Author Topic: Preset Making  (Read 1181 times)

Offline sparticles

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 51
    • http://spartay.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
Preset Making
« on: July 18, 2015, 10:12:08 pm »

Alrighty, for a while I've been considering preset making however, I'm unable to make the presets look the way I want. With me always being realistic groups, I'm wanting to make realistic presets. Sadly when I so them they don't look realistic. I've watched some tutorials and read some things however, nothing seems to give me too much information on making a realistic preset. Therefore, I was wondering if someone was able to help me? A tutorial would of course be appreciated as well as/or images which may benefit me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and if this post needs moved feel free to do so, I wasn't too sure where to post it.
Discord: Most active here, DM me for it.
DA Account

Signature: ImmatureGirl on DA.

Offline Hooli

• Used Napkin
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
  • uwu
    • hooiigans
    • xmanicz
    • k_tlyn99
    • View Profile
Re: Preset Making
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 10:24:39 pm »

Blending.
It plays an important role in realism when it comes to presets.
Blending helps with making the colors, well, blend.
You should also make sure you have a good, realistic fur texture to start with as well as a realistic color palette.

It's not much help, but its something. I hope this information can help just a little bit. ;u;

in-game: hooli

Offline sparticles

• Ancient Silver Mane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 10:33:06 pm »

Thank you, Hooli. I'll be sure to try blending my colours and such when I try making my next preset.

Thank you
+floof
DA Account

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 10:39:16 pm »
You could also try using more realistic or detailed fur textures. That might help. The way you make the eyes also effects how realistic it looks. If you want a more serious realistic looking character sometimes smaller pupils help too.

Offline sparticles

• Ancient Silver Mane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 11:01:25 pm »

Thank you, LordSuragaha. Are there any textures you'd suggest? I have one or two, although I don't think they make presets look too realistic, although they are good.
+floof

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:45:52 pm by Taylor »
DA Account

Offline FizzyPaws

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • I'm too obsessed with Telephone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 01:32:10 pm »
Oh! I have just the little nifty GIMP file for this! Unfortunately, I do not have the link to the original download, and some of the layers are a little mixed around because I had to recover it from a version on another computer I already saved over, but it's still really helpful! It's how I make my presets! If you do have a Gmail, I can share the file with you over drive!

EDIT: I decided I should cover more about what's actually in it XD
So it's got the UV Guidelines, a humongous verity of textures, including premade eyes, tongues, noses, and mane and wing textures. It makes preset making so much easier. You dont' even have to make a new canvas for other parts, because you can hide the color layers provided, and start coloring on a new one, changing the UV map and textures to match different body parts! It's really cool. I'll probably go through the layers today and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be. So I'll have it later today!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 01:37:11 pm by ThatFizzedUpHusky »

Offline sparticles

• Ancient Silver Mane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 05:49:11 pm »

Ah, that sounds great and very useful! I've had trouble looking for eye masks, textures and such as it seems many you need to buy and sadly I'm yet to have DA points. Although some of the free fur textures are great, I can never find any eye masks. Of course, if you wouldn't mind, I'd love for you to send that over. It sounds very helpful! I can pm you my Gmail address or post it here?
+floof
DA Account