Author Topic: Opinions on Raccoons  (Read 3955 times)

Echoing harmony

Opinions on Raccoons
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:43:41 pm »
Hey guys, So I was out and about as my cinnamon raccoon looking for roleplay. I found a den of wolves and try starting a roleplay but I gotten completly ingored. It turns out they were just having an OC chat. So I just joined them only to have a dude be all like "Wolves are better than raccoons." he basically made alot of remarks that a wolf is somehow better than a raccoon saying like "Raccoons are scavangers, they have diseases, Wolves are soo much better because they hunt elk"

Then I only went off to tell him Wolves are just as bad as a raccoon with scavanging. Because wolves kill cattle and they sometimes eat off of already killed prey, don't deny it. Then all the sudden he still keeps at me saying: Raccoons are pests and or that my character should die. So leave trying to find another roleplay, only to have people screaming "EWW RACCOON, EWW PEST" So I am kinda sad right now  ???
What do you think about raccoons are they pests that shouldn't exsist or what?

DreamerDay

Re: Opinions on Raccoons
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:49:43 pm »
To be honest, I don't have anything against raccoons but i do have a strong dislike. I remember me,my step dad, and my mom were walking back from the west Indian food shop and we saw a momma and her raccoon babies. It was cute. But my mom did tell they eat anything they can find. They eat garbage and i think she told me they have disease. She even told they can fight. From that day, I'm terrified of them

Then again, I guess they should exist, just like mices and other animals. Anyway, yeah. I don't know. I hardly think about them.

Offline magicfairy

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 55
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:53:36 pm »
Raccoons should indeed exist, there is beauty in every living being and nonliving object in our universe. I find raccoons cute and fluffy little creatures, they are also as intelligent as everything else. These animals are no pests what-so-ever, if they didn't exist we wouldn't. And these aren't just my thoughts on raccoons but every single object and being, without it we wouldn't exist. If they didn't exist something else would have to that would be still called a 'pest', some people don't look at life the way I see it but don't feel bad about it. Humans don't think a long enough moment before saying, "Raccoons are rabid pests!" But ever since I was born I've had this thought on animals, humans will always be this way about some animals before they go ahead and think a for a long time.
vanitas · he/they/it/fae

Offline FizzyPaws

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • I'm too obsessed with Telephone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:31:35 pm »
You know, I love raccoons! Raccoons are very cute creatures, and when ever we spot one in the road, if it's possible, I tell my mom to stop. It's true that they can carry disease, but so can wolves, or any animal! Wolves can also have rabies, or other illnesses, because they eat rodents too! Wolves often time can't find elk, and so they will eat rabbits and mice if they have too. I honestly don't like it when wolves are all stuck up like that, when they are just scruffy canines. Raccoons are faster than wolves, and would be able to hide if they needed too, without much rely on camouflage. They are also more intelligent, and more adaptable. Raccoons are more likely to survive than wolves because they are omnivores with a very large diet. They can eat just about anything. So if they think raccoons are mindless scavengers, they are far from the truth. Raccoons actually have mini thumbs to open garbage cans and containers.

Lol, there goes my rant. I learned a lot of that in a documentary about omnivores at school.

Anyway, no creature should be superior to another in this game. Unless the roleplay was designed that way, and that person wanted a lower rank and what not. It's not fair to judge someone by the animal they play. It could of been really fun with a raccoon among wolves.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 07:34:12 pm »
Despite what most people believe, racoons are not exactly "dirty" and they don't always carry diseases. They do live in urban environments and they tend to scavenge in human garbage, but that's because their primary food such as frogs, fish, crawfish, and berries are nowhere to be found because of the destruction of their wild habitats. Human garbage is easier for them to get, and being omnivorous creatures, it is a great advantage to finding food. Same thing goes with some birds, foxes, coyotes, and bears.

Raccoons are the most reported to have rabies, but that doesn't mean they always have diseases such as that. Bats are actually the one to infect humans with rabies more often. The primary way to tell a raccoon has rabies is if they act abnormally and aggressively usually at daytime because they are nocturnal. Like most other animals, raccoons stay wary of people unless provoked. They are still wild animals though. Never touch a wild animal because you can risk yourself an injury or contracting a disease.

In conclusion, raccoons are actually better than what most people think. I personally find them awesome. They're highly intelligent and curious, just like we are. Raccoons are also very successful in ecosystems because of their intelligence and omnivorous diet. They're just like a monkey, especially with those thumbed paws that can grip and open things. I would say they're more adapted than wolves, because the average successful kill rate of a hunting wolf pack is pretty low. Basically what Fizzed said about raccoons is true. Don't listen to those wolfaboos, raccoons are more exceeding than wolves in a realistic sense.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:38:33 pm by jengatower »

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 07:48:44 pm »
Well, first off, I think it's great that you made a raccoon character! I rarely see raccoon characters around Feralheart, or even many animals apart from felines and canines in general.

As for real life raccoons, I think they're quite cute and I don't have any sort of dislike towards them, really. I think its just the way that raccoons are always portrayed in movies and such to be gross, sneaky, etc. that has led to a lot of people disliking them and not knowing the true facts about them. While it is true that they can carry diseases, any animal is capable of that as well, as ThatFizzedUpHusky pointed out. I don't think they're pests at all, they're just another creature on this earth trying to survive.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:10:07 pm »
I actually like raccoons very much. They happen to be quite intelligent creatures. I don't see why they made such a fuss about it- Wolves have illnesses just like raccoons do. It wasn't very nice of them to say that they wished your character dead. They most likely heard stories about raccoons being "rabid pests" and didn't bother to confirm whether or not what they heard was true. Props to you for making a raccoon character, too. It's not often you see an animal character other than a feline or canine.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Echoing harmony

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:13:15 pm »
I actually like raccoons very much. They happen to be quite intelligent creatures. I don't see why they made such a fuss about it- Wolves have illnesses just like raccoons do. It wasn't very nice of them to say that they wished your character dead. They most likely heard stories about raccoons being "rabid pests" and didn't bother to confirm whether or not what they heard was true. Props to you for making a raccoon character, too. It's not often you see an animal character other than a feline or canine.
Yeah, Only downside to having an animal other than a feline and canine, there's no one who'd wanna join a roleplay group ;3;

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 08:15:51 pm »
Yeah, Only downside to having an animal other than a feline and canine, there's no one who'd wanna join a roleplay group ;3;
God I hate that. A lot of unique roleplays like that often go unnoticed and it sucks. But that doesn't always happen. I've seen a meerkat roleplay advertise and get a lot of members.

Echoing harmony

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:21:26 pm »
God I hate that. A lot of unique roleplays like that often go unnoticed and it sucks. But that doesn't always happen. I've seen a meerkat roleplay advertise and get a lot of members.
Ikr? I've seen cannibal cat roleplay that has been hardly noticed by anyone. That's why I made my group open for any rodent and not just a raccoon only group, but so far no one has joined. ;3;