Author Topic: Help...  (Read 1129 times)

Offline DemiseTheCatxXx

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • InGameUser: DemiseTheCatxXx
    • View Profile
Help...
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:44:51 pm »
{I'm sorry if it isn't in the right forum}
ok so, i've been downloading maps for fh etc, and now loads of ads from MacSmart keeps popping up. i don't know if its connected, but i feel really scared that my mac will just mess up or get a virus ;-;
plus none of my friends are on so i have no one to talk to about it..

AlphaEclipse

Re: Help...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:15:53 pm »
Hello, Melodyyy! Although I am not familiar with those specific ads, I do know they are not connected or affiliated with FH in anyway that I know of. It sounds as if your computer has picked something up. Did you accidentally download off of an ad when you were clicking a link from the forum? Which site were the map/Feralheart modifications downloads from? Was one of them Mediafire, or another site?

I'd recommend downloading an antivirus or another form of security protection and scan your computer as soon as possible. If those ads are popping up randomly, even when you're not on an internet browser (or a site redirects without any warning), there's a possibility you may have picked up some sort of adware. You could also do some research on your problem to find specific help for your issue. Best of luck to you!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:20:11 pm by AlphaEclipse »

Offline DemiseTheCatxXx

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 06:23:50 am »
Hello, Melodyyy! Although I am not familiar with those specific ads, I do know they are not connected or affiliated with FH in anyway that I know of. It sounds as if your computer has picked something up. Did you accidentally download off of an ad when you were clicking a link from the forum? Which site were the map/Feralheart modifications downloads from? Was one of them Mediafire, or another site?

I'd recommend downloading an antivirus or another form of security protection and scan your computer as soon as possible. If those ads are popping up randomly, even when you're not on an internet browser (or a site redirects without any warning), there's a possibility you may have picked up some sort of adware. You could also do some research on your problem to find specific help for your issue. Best of luck to you!

I haven't downloaded from an ad, but the first ad i got just popped up out of nowhere when i clicked to go on dA. It wouldn't let me close it off and the only option was to click ok, and it wouldn't let me quit google chrome or shut down my mac. I closed the tab off then. I was downloading maps from deviantart and most of them were Mediafire. I'll also look for trustful antiviruses on google, and thank you for your help, and i've managed to get the ads off now, but I don't know if there's still any traces left of MacSmart. The same has happened to my friend and she said it came up on her dock after a day and she put it in the trash but she said she had to just delete everything and start fresh which I don't want to do and I had only had MacSmart for a hour or two before I managed to get rid of the ads. Thank you for your help, and i'll read up about it ^-^

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 02:45:45 pm »
Moving this to the Game help board

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 03:19:04 pm »
I'm glad to hear you've gotten those pesky ads managed for now. Although there still may be some imprint of them on your machine, it's good to hear they aren't as bothersome as before. As for antiviruses and security software, make sure you download the one you choose off of their official site. Also be sure to check browser extensions for any unfamiliar extensions.

Offline DemiseTheCatxXx

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 04:33:36 pm »
I'm glad to hear you've gotten those pesky ads managed for now. Although there still may be some imprint of them on your machine, it's good to hear they aren't as bothersome as before. As for antiviruses and security software, make sure you download the one you choose off of their official site. Also be sure to check browser extensions for any unfamiliar extensions.
Alright, and my friend has helped me also figure out what to do, and I've searched through my Mac and it's all gone ^-^ Thank you all for helping :D