Author Topic: Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong  (Read 2550 times)

Offline amythealpha

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • I might return soon? I dunno
    • HummingKitten
    • View Profile
Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong
« on: July 07, 2016, 06:53:44 pm »
Hello everyone! Could someone help me? I'm making my first ever FH preset: Temmie from Undertale! Thus far, everything has worked out just fine.

Except the mane.

It's extremely blocky and weird looking. So, I tried basically everything on the face of the earth I could think of, including messing with the coding a bit

Here it is:
material preset_3_maneMat
{
        technique
        {
                pass
                {
                       cull_hardware none
                       cull_software none
                       alpha_rejection greater_equal 128
                       texture_unit
                       {
                                texture preset_3mane.png
                }
          }
     }
}

It's supposed to be a feline mane, if that makes a difference. Not sure. Anyways, I've tried everything. Using just the normal mane, using just the mask, using both (The normal mane a .jpg, the mask using .png. I would try switching it, but the normal mane doesn't work with .png for me)

It just seems so stubborn! I've tried looking it up, but it's just not making sense to me. If anyone has the foggiest clue what might be wrong, please let me know. This is my first preset, and it's actually not as bad as I thought it'd be so far (trust me, it sucks, but it's not as sucky as I expected which I'm quite proud of myself for), and I really want to finish it. Help, please?

Edit: When I tried using just the mask, it looked really ugly and weird.
Edit2: I'm using Paint Tool SAI, by the way.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:56:03 pm by amythealpha »
Oh jeez, uh, I haven't been online in forever. I joined in 2012 lmao, back in the old maps, forgive me for not knowing my way around.
My in-game username is FirecrackerTNT (previously known as amythealpha), but can also be found on lpslover. I used to also be found on the account Amythenightwatch, but I think the account was deleted??? oops lmao

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
Re: Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:40:53 pm »
Code: [Select]
material preset_#_maneMat
{
technique
{
pass
{
lighting off
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
scene_blend alpha_blend
depth_write off
texture_unit
{
texture preset_#mane.png
}
}
}
}

Try using this fluff. Just simply replace the # with the number of your preset (e.g texture preset_8mane.png). You might also want to change the .png to .jpg as that is what you've decided to use. ^_^

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 07:41:37 pm »
You should ideally use the mask, as it's important to have the transparent part there in order to get rid of the blocks in it. I would suggest pasting the black mask on top of what you already have, then select the inverse of the black, lock the transparent particles, and then erase the mane that appears in the transparent part. Hope that made sense? xD I can try and explain it better if ya don't understand.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline amythealpha

• Finest Floof
    • HummingKitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 08:52:47 pm »
Code: [Select]
material preset_#_maneMat
{
technique
{
pass
{
lighting off
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
scene_blend alpha_blend
depth_write off
texture_unit
{
texture preset_#mane.png
}
}
}
}

Try using this fluff. Just simply replace the # with the number of your preset (e.g texture preset_8mane.png). You might also want to change the .png to .jpg as that is what you've decided to use. ^_^

Thanks for the help! However, it didn't seem to fix the blockiness. Thanks anyways, though!
Oh jeez, uh, I haven't been online in forever. I joined in 2012 lmao, back in the old maps, forgive me for not knowing my way around.
My in-game username is FirecrackerTNT (previously known as amythealpha), but can also be found on lpslover. I used to also be found on the account Amythenightwatch, but I think the account was deleted??? oops lmao

Offline amythealpha

• Finest Floof
    • HummingKitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 08:53:43 pm »
You should ideally use the mask, as it's important to have the transparent part there in order to get rid of the blocks in it. I would suggest pasting the black mask on top of what you already have, then select the inverse of the black, lock the transparent particles, and then erase the mane that appears in the transparent part. Hope that made sense? xD I can try and explain it better if ya don't understand.

Ah, I'm not really sure how to do that ^^" I'm quite new to using Paint Tool SAI ^^"

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 08:55:07 pm »
Hm. It may then be that the mane would possibly work as a .png file, which also means that you'll have to rename it to .png in the preset .mat file. If all else fails, I can happily take a closer look for you if you have a Skype or anything.~

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 08:58:31 pm »
Ah, I'm not really sure how to do that ^^" I'm quite new to using Paint Tool SAI ^^"

I use photoshop, but I'm sure its not entirely too different from SAI. If you would like I could post screenshots and walk you through how to get the mask on the mane c:
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline amythealpha

• Finest Floof
    • HummingKitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 09:13:06 pm »
Hm. It may then be that the mane would possibly work as a .png file, which also means that you'll have to rename it to .png in the preset .mat file. If all else fails, I can happily take a closer look for you if you have a Skype or anything.~

Still nothin', sorry to say ;; And I don't have a skype. If you have a DA or email, I might be able to send pictures of the preset?

Offline amythealpha

• Finest Floof
    • HummingKitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 09:13:31 pm »

I use photoshop, but I'm sure its not entirely too different from SAI. If you would like I could post screenshots and walk you through how to get the mask on the mane c:

That'd be awesome, thanks!

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 09:20:48 pm »
I'll allow Kynvuu to help you for now, and if that doesn't work then I will happily contact you via dA. c: