Author Topic: Hyena Ranks '-.-  (Read 5500 times)

Offline WolfLover2550

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • The Wolf looks ever forward, never back
    • View Profile
Hyena Ranks '-.-
« on: July 13, 2015, 03:11:09 pm »
(please tell me if there is a better place to put this post)

I am making a hyena group, and of course, it seems no one has bothered to give them a ranking system(like a wolf packs alpha beta omega system). I don't have enough of an imagination/am too lazy to create one myself, so I thought maybe you guys could help me(?). If you do have any ideas, please post them below.

Info on Hyena Clans:

"Females are dominant over males, and even the lowest ranking female is dominant to the highest ranking male. Although males typically disperse from their natal clans when they are between two and six years of age (Smale et al 1997; Boydston et al. 2005), females usually remain in their natal clan, so large clans may contain several different matrilines. Although cubs of both sexes 'inherit' their mothers' social ranks, males voluntarily forsake those to assume much lower ranks in the neighboring clans to which they disperse."-http://www.hyaenidae.org/the-hyaenidae/spotted-hyena-crocuta-crocuta/crocuta-social-behavior.html

"A hyena clan is rarely gathered together at any given time; instead, it is divided into smaller packs and single hyenas, temporary groupings that frequently form, disperse and reform.  Clans are led by a single female hyena, the matriarch.  Hyena clans also have secondary leaders who lead smaller pack divisions.  Hyena packs consist of a single leader and several other hyenas who follow her lead.  Packs are formed both deliberately and coincidentally; hyenas will gather together to form packs, although they may often find themselves together by chance.  These packs are temporary; they will eventually disperse, and the hyenas may join other packs, or, in the case of pack leaders, form a new pack.  The hyena clan has a hierarchy, with the matriarch and pack leaders holding the highest rank.  Female hyenas are larger, stronger and fiercer than males, and thus hold higher rank and are more frequently pack leaders."-http://hyena.g2gm.com/HyenaGuide2.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:54:43 pm by sarah »
Le Laser Duck Queen
Known in game as WolfLover2550

DreamerDay

Re: Hyena Ranks '-.-
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 03:22:21 pm »
Group Advertising Board would be better to post your group/rp

As for ranks, A clan can have as many as 50 members, headed by a female called the matriarch.
Male hyenas rank not just below her, but below all the females in the clan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bigcat/animals/hyenas/hyenas.shtml

Offline WolfLover2550

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • The Wolf looks ever forward, never back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 03:53:55 pm »
 I appreciate your wanting to help but I'm looking for the names of the ranks, even just made up ones, like the leader of a wolf pack is alpha. I truly don't want to sound mean but I did do research, but all the sites talk about are how the clans are led by the matriarch, and females always have higher ranks then males.
Le Laser Duck Queen
Known in game as WolfLover2550

DreamerDay

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 04:04:47 pm »
There's probably no ranks in the hyenas pack. Just create one of your own.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:43:31 pm »
I'm not sure the true ranks in a realistic hyena clan, but if you're fine with made up ones I like to have ranks such as:

-Hunter
-Fighter
-Guards
-Medics
-Messengers
-Scouts
-Cubs
-Cub-Sitters

I also like to have heiresses, the hyena in place to become matriarch. Really, you can make up any sort of ranks, even borrow some from wolf packs. It's your group, you can be as creative as you want!

DreamerDay

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 08:44:43 pm »
Really, you can make up any sort of ranks, even borrow some from wolf packs. It's your group, you can be as creative as you want!

Agree