Author Topic: Help please Map Objects keep showing up white  (Read 975 times)

Offline TLKlover405

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Help please Map Objects keep showing up white
« on: February 11, 2016, 05:42:09 pm »
Ok, so, here's the problem. Several different objects that I have downloaded are ending up white. There was no ReadMe file, and I put everything into the my_objects folder. It keeps putting "BaseWhite" as the material file and even though the .material files are in my_objects, it keeps saying that it can't find the files. What do I do? I even tried redownloading the files and replacing the files. Nothing has worked.
"I think I'll try defying gravity." - Defying Gravity by Idina Menzel

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • http://shay-wolf.deviantart.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/Mid
    • View Profile
Re: Help please Map Objects keep showing up white
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 05:49:58 pm »
Perhaps try placing the downloaded objects into just your objects folder instead of your my_Objects folder?

What's happening is the objects are recognizing that there is indeed a texture there, but it's not registering the original textures the objects came with, and like the game is telling you, those texture files cannot be located due to them not being in the right place. BaseWhite is the game's default texture for most things.

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 06:44:45 pm »
I must disagree. Unless the download came with the exported objects group (or .fho file) all the files should go into My_Objects.

'Ave ye tried opening the material file and searching f'er what the texture's file name is? If not, do that, and then type the texture file name into the bar where "BaseWhite" is showing up. This is a common thing and it happens to me all the time. Ye just got to find the corresponding texture file that the material file has set up f'er the object.

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline TLKlover405

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 07:20:13 pm »
I must disagree. Unless the download came with the exported objects group (or .fho file) all the files should go into My_Objects.

'Ave ye tried opening the material file and searching f'er what the texture's file name is? If not, do that, and then type the texture file name into the bar where "BaseWhite" is showing up. This is a common thing and it happens to me all the time. Ye just got to find the corresponding texture file that the material file has set up f'er the object.

Thanks! It opened in Notepad, and I'm not seeing anything that says "BaseWhite". Do I need to find a different way to open it? I've never tried opening a material file before, so I'm not really sure what to do to open it properly.
"I think I'll try defying gravity." - Defying Gravity by Idina Menzel

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 10:38:17 pm »
Not seeing "BaseWhite" is a good thing. This means that the download, indeed, came with textures. Would ye mind putting up what ye see in the file so I can tell ye what ye need to type into the texture bar?

If not, no worries. Just look f'er file names that end with .jpg or .png and type that into the box. Make sure y'er on the right texture f'er the right object, though! It won't look right otherwise.

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 03:58:55 pm »
Here's a quick list of things to double check:
-In the .material files, do the texture names look like this: CaseSensitive.png or CaseSensitive.jpg not .jpeg?
-Are the .material files formatted correctly and do they have any typos?
-Are the textures the right size?

QuickTip: It's a good idea to export objects in Object Maker before exporting your map! (Otherwise they might be white for others.)
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.