Author Topic: What makes a grand leader?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Kalaban

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • #TooLazy
    • View Profile
What makes a grand leader?
« on: June 07, 2016, 12:33:22 am »
Dozens of times when I am wandering around FeralHeart after working on my group, I see a group with a LOT of members on the first day. I always think so myself, when they are normally just generic wolf-packs, "howdohedodat?" And then again, seeing as I'm working on my own group, I hope I can catch the same level and maintain them where the vanilla can't (however I've always been ruined by inactivity on the first day or few weeks) I've already begun talking with my boyfriend on little things that could be done so recruiting/role-play is much more fun. But, of course, that needs a lot of time and attention and why I need staff.

Such things like the one healer group with felines and canines, or death at dawn a generic wolf-pack with a dark style that worked well for itself. It was amazing to watch silently (lol I'm a bit of a stalker type honestly.) as they continued to role-play and interact together time and time again. They held up for a good few weeks (or months.)

So, for my own curiosity, what makes a good leader? What makes the members of Feralheart just draw to them like moths to a flame. Is it the looks, the size of the group, the charismatic influence of the leader?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:35:15 am by Kalaban »
In-game Username: Kalaban

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a grand leader?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 12:42:17 am »
I honestly think that it's a combination of all three factors.

A large group shows dedication and loyalty, the looks can convey a theme or generalize what kind of characters are being looked for, and a charismatic leader never hurts.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

ArcticGalaxy

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 12:50:28 am »
Scuttle pretty much hit the nail on the head there. But yes, a grand leader just needs to be dedicated to their group and willing to do anything to keep them stuck together. I suck at making these sorts of speeches. xD

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 01:00:08 am »
Both Leaders & Members should he able to work together.
There needs to be a compromise, is the leader willing to work around the members and vice versa.
Patience is also a thing because things like this doesn't just happen overtime. A leader needs to be observant, taking in little notes or details about their members and what the general prefers or dislikes and making appropriate changes with the matter. A leader doesn't necessarily mean that they rule and control everything by themselves, without 'members' a leader wouldn't really need a leader.

So basically a leader should be loyal, dedicated & a team player / good role model for others to look up to so that way they can be respected and both leader and members can work together into achieving a main goal, which happens to be, a good group. ^^

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline Reaper

• Exotic Butters
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 72
  • OOF
    • http://firesboss.deviantart.com/
    • ravenmccain1
    • witheredfoxy12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 01:05:32 am »
I think a grand leader should be loyal to his or her members, and always helping them when needed.They also need to be nice and is open to opinions.

Offline DarkLustyHumor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 02:09:19 am »
I believe that a grand leader should be patient, understanding, dedicated to the group, kind, yet be able to stick up for the other members of the group, without causing issues. I feel like a leader should be able to intervene and help pack or pride members come to a compromise if something is wrong. They should be open to ideas from the members and not let their position of authority turn them into a jerk.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 04:06:42 am »
I believe the ideal leader is someone who is dedicated to their group and the members, and aren't entirely focused on roleplay. What's more important in a group is to be connected with your members, to help them grow both as people and just with their roleplaying skills. They need to be patient with their group and realize they're human. They must understand that no, not everyone can cooperate together, and there will always be those people you just can't get along with even if you try. But even if you hate their guts, it's important to treat them as equals and try to make sure there's no conflict between members.

That may the ideal leader in my personal opinion, but the one that draws people in... they're a little different. I agree with Scuttle. A group has to look pleasing from the outside, and have a plotline everyone is interested in. Having large groups that have been running for years is the best way to get members, and its often difficult for newer groups to get members. For one, with a group that's been running for maybe 2 or 3 years, people can trust that it is an organized and stable group and can rely on it. With lots of members, you know you can get on at any time and have someone to roleplay or just chat with. With newer groups, you never know what you're going to get. Of course, the charisma of the leader is good too. A professional but friendly leader is more likely to draw people in than a nervous, aggressive leader.

Oh man I should stop writing essays lol. But this is just what I have seen and know when it comes to groups and group leaders.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 01:37:13 pm »
Hmm, as a lot of people have stated above, a leader should have dedication. They should have a general love and care for both their role-play and their members. If they lack the passion behind their role-play or those in which they are role-playing with, they will not be able to successfully run the role play. They should also be understanding and flexible, as no member wants to feel too entirely restricted in RP. RP is a very open ended form of art, and to restrict it and try and mold it in your way is more of writing the story yourself rather than allowing the RP and its members to make their mark. They should also have fun with their group and their members, and be open to all of the possibilities that may improve or help their RP.
Also, they need to be able to be a good listener, as it is very important for a leader to listen to their group member's thoughts, feelings, and opinions.
Also, no one likes a rude or demanding leader. So just be kind and respectful (Which lots of people in this community are) and things should run smoothly.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline RenegadeRaptor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • The Wiccan Wolf
    • http://reccewolf.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 04:06:31 pm »
What makes a Grand Leader?
Well in my books a grand leader has to be strong willed, generous, and always put their pack mates first.
I know this varies on a persons taste and all, but a great leader should be caring about their pack members. I do know I got no room to speak since Renegade is both kind and unruly. Yet The strong willed part needs to be involved because the leader has to be down to earth, and very strong in certain situations.

~Recce~

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 06:00:39 pm »
As well as how leader characteristics are applied to Feral Heart, I also think you can look to leaders outside of the game for similarities. Loyalty is a big one-- loyalty shows a bond between leader and groupmates, and I think repsect goes along with this, as well. I find that leaders who respect their pack/clanmates and leaders who understand that respect is earned rather than something they are entitled to is a very attractive quality, as far as leadership goes. Mutual respect and consideration for each individual goes a long way.

Humility is another quality that I find to be essential to a leader, in my eyes. While there may be some who disagree with this, as humility is often seen as weakness, I think it shows a trust and personal strength of the leader. Being humble is not always an easy thing to do, but it can be the difference between night and day, and possibly the difference between enjoying your time in a group and feeling as though you want to leave.

I think it's important for a leader to listen well-- actually listen, try to understand their groupmates' opinions and ideas before turning them away without a second thought, and have an open heart to the thoughts and feeling of their groupmates. It's one thing to listen to what someone says and forget it later, but if a leader is able to actually listen and seek to understand his groupmates, trust and respect can be drawn from this. I think this quality was already mentioned above, but this one is a biggie. I think communication falls into this category, as well. Keeping your group pals informed about whether you'll be absent a few days will speak volumes, whereas leaving your groupmates in the dark can cause unreliability and may make them feel as though you don't concern yourself with the wellbeing and interests of the pack.

Moral conscience-- While I think that it's important for a leader to listen to his group, having a firm grip on his own conscience and beliefs is also important. A leader who respects himself is more likely to be respected by others than one who does not have faith in his actions.

As a little side note, it's perfectly alright to remind yourself that you're there to have fun. Amidst all of the seriousness and pressure to try and "be" a good leader, at the end of the day, everyone is there to have fun and play around with creativity. It's never an "un-leaderly" thing to let go and just enjoy yourself.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:23:57 pm by warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.