Poll

Do you like the Gender Tagging? (F M)

Yes. Its useful.
Its okay...
No

Author Topic: Gender Tags  (Read 4978 times)

DreamerDay

Gender Tags
« on: May 09, 2015, 07:49:13 pm »
First off, if no one knows what I'm talking about, you know how some users have the letters M or F to let others *know* what their character gender is? Well, yeah, that is what we're focusing on.

So, let me ask you this. Do you think it's necessary to have those? I thought gender advising was suppose to be in bios, not in the character's name tag. Plus, I thought the name insert was suppose to fill with character's name. I guess I was wrong.

Whenever I see those users(in my POV) with the gender tag, it brings me to conclusion they're considered as the mate beggers...or just people who are just inappropriate.(I can be wrong so dont attack me). you know or know some users, they can take theses to the wrong mind set. Don't get me wrong, I understand mates is one thing your looking for, but I'm not understanding what's the name gender tag is for? I mean, we do have a bio for a reason. Additionally, this causes you you to not  join any group, but be rejected. To be honest, I don't think gender is thing people don't care about,unless your role playing.

Not only that, for example. You see people with 'Roise F Wolf' Now, why add the wolf? Obviously everyone knows that.

Pss...I really want to know who started this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:09:06 pm by DelightfulRevenge »

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Re: Gender Tags
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 07:57:51 pm »
I don't use gender tags in my character names, but I see why people use them, and I used to as well. The gender tags are just a quick, easy way to see a character's gender. Some people don't like to write bios, or may not even know they exist, and there's no written rule that the Character Name slot can only include a character name. The animal name at the end is used for the same reason. A lot of people don't check bios, and I sometimes add the character's species at the end to avoid confusion (mostly for my goat characters), since not every single character is a wolf or a lion.

I don't think you should automatically classify anyone with a tag in their name as a 'matebeggars' or 'inappropriate." The only reason they have tags is just  to have a quick, easy way to know basic information about a character. Having a tag in your name does NOT mean you should judge them.

DreamerDay

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 08:04:49 pm »
I don't use gender tags in my character names, but I see why people use them, and I used to as well. The gender tags are just a quick, easy way to see a character's gender. Some people don't like to write bios, or may not even know they exist, and there's no written rule that the Character Name slot can only include a character name. The animal name at the end is used for the same reason. A lot of people don't check bios, and I sometimes add the character's species at the end to avoid confusion (mostly for my goat characters), since not every single character is a wolf or a lion.

I don't think you should automatically classify anyone with a tag in their name as a 'matebeggars' or 'inappropriate." The only reason they have tags is just  to have a quick, easy way to know basic information about a character. Having a tag in your name does NOT mean you should judge them.

It wasn't suppose a judgemental way. I'm just saying, in my point of view, I see users do this. But I never said I could be right. It was just an assumption. But okay. Blame it on me.

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 10:31:29 pm »
Personally, I've grown to not mind gender tags too much.

Before I stepped foot into Feralheart on my first day of registration, while I was naming my character, I did include a gender tag as a method of character identification without any inappropriate intentions, knowledge of "mate beggars," or information of the game including writable biographies. It was a simple, yet informative way of allowing people to know what gender your character was without having to repeatedly tell others what gender they were.

What was mentioned is another one of Feralheart's common stereotypes, which I personally disagree with. Of course, some users may have questionable, and possibly inappropriate intentions (this can apply for users without gender tags as well!), but most use it as a harmless method of identification for other users. It is almost the equivalent of saying a user who has a group tag in their name enjoys bragging of their title, since they could place that information in their character's biography. As stated previously, not all users like using biographies, or simply doesn't know it exists.

On the other hand, gender tags as well as group tags can be space-consuming; however, I still don't mind them too much, especially if other users find them helpful.

As for "species tags," I understand how people could dislike these (especially since some believe that information should be placed in the biography along with gender), however, like gender tags, they are used as a way if identifying a character's species.
You see people with 'Roise F Wolf' Now, why add the wolf? Obviously everyone knows that.
I'm a bit iffy on this for one main reason. Feralheart, being a game which encourages creativity, will attract users who will make other canine/feline species besides the typical wolf and lion, or other exotic animals such as birds and aquatic animals (to the best of their ability within the limited options available through character creator without presets). Not everyone will have wolf or lion characters, so users may include tags such as (random example) "Rose Hawk." Of course, it may still seem space-consuming to some, but it gets the gender and species across to the user.

So are gender and species tags necessary? Definitely not, but they are a helpful tool for users who need a quick way of character identification. There are pros and cons for each, however in the end, they serve as a straightforward tool that everyone is able to use.

Interesting topic, Dreamer! ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:43:22 pm by AlphaEclipse »

Offline Yognaught

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 03:22:33 pm »
I think it's absolutely fine to use gender tags, unless it is some way of breaking the rules. ]
We've all used gender tags once at least, and I think it's a fun and good way of displaying your character's gender. I even saw a person with an A gender tag to represent Agender. It was gr8! I'm pretty neutral with them.

Find me in-game as: mushyroom

Rizzla

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 10:19:19 pm »
I was wondering if someone was going to make a thread about this lol

I don't see anything wrong with other people using gender tags, however I do not use them myself.
I used to use them. After all, who here hasn't? They were very common about a year ago, but no one seems to use them anymore. I'm not sure why, perhaps they just went out of style? *Shrug*

I no longer use them because they make me feel "unprofessional" (Is that the word I'm looking for? Who knows), and I think if you have a decent character, you should be able to tell what gender they are. If not, that's what bios are for! They also take up space, and if I have a character with a species tag or a long group tag, I wouldn't have the room anyway.

Speaking of species tags, I only usually only use those for my character of more exotic species. Like basically everyone else has said, not every character on FH is a wolf or a lion, so this is to be expected no matter what.

Aye, gender tags and species tags are not necessary, but that doesn't make it wrong for people to have them.

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 10:23:07 pm »
I see a lot of characters with this, I take no mind to it. Personally, it might be alot easier then writing a bio, alot less typing for sure. Showing the species in the name might also be easier. I know if I'm to lazy to write a bio, I'd take the shorter way and make an easier way.

This is just my opinion so o3o

~ Whisper

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 11:18:32 pm »
The gender and species tag takes up space in the name tag and it just makes the character look faulty and bad imo. But if someone uses it I don't really give two kicks.

Offline SpringLeaf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • Mysterious Seeker
    • View Profile
    • Bramble and Blossom
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 12:08:56 am »
I only use these if my name is unisex.
Once my group knows what sex my character is, I usually delete the F or M.
[size=70]I am not always online.
Please message me, I would love to make friends.[/size]

Offline toasterkitty

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 04:25:17 pm »
i dont really mind them i just see it as a quick and easy way to show a characters gender/species plus not everyone knows how to make/veiw bios (i only found out how to see other peoples bios 3 days ago) i use them quite often the gender tags now with species/breed tags i only use them if i can be bothered to or if im something that people wouldnt exactly know right away so yeah... i just see them as easy ways to see simple information on the character
i can be found in game as toasterkitty!

i am crazy though.....

also trash for anything ninjago or rayman