Author Topic: Does it bother you when people do not credit for mesh and texture work?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Taizer

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 56
  • "I can have a margarita at 11:30 am if I want to."
    • TaizerFH
    • TaizerFH
    • View Profile
This is most likely a question for anyone that does mods for this game, but could be for any other sort of work to.
But I've experienced it recently where I'm only a quiet voice in the FH crowd but I work hard on my meshes and my GUI Mods and then I don't even get credited or notified if someone is using my mesh work.

For instance I end up stumbling on maps on DA that put "Meshes belong to rightful owners" like to me that does not seem like proper credit, that does not tell other people at all where anyone got their meshes if someone else wanted to use them to and it bothers me so much.

Another thing I've experienced to is people editing my GUI mods, I've had folk tell me they 'edited' several textures on my Fallout GUI or on my Overwatch GUI because 'Lol I didn't like what you did' like excuse me I worked very hard on that, I find it super rude of people to do this, if they don't like my work why even use it in the first place.

So my question is does this sort of lack of credit / link backs and editing of hard work when you have not given permission for them to do so thing, bother anyone else in the community to? Or am I the only one feeling like this?

((I was unsure where to put this, so if the thread is in the wrong place feel free to move it.))
Looking for my converted mesh? You can find them here ! https://taizerfh.wixsite.com/digitalviolence

Offline Skat

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • Sorry guys I left. Can't delete profile sadly.
    • View Profile
Re: Does it bother you when people do not credit for mesh and texture work?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:32:56 pm »
To be honest, I have created a texture or two. I've seen people using it but not crediting but you know what, it's fine. As long as they do not steal it it is totally fine for me.
But I get watcha mean, although in my protection, because I do it to, I will explain the reason I do it. Sometimes, I use meshes and texture skins of people I do not remember. So, to save me time and not trying to be rude or look like a thief, I just say 'credits to their rightful owners.' even if I do not remember it, I give credit. A credit, not matter what it is, is a credit in my opinion, now if it has a name it makes it more official but not mentioning you, yourself on it, doesn't mean they do not credit you so I do not find it bothersome as long as they don't steal and respect one's work, for me atleast ^^

On the other hand, I can understand that when someone is being rude, like 'I do not like this, it sucks, you suck' and think it is a feedback but sometimes we, the creators, missjudge a message. I mean, sometimes people don't like something ok? When you ask feedback or not even, below in the comments, there will be people who will say they like it, some will give you tips to improve and some will make a strong criticism on something but it is totally objective objective, not being mean or anything, yet some just do it to because they're jealous. Now of course if someone comes say 'I didn't like your work because I saw the current flaw that was making the whole area look glitched or had a bad appearance and not so appealing to others, I edited it. I hope you're ok with this.' I know it might sound rude but the person has reasonings to say this and acctually stated that something in our work is lacking of efford, we may do our best to do something but sometimes it is not as good as we think.

Before you claim that 'wait til it happens to you' I can say that it has happened in previous works. Sometimes requested feedback doesn't even happen and I struggle in finding mistakes to my work. I am finding flaws on my textures and creations everyday and nobody mentions anything, maybe they don't use them because they dislike it, I understand, but when I ask for someone to help me and they stay silent my work is half done and has bugs/glitches/problems I do not see at first but find later when I use them myself. But that's ok, I mean, as long as I spot them it's ok.

I do not encourage mean comments as feedback but I'd just tell you to not mind these stuff and be proud your work is being used ^^
We will improve at some point if we keep trying for the people who respects our work ^^ I personally work for the people that support me, not for the ones who are ready to spawn hate.

Sorry if my comment was rude or mean-like comment, Ihad not intention to sound mean, I just wanted to say my opinion on that matter ;w;
| Skat  | Weirdo | Foodsexual | Nice to meet you :D|

Me and my children PFF XD

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 12:36:53 pm »
I've made countless meshes and packs for the  game and the most recognition I get is in the comments when I post them on DeviantArt. Honestly though, it brings me such joy when someone favorites it or adds it to a collection. Even more joy when I download a map and I see "Bloo's somethingorother Pack".fho  I mean, that person did download and use my pack which is why I make them.

So I guess it doesn't really bother me, as I do it to make people happy and give people something to use ^^

You are amazing <3

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 04:41:02 am »
Though I don't do textures or meshing I do do a great deal of preset work and mapping that I share with the public so I guess I can have an opinion on this sort of concept.

Honestly it doesn't bother me if users do not credit me for my work. I'm mostly happy if they use and enjoy my work. However I would be upset if they were claiming it as theirs, in that case I would like them to be honorable and truthfully credit me for my efforts.

I have used the "meshes belong to their rightful owners" statement before. I've actually always wondered if it bothered the creators but I figured most knew these meshes by now since they are commonly known and that the creators wouldn't mind. I also was too lazy to go about investigating and listing each mesh/texture to its specific owners.

As for people changing up your mod, I have mixed feelings about that. I can imagine that people editing over your own work can seem a bit offensive and hurtful... I respect your feelings in that case. If it was me in that circumstance I probably would be ok with it so long as they didn't go about bashing my stuff or plain off telling me it's ugly or trash etc. There have been mods that I like but perhaps certain aspects of the mod I may not like and I don't see too much harm if someone would like to edit it more to their specific liking. Example in the case of an interface mod, maybe they like how you textured it but not the color or shading. Idk. I would find it highly disrespectful if they went around distributing an edited version of my work though.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:42:43 am by SoulScarredStray »