Author Topic: Vanished Meshes  (Read 1403 times)

Offline FablesAndMyths

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
Vanished Meshes
« on: April 25, 2015, 03:20:43 am »
Hey there! I've posted a help thread on this before, but sadly the problem is back and the trick used to resolve it last time is not working. The issue is 'vanishing meshes'. While they'll appear just fine in map maker, when I preview the map in-game they are not there. This usually has only occurred with meshes that did not include a .obj file, and I have had to make a custom group for them. Oddly, that's no longer the case :c I downloaded WulftheWolf's Warrior's Den mesh pack (which had it's own .obj file) but some of those didn't show either.
So, re-cap of my rambling: Meshes appear in Map Maker, yet not in-game. Issue with both custom groups and those with a .obj file. Even if you are not sure of an absolute fix, I'd very much appreciate some tips and input!
Thank you, Kanga  
Profile pic by Bawfle <3

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Re: Vanished Meshes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 02:14:10 pm »
I would suggest removing any objects in the Default object groups (MyRocks, Default, MyRocks, etc.) if there are any. If you can't see meshes in their own group, have you made sure that you saved the map?

If you went straight from Map Maker to testing in-game, try exiting Feralheart and trying again. I know sometimes certain textures don't appear if you don't restart the game.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 07:06:02 pm »
Meshes appear in Map Maker, yet not in-game.

I cannot tell for certain 100% if this is the case, but it honestly sounds like a standard mix-up on your side where you have your exported map in cape, if you have several different exports of the map, and whether or not the new export when through correctly, many people make this mistake and in all honesty, if the objects show in the map maker, it should not be many reasons why it shouldn't show in the exported map in the same FH game folder.

You might know this already but I will mention it any way, keep in mind that if you ever exported the map at an earlier stage and it's still inside of the exports folder it will also show in cape along with the map itself in the map maker that has "has portal" marked(you'd pretty much have 2 versions of the same map). Another thing to point out is that if you diddled around with the map a lot but have two different mapnames with the same display name, only display name would show in cape and you'd more than likely enter the wrong map since you cannot know for certain which portal to enter. With other words, make sure you do not have any extra copies of your map in the exports folder.

If the map maker can see the objects, there's not much reason why it wouldn't work when you go into cape and through a portal there, it loads the map from your game the same way as far as I know, the only difference is that it also starts a process on our FeralHeart server and lets you use your character and be online.

The only other reason why objects wouldn't show from cape, while it would from the map maker would be object conflicts of some sort with object groups having objects with the same names but no actual objects bound to them but I do not quite see how that would work. Most of the cases it's really down to wrong map portals walked into in cape, too many copies of the map already or just a general mix-up or clutter.

Of course, as mentioned above, keeping structure in your own object groups and NOT taking use of the standard ones like MyRocks, MyTrees etc, can be handy. No one should really use the default groups for custom meshes.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline FablesAndMyths

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 01:02:31 am »
 Thank you very much for the help. I actually had not exported the map yet, I like to test them out before doing so. Making new groups for the custom meshes is also something I do. Sometimes if I re-name them or move the groups around they'll randomly decide to work. The map was just exported, I'm sending it to a friend to see if they will test it for me. I agree that the issue is on my side, so as long as it works for the person it's being made for, then that is perfectly fine.
I checked everything else that has been mentioned too, so far I can't seem to locate the issue. There is a lot to map making I am still trying to figure out too, so I'm sure there is something I can't seem to recognize x3

Profile pic by Bawfle <3