Author Topic: New Character Bio Words/Trends?  (Read 4470 times)

Offline whitewolf223

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • The casual observationist.
    • View Profile
Re: New Character Bio Words/Trends?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 07:57:47 pm »
Whatever the kids are into doing these days, I guess. I remember more simple times, when I didn't need a tab open to Google every single term in someone's character bio. I have noticed the "Molly" thing under gender, and of course being the person I am, this struck me as absolutely hilarious. And as for the whole sexuality thing, whatever floats their boats. I typically don't need a long word to describe what gender my character prefers, but you know. I'm a fairly simplistic person.
Back again, let's see how long I stick around this time.

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 12:09:41 am »
i myself enjoy using some latin words instead of English for bios/creative speech/etc. 'cause it makes certain things more interestin'; but don't clog your sentences with hooplah with all these phrases 'cause your reader will surely lose interest.
now for sexualities, yes, i ratherenjoy indivituality now for real-like character, i mean maybe in a sparkledog or other of the like but don't be junkin' up mother nature'n her 'love'ly processess. although, i can believe an animal can be a neutral; only in the sense of not being attracted to the other gender(whether be fixed or not around 'those' smells).
in the long run of it all, it's all about the creativity of the person, we are all different with our characters thus, we can make 'em however we see them in our little brains.
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 06:08:42 pm »
I've noticed a huge increase in the number of wolfspeak-y categorical biographies. It's definitely not my cup of tea (I prefer a solid paragraph or two of description), but some of the lines are so incomprehensible that I've no idea what they're talking about.  They tell me virtually nothing about the character-- I'm often more confused and lost after reading the biography.

'Orbits fall upon no drake' (I've no idea.)
'Dame to no Hessian' (Still no idea.)
'Hourglass stops at 4' (Is writing "Age: 4" considered ''illiterate''? Why the hourglass? They don't last years? They last minutes/hours? What?)
'Confederated with Whitemanepack' (Why use a thesaurus for 'a member of X-pack'?)

I see this all the time. I can understand segregating categories by gender, species, age, appearance, personality and such, but trying to sprinkle engrish/Wolfspeak on top of things just makes everything a colossal headache for those unused to such terms who want to interact with your character.  If that's your preferred style of writing, rock on, stay awesome and enjoy yourself. I personally don't like it and can't make sense of anything-- which I feel somewhat defeats the purpose of having a biography.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:02:52 pm by Crookfish~ »

Offline Misinterpreted

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 03:19:40 am »
I will admit, I in fact do use some wolf speak in my biographies. However I do not use a lot. I most certainly don't use Hessian or dame or even damsel or titan. I'll use male or female.

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 08:17:59 pm »
If I was reading a book and it started saying pish like "The fae's clock ticked at 17 years, her string entangled with a brute for nine moons" I would burst out laughing and put it down.

'Orbits fall upon no drake' (I've no idea.)
'Dame to no Hessian' (Still no idea.)
'Hourglass stops at 4' (Is writing "Age: 4" considered ''illiterate''? Why the hourglass? They don't last years? They last minutes/hours? What?)

I've noticed these bio "trends" too. I don't know what the think of them, but I guess people started using those to sound more like "literate" roleplayers. When it comes to my bios, I like to keep them simple and too the point. Like Name, Age, Sex, Species, Other Info, Background, Origin, etc.
Inactive

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 11:20:38 pm »
"Molly" really got me...I wonder what the next
the next word for female will be?

We're slowly...slowly developing our own language. And I like the idea of that