Author Topic: Can you convert presets into markings?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline ~The Equinox~

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Can you convert presets into markings?
« on: December 14, 2015, 03:02:32 am »
Instead of dowloading 50 thousand presets, I want to convert them into a markings pack like aug 22. Is there any way to convert a preset into markings?

Offline papayatoot

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 23
    • papayatoot
    • papayatoot
    • View Profile
Re: Can you convert presets into markings?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 03:19:44 am »
Well, you could, but it wouldn't work the way you're wanting it to. You'd have to separate the preset into three files for head, body, and tail (or maybe not) and then rename  the file(s). Then you'd need to edit the markings.cfg file so it would accept every newly converted preset file as a marking, and then you'd need the person wearing the preset to download the same markings and markings.cfg as you were using. :/

Offline .Lynx.

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 03:27:02 am »
No, impossible because markings can only give 1 extra color to your character, while with presets you can use any color unrestricted. Even if there was a way to convert it then the different colors you used in the preset would need to remain the same. Its hard to explain. Besides, you're not missing much. Most people don't even use presets and the ones that do can just customize their character under the preset and put the preset on top so people can see their regular character and get a general idea what it looks like. Your best bet is to join in on the Holiday events where they collect everyones presets and put them together in with the map download. The only types of groups I've seen to use presets are the mapped warrior cats ones.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:30:33 am by Lynx »

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 04:30:58 am »
First of all, I'd say this belongs in the game help section rather than game discussion.

However. You CAN make your own markings, but it'd be just like making a preset, people would have to download to see them.
It may as well be easier to make a preset and have people download that instead.
RETIRED.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 09:42:23 pm »
Moving this over to the Game Help board so that others will know you wish to ask a question.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline ~The Equinox~

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 10:17:42 pm »
Well, you could, but it wouldn't work the way you're wanting it to. You'd have to separate the preset into three files for head, body, and tail (or maybe not) and then rename  the file(s). Then you'd need to edit the markings.cfg file so it would accept every newly converted preset file as a marking, and then you'd need the person wearing the preset to download the same markings and markings.cfg as you were using. :/

I tried that, but the problem is marking files are transparent so it has been very difficult to get the markings to be anything other than a sort of tint. I was hoping to get realistic furs as a marking, because with presets in order to wear them you have to export them yourself, and there is a lot more downloading to do if you want the whole group to be able to see and use the markings.

Offline ritat

• Incarnated Angel
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 156
  • Will be inactive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 11:59:19 am »
Unfortunately, it's not possible to turn the realistic fur texture into a marking. In order to do that, you have to do your own marking because markings require transparency and transparency is what gives markings life. You cannot have grey or any shade of that in some sort. You only have the alpha channel and black background.

Reply to:

I tried that, but the problem is marking files are transparent so it has been very difficult to get the markings to be anything other than a sort of tint. I was hoping to get realistic furs as a marking, because with presets in order to wear them you have to export them yourself, and there is a lot more downloading to do if you want the whole group to be able to see and use the markings.

So the only choice you have is to download all of them. Believe me, in the end, your hard work will be worth it. Don't over complicate this like you're doing, so just do it the way we always do, by downloading. <3