Author Topic: Copying  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Drunk

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • The Leader
    • View Profile
Copying
« on: July 06, 2016, 06:27:52 am »
I have heard it time and time again, "you should be flattered that you are being copied," and oddly enough I have only heard that said by those who copy things. Most people who have had their hard work copied before I doubt would ever feel that the saying would apply to their experiences. I have had my group system copied once before, and it was done as an insult towards myself. It was a blatant rip-off, and with the new update after I had long disbanded my group I was surprised to see such a familiar system taking place before me in this group.

At first all seemed fine, I suppose they could use my ranks but so long as they apply where credit is due, only because the system was entirely unique and made by me, not to mention some of the words I used for ranks were just words I made up. To which one of their members figured was Latin...ahem. It wasn't until one of their members started being rude to me that I said "alright no I do not want someone of the likes of you using my system and my ranks so I'd prefer that you change it all and come up with your own unique idea from scratch." Well their leader who unknowingly had copied me didn't like this and saying I didn't have any copyright to any of it etc...It's very frustrating for everyone who has been in this situation before who have been copied from. The one who copied it all and said the leader could use it had left FH, but it is disrespectful to me that they continue to use my idea.

Their site: http://deditionem.yolasite.com/
My site: http://thecradle.wikifoundry.com/

If anyone else has had similar experiences feel free to share them here and we can all mope around and be frustrated together.

Offline Chknsoup

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Beyonce's chosen one
    • smol
    • View Profile
Re: Copying
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 06:38:00 am »
I don't really understand why someone would be flattered to be copied I mean, you wanna
be unique and when someone copies you, its like wht? People who copy others really do frustrate me because you try and force them
to delete the character/map/preset/site and other related things but they never do. There always ruining someones day.
The people in your group would so frustrate me tbh! It's really disrespectful when it's your work they stole!

I don't really have a copier story to share, but I really wanted to put my opinion out on this issue because most of the Feral Heart
community deals with this and its seriously one of the most annoying things there is!

feels good to rant about copiers bc i seriously hate them-
slaying since the 90's

ArcticGalaxy

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 06:38:27 am »
I think I was in The Grounds when you were talking about this. But yes, being copied is just wrong and shouldn't be tolerated. It's ok to be inspired by another group, but not to just outright copy it because you are too lazy to create something yourself. But that's just my input on this.

Offline Reaper

• Exotic Butters
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 72
  • OOF
    • http://firesboss.deviantart.com/
    • ravenmccain1
    • witheredfoxy12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 06:42:29 am »
Aww im sorry that is happening to you. I think it really sad that people have to copy others. They should just make up there own ranks instead of trying to copy yours, and they should come up with there own ranks and be more creative.

Offline Drunk

• Experienced Traveler
  • The Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 07:32:41 am »
Thank you for the input everyone and yeah I'm glad it does feel good for you guys to talk about it. I wonder if we'll get anyone from the other side of the argument to chime in here, perhaps if anyone has ever copied before people who think it's okay, or people who have done it and know that it's wrong.

Offline kinoei

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • nyeeeessss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 09:04:32 pm »
Copying isn't okay.

Copying is just... Sad. It really shows how much of a creative person they are.

I've never been copied, since I'm not the leader type, but it has always bothered me.
I understand inspired, but copying, no. It also bothers me when they don't admit it, but just argue that "oh i magically came up with the same ideas!" and whatnot.
Their leader should just admit and apologize, even if that will be exposed to their whole group.

I'm pretty sure you worked hard on making the ranks and system, why don't others just appreciate and respect it?

Offline SpicyKatsudon

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • [dEATH METAL SCREAMING]
    • cannibalistic-skittles
    • StupidLegos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 09:09:12 pm »
I feel like copying should be a new official rule from how much of an annoyance it is to everyone, since it's as serious as it is. I've started putting '(c)'s in my OCs and fursonas' bios after having seen someone copy my Aph Philippines some time ago
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:14:56 pm by Simanxa »

Offline Drunk

• Experienced Traveler
  • The Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 04:09:11 am »
I agree but I never but any sort of copyright disclaimer on anything just because I was under the assumption that it is common knowledge if you want to use someone else's work you ask. I understand most packs follow a very general "fighter/guard, medic, hunter" kind of ranks and that's not something I would call copying because so many groups use that common system. Mine was unique to myself and I never said it was okay to use. It irks me because this group never even met the Cradle so it wouldn't make any sense to have such a similar, and by similar, I mean the exact same system.

Being inspired by others is a beautiful thing, it means re-translating a unique idea into your own words or your own ideas. Out-right copying is not okay. So far I haven't seen any change in them and the leader did not at all say anything to his members I've had to tell them myself.

Preach

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 05:00:41 am »
Being copied is actually terrifying but also extremely annoying. One thing I hate about some certain people is when they will the need to copy. I always feel scared putting art on my devainart because I feel like someone will take my OCs.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 06:30:43 am »
Doesn't really bother me, not that it happens to me much, at all, but then people buttswinging me didn't bother me either.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"