me to rest in. Though you are correct. The pattern is a bit strange, but again as the others said I think it's just mostly a color preference. That and people tend to sit as close as they can to the male/female they wish to be their mate.

Siggy by: MittenstheNoble

Echoing harmony

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 09:33:41 pm »
I can agree, I've seen a classic black design too much. I took the charity to make some brown wolfies after reading this post, but hey, if there was a way to fix color scales, I'd just make it dark grey instead of black..

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 03:38:23 am »
wolves don't have "races" like us humans do, so it wouldn't be racism. unless it involves the race of the player behind the screen.

the regular feralheart players are known to be obsessed with 0-0-0 black wolves even though it looks like a black marshmallow due to the texture not even showing up at all on the model. it's unfair, but it's trendy and "edgy" and it has been since the start of the game.