Author Topic: Some Fur Texture Help For Presets.  (Read 1031 times)

Offline CannibalWolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Red Moon Forever~
    • View Profile
Some Fur Texture Help For Presets.
« on: July 04, 2016, 05:58:57 pm »
I surely apologize if this isn't the correct place to ask this question.. But, anyway.

I need some help with fur textures on presets. I DO know how to put fur textures on presets, but my main situation regards how do you make them "stand out" on your presets. I see many great presets on here, and some have such good fur textures that stand very well on the preset it self.

I use GIMP, and i'm not sure what option to use to make the fur texture stand out really well on the preset. ( Like some presets fur texture is darker then it normally is, but it isn't horrid looking, lol. )

I hope I made sense; and hopefully someone can help me out a little. Thank!!

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
Re: Some Fur Texture Help For Presets.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 06:51:34 pm »
Well, there are many realistic mods. I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but there is a tutorial (hope you will find it helpful):
Lord Suragaha's How to Apply the Default Fur Textures on Presets

Good luck!

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline DarkLustyHumor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:26:49 pm »
I suggest working with changing the opacity of the layer with the fur texture and testing out which way looks better. You can test out with it being subtle compared to the actual color of the wolf, or try for a bolder look by making the character itself lighter but keeping the fur texture as dark as possible. When it comes to things like this, I suggest doing trial and error. That's what I do. x3

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 07:51:05 pm »
A trick I use to give the default texture a more realistic feel is to create 3 layers of the texture. I set each one to multiply then merge all three of them. I then go over with my blur and smudge brushes to soften out some harder edges. Then using the burn and dodge tools, I go over some areas and add highlights and shadows. I find that it normally gives a more realistic edge to it. Hope this helped! c: Also, I use photoshop, so I hope you have the same/similar tools in Gimp!
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.