Author Topic: EXTREME Glitching!  (Read 1645 times)

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 43
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
EXTREME Glitching!
« on: August 22, 2016, 11:24:52 pm »
Hello! I've been having a bit of trouble with just about everything in my FH.

It goes from crashing when I tried to open a terrain mask, okay, I do everything I possibly can (even though it had the settings FH works with), and then it suddenly decides to stop doing that.

Then, I tried making the map larger. Crashes. Open up FH again, crashed several times, then stops.

Next, the background for a text field is suddenly transparent. Now I'm getting worried, but okay. I try something in map maker that, surprise surprise, crashes my game. I open up again, the text fields are fine.

Now it's the map that's decided to <4kids!> me up. Here's the things that, in two seperate openings of FH, decided to go wrong:

Oh, wonderful. Just opened FH again, and got the weird transparent thing:

I've gotten the transparent thing before, and the only thing that's ever solved it is getting a completely new FH. However, all the other glitches/errors are brand new to me. If anyone has any answers, explanations, or just tips to avoid these annoying glitches, I would love them.

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
Re: EXTREME Glitching!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:27:57 pm »
Have you tried switching Rendering Subsystems?

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:36:39 pm »
It got rid of the transparency-thing (temporarily, probably), but I still have this glitch:

New, there's a small but noticeable gap that separates one corner of the map from the rest.

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 11:55:24 pm »
Does that happen if you try to start that map over with that terrain?

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 12:07:33 am »
Being that my attempt just now to open the map failed, I'm going to have to say that it does seem to only affect that map.

Offline Crusoe

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • Top Kek.
    • View Profile
    • My Github Page
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 03:17:33 am »
Have you tried installing into a completely new directory (i.e C:\NewFH)?

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 01:36:50 pm »
Your Heightmap might be affecting the map and crashing the game when you go to edit it. Make sure that your heightmap is:
-Grayscale
-513x513
-One layer, alpha channel off
-Flattened

If this is not the case, then check your Terrain Mask. You can only use 3 colors on this image, that being the extremes of Red, Green, and Blue. Make sure each color is at its extreme, for example, Red: (R:255, G:0, B:0). This image should also be 1 layer, flattened and merged.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 09:04:26 pm »
I've messed with both the terrain and heightmap. The game had rejected the heightmap while at those settings. The terrain mask wasn't a problem either. They haven't been a problem.

Another strange issue, whenever I close the FH window while in map maker, the game acts as though it crashed. (I was just in the map to see how my heightmap edit looked.)

It has also crashed when I've tried to exit "Test" mode.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 09:56:35 pm »
Unless you have altered or deleted any game files, then it leads me to believe that these problems are indeed originating from the map. The settings I mentioned above are critical to a heightmap in order to make the game work. The game shouldn't reject anything at those settings so make sure that everything I mentioned above applies to your heightmap. Some common mistakes you might want to check for are:
-Grayscale File, not colors: Your image has to be in grayscale mode. If it is in RGB with gray tones, it will not work. Grayscale mode works to lock all colors so that they have no saturation or hue.
-Flattened Image: Some people will leave the map as a merged one layer image. While this is correct, you must also right click on your layer and "select" flatten to compress the layer.

If you don't believe these fix anything, if possible, try to start a whole new map. But instead of using the heightmap and terrain mask files that your originally made, paste them over the default watermill files and save as new files.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.