Author Topic: Map Making Reducing Lag  (Read 1679 times)

Offline LittleBlackMoon

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Map Making Reducing Lag
« on: August 03, 2016, 11:03:55 pm »
Hello!

I have another question. I was wondering how I can reduce lag in my maps for other people. One of them is around 10000wx1000h. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. I am using downloaded meshes made by other people as well.

Thanks. :)

Offline Reaper

• Exotic Butters
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 72
  • OOF
    • http://firesboss.deviantart.com/
    • ravenmccain1
    • witheredfoxy12
    • View Profile
Re: Map Making Reducing Lag
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:06:53 pm »
You could try turning off water reflection. Also try not using so many objects so it doesn't lag a lot.

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 01:40:51 am »
Some objects with collision can be incredibly laggy if they're large. Make sure there aren't any massive structures in your map.

You are amazing <3

Offline LittleBlackMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 02:33:44 am »
Alright thanks. :)

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 05:10:50 pm »
You could also take a peek into the meshes that you're placing into the map. Some objects are considered "high poly" (meaning they have a large amount of polygons) and the higher the poly count is, often times these are the most laggiest meshes for people. Depending on their computer, some people are easily able to handle high poly objects, but if you want to minimize lag, it can definitely help to use meshes with a lower poly count/not with a high poly count. If you have a large map, you could try leaving the spawn point a tad bit less detailed from the rest of the map, so that the users downloading your map won't be suddenly hit with a lag spike. Perhaps leaving a few less object-heavy areas around the map wouldn't hurt, as well. In addition to what was said about collisions above, check through the map to make sure that you haven't accidentally left any random collisions lying around. If you're really worried about lag, sometimes keeping collisions to a minimum can help.

Good luck with your map!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:12:21 pm by Warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline LittleBlackMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 03:10:44 am »
You could also take a peek into the meshes that you're placing into the map. Some objects are considered "high poly" (meaning they have a large amount of polygons) and the higher the poly count is, often times these are the most laggiest meshes for people. Depending on their computer, some people are easily able to handle high poly objects, but if you want to minimize lag, it can definitely help to use meshes with a lower poly count/not with a high poly count. If you have a large map, you could try leaving the spawn point a tad bit less detailed from the rest of the map, so that the users downloading your map won't be suddenly hit with a lag spike. Perhaps leaving a few less object-heavy areas around the map wouldn't hurt, as well. In addition to what was said about collisions above, check through the map to make sure that you haven't accidentally left any random collisions lying around. If you're really worried about lag, sometimes keeping collisions to a minimum can help.

Good luck with your map!

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely check the maps with this! 

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • http://shay-wolf.deviantart.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/Mid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 04:11:22 am »
This may not matter too much but I am just gonna add that if you have large objects, with collisions or none, it's best to check that "Is Large" box on the last tab in Map Maker. It'll help with preventing the object from suddenly disappearing on you if you're a certain distance away and then reappearing randomly, and might help lag in the case of the game registering that object as large. As usual it also sometimes helps to turn water reflection off and view distance down to 0 via settings to help reduce lag for yourself.

Offline LittleBlackMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 08:57:48 pm »
This may not matter too much but I am just gonna add that if you have large objects, with collisions or none, it's best to check that "Is Large" box on the last tab in Map Maker. It'll help with preventing the object from suddenly disappearing on you if you're a certain distance away and then reappearing randomly, and might help lag in the case of the game registering that object as large. As usual it also sometimes helps to turn water reflection off and view distance down to 0 via settings to help reduce lag for yourself.

Ooh, I'll try that out! Thanks