Author Topic: Thoughts on Activity?  (Read 5734 times)

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Activity?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 08:09:39 pm »
Yeah I understand. I was in a group and saw them kick out a member after the lost connection 4 hours ago. It was rude as hell.

If that was on the same day, then I don't think that alone is fair. It's not giving the user a chance to explain what happened to them and their abrupt leaving. . . But then again, some people just have their own 'style' of doing things ~

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline barghosts

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
  • free pizza for life
    • chewgags
    • chewgags
    • coffeemo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 08:12:29 pm »
If that was on the same day, then I don't think that alone is fair. It's not giving the user a chance to explain what happened to them and their abrupt leaving. . . But then again, some people just have their own 'style' of doing things ~
Mhm, there's no point in arguing with their choices.

KERMIT IT'S NOT A COOKIE

Offline DarkLustyHumor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 09:00:49 pm »
Personally I think the whole active/inactive thing is kind of stupid. I mean unless it's been a few months I don't think people should be kicked out. I do understand their reason for doing so, but at the same time people do have lives outside of Feral Heart. People tend to forget that when they get so engrossed in this game. From what I know, there isn't a limit to how many people can be in a group, so the idea of getting rid of people for not being extremely active when they have lives seems to be more of a power thing. Something people do to try and get the others to come on more often. It's unfair in my opinion.

Offline Siarczek

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • Friendly Neighborhood Environmental Scientist
    • siarczek
    • siarczek-art
    • siarczki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 09:05:54 pm »
RP groups with strict activity checks are incredibly annoying imo. People have lives outside of FH. Even being on two/three days a week, which seems to be the most common activity rule in most RPs I see, is completely unrealistic for people like myself who are in college and have very little free time. I rarely ever join RPs because of this.

I don't think strict activity checks are necessary to keep a group active. Unchained, which was once one of the most successful and long-lasting RPs on FH, didn't have extremely strict rules regarding activity. The key to making an RP stay active is by actually having a sense of community. Don't make RPing feel like a chore- make it something to actually look forward to because you want to be involved in your community and interact with friends. That's how you get active, dedicated members and you won't have to worry about your group falling entirely apart when a few people may become inactive for a certain period of time due to whatever goes on in real life- there will always be others active.

OCs | Art | [url=https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62880.n

Offline barghosts

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
  • free pizza for life
    • chewgags
    • chewgags
    • coffeemo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 09:11:44 pm »
Personally I think the whole active/inactive thing is kind of stupid. I mean unless it's been a few months I don't think people should be kicked out. I do understand their reason for doing so, but at the same time people do have lives outside of Feral Heart. People tend to forget that when they get so engrossed in this game. From what I know, there isn't a limit to how many people can be in a group, so the idea of getting rid of people for not being extremely active when they have lives seems to be more of a power thing. Something people do to try and get the others to come on more often. It's unfair in my opinion.
To add onto this, it'll actually take people away from joining because of the necessity to be continuously active.

RP groups with strict activity checks are incredibly annoying imo. People have lives outside of FH. Even being on two/three days a week, which seems to be the most common activity rule in most RPs I see, is completely unrealistic for people like myself who are in college and have very little free time. I rarely ever join RPs because of this.

I don't think strict activity checks are necessary to keep a group active. Unchained, which was once one of the most successful and long-lasting RPs on FH, didn't have extremely strict rules regarding activity. The key to making an RP stay active is by actually having a sense of community. Don't make RPing feel like a chore- make it something to actually look forward to because you want to be involved in your community and interact with friends. That's how you get active, dedicated members and you won't have to worry about your group falling entirely apart when a few people may become inactive for a certain period of time due to whatever goes on in real life- there will always be others active.
-Claps.- Couldn't have spoken it any better, my dear friend.

KERMIT IT'S NOT A COOKIE

Offline CrazyCatLady

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Formerly M'Lass
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 09:18:10 pm »
Demonzay good point really. Groups try to force activity which just makes it seem like a chore to do. Members are by no means obligated to join in whenever you snap your fingers or demand an activity boost. I stay away from rps in general because of this, I never know when I'll be in-game for longer than an hour max and roleplays just don't move at a very good speed hardly, with basic things taking half hour to just move everyone twenty feet. Which seems like a waste of my time if there has not been any plot progression in that half hour to begin with. So the actual act of roleplaying is a chore when it is like that, no matter how much you are into it.

If you demand your members to be active then allow for the roleplay to be something they want to be active in, is how I'll boil this down.

Sig by Kiaz! ||  I'm not active anymore. I'll be back sometime.

ArcticGalaxy

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 09:21:47 pm »
It all really depends for me. I do like active roleplays don't get me wrong. But sometimes rps go inactive because of real life and all of that. And sometimes I'm fine with that. Rps that go out after not even a week just because the leader gets bored kinda irks me though, unless something actually happened IRL that was bad. Just my opinion.

Offline DarkLustyHumor

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 09:23:43 pm »

I agree, it really does make it feel like a chore and actually deters me from being active because it feels more like a job than a game. If I end up in a group that says that I have to be very active, then I tend to actually lose interest in it more because I feel like it's another responsibility I have to deal with when I have enough outside of FH.

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 09:36:01 pm »
Again, If you're going to make a group in general and you want everyone to be active and such, Just be dedicated and willing. Plan it out thoroughly and make adjusts if needed. As everyone basically mentioned, don't make it just another chore and just have fun with it.
Sometimes these groups that demands such a thing, forgets that this is a game, a game that is a part of people's lives and such and it's just a second escape for most. They don't need to be weighed down with even more responsibilities and all that, we get enough of that from Real Life itself.
I can understand if it was about.... one time you hear from them and they don't show up ever again ( unless something unexpected happen , because it will happen ) and then ja, you can do like a group clean / wipe, what have you, but don't just do it just cause.
Again, everyone has their ways of doing things, you don't necessarily HAVE to join the group if it's not your cup of tea. Sometimes groups are willing and open to suggestions on how they can improve, even increase activity and you're free to voice your opinions as long as you don't take it overboard if not, just kindly tell them and leave. Who cares what they may do, it's YOUR choice in the matter. Being active all the time ( and even I'm starting to see this now, hoping to adjust ) for multiple times a week for a certain amount of time, is stressful and I try to avoid such a thing if they're not willing to work with me or even others in the group.

All & All, not everyone can simply be pleased, whether it be in-game or not. In real life, if you're working, you gotta try and adjust if it's dire and if you truly need it, but in-game, you really don't need to be a part of the group because you're still giving up part of your time to work with theirs and it's not you're getting paid to do so or anything.
But ja, might not be making sense but still, if you don't want to be a part of a group for this or you see it as not fair, just leave. Simple as that.

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline DarkLustyHumor

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 10:07:13 pm »
Again, If you're going to make a group in general and you want everyone to be active and such, Just be dedicated and willing. Plan it out thoroughly and make adjusts if needed. As everyone basically mentioned, don't make it just another chore and just have fun with it.
Sometimes these groups that demands such a thing, forgets that this is a game, a game that is a part of people's lives and such and it's just a second escape for most. They don't need to be weighed down with even more responsibilities and all that, we get enough of that from Real Life itself.
I can understand if it was about.... one time you hear from them and they don't show up ever again ( unless something unexpected happen , because it will happen ) and then ja, you can do like a group clean / wipe, what have you, but don't just do it just cause.
Again, everyone has their ways of doing things, you don't necessarily HAVE to join the group if it's not your cup of tea. Sometimes groups are willing and open to suggestions on how they can improve, even increase activity and you're free to voice your opinions as long as you don't take it overboard if not, just kindly tell them and leave. Who cares what they may do, it's YOUR choice in the matter. Being active all the time ( and even I'm starting to see this now, hoping to adjust ) for multiple times a week for a certain amount of time, is stressful and I try to avoid such a thing if they're not willing to work with me or even others in the group.

All & All, not everyone can simply be pleased, whether it be in-game or not. In real life, if you're working, you gotta try and adjust if it's dire and if you truly need it, but in-game, you really don't need to be a part of the group because you're still giving up part of your time to work with theirs and it's not you're getting paid to do so or anything.
But ja, might not be making sense but still, if you don't want to be a part of a group for this or you see it as not fair, just leave. Simple as that.

No you're making perfect sense, it's a shame that people often forget that Feral Heart is a game and it's meant to be fun and not a type of power struggle. Yes I understand people have different ways of doing things, I just wish it wasn't such a stressful thing at times. Don't get me wrong, I love Feral Heart and it can be really fun to be in groups, heck I can even have fun in a group I get stressed out in at times. But I try to work through it all, and I hope I can remind people that FH is a game. Of course I know that's not exactly something everyone will listen to and I don't want to go and change people, just wish people could see it as what it is, a place for fun. Work may be involved, yes that's true, but it's not fun when it becomes the whole entirety of the thing.