Author Topic: How do you get rid of homesickness?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline forks

• tiny silverware enthusiast
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • icon by reudiart
    • soupforks
    • View Profile
How do you get rid of homesickness?
« on: August 08, 2016, 08:01:05 pm »
So today I'm going three hours away from home to stay with my best friend who just moved for two nights. Yeah, I'm excited. I get to see her! I can't wait...I won't be able to see her for a while after this.

..But...as a person...I get homesick. Even if I have my phone to call my parents. I just get homesick.

And I don't even know why? Because I've known the family for years. It's just...anywhere I go, I get homesick. Heck, I went to the beach WITH MY FAMILY last week and I was homesick.

How do you get rid of homesickness? I want to have fun...I know I will, but I need sleep at night XD I want to get it.

Does anyone else get homesick besides me?

signature by g0thic_vibes1

ArcticGalaxy

Re: How do you get rid of homesickness?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:07:11 pm »
Oh yes, I tend to get homesick as well. It's quite natural really. But usually I just try to focus on fun stuff to get my mind off of it. Even though it can be difficult.

Offline Reaper

• Exotic Butters
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 72
  • OOF
    • http://firesboss.deviantart.com/
    • ravenmccain1
    • witheredfoxy12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:10:12 pm »
Don't worry I get home sick too every time I go on vacation even if its just for a couple of days. Try not thinking about it, and keep your self busy, like listening to music, or just relaxing. I am sure as time goes by you will get use to a new environment.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 08:15:39 pm »
I don't usually go around places that would cause me to be homesick, but it has happened on a few occasions. I've found that one of the most reassuring things is knowing that you'll always come right back home- your trip to visit your friend may separate you from home for a little while, but try looking at it as a trip to a nearby friend's house, perhaps a trip to the cinema with your friend. You can go and have some fun, enjoy time in each other's company, but know that the only difference is miles and the length of time you're spending- you'll still come back home. c:

Something else that has helped me in the past is bringing along something that reminds me of home, such as a comfort item, photograph, or even something that smells like home (perhaps a candle, if you burn them at home). You can really bring whatever you'd like.

Also, I'm sure you've been giving the idea of being homesick some thought for a while. Remember that it's okay to feel homesick and there's nothing wrong with missing home. You may be surprised that this visit is very different from times you've been away from home before, and just because you have felt homesick in the past, this doesn't necessarily mean you will feel the same way this time. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time, and have fun on your trip. Don't sweat it. c:

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 02:47:32 am »
Aye, I know how ye feel. I'm currently in the middle of a stressful move, in which my new house won't be ready until around September, so I've had to live with my aunt for the past week without seeing most of my close family (except my mom and aunt of course).

I just try to think of how things will be better very soon, and to think of the time away as a journey t' the castle atop the mountain as a friendly metaphor if that makes sense. Just do somethin' ye like, could be anythin', and know that ye'll be at a comfortable space at home again soon.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya