Author Topic: I'm concerned for FH's future.  (Read 8111 times)

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: I'm concerned for FH's future.
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 07:03:07 pm »
I fully agree with you in that the Registration should be open. I think we can all agree that the opening of it would bring about beneficial factors. This is nothing new, and isn't to any surprise.

However, something we must consider is what goes into the re-opening of it. In order to open up the Registration, it has to physically be rebuilt; it's not as simple as pressing an "on" and "off" button. Raz has now begun work on the actual Registration building, but this is a matter of time and patience. It's easy for us--you, staff, the community-- to look at the problem and say "you should fix this," because that is where the work ends for us. It does not end here, for Raz. While we make suggestions for Raz to do certain things with the game, we ourselves do not implement these changes nor have to deal with the actual process of putting together something like a Registration. Raz has to sit down and actually work on what it is that needs to be fixed, and I know that many of us are not as capable as putting together such a system as he is doing-- I know that I'm personally not. It's easy for us to look at something and ask it to be changed, but it's quite a different thing when you are the one actually doing the work. I say this because while I know that it feels like such a long time for changes to be implemented, it's so easy for us to just look at the problem and want it fixed. Actually solving it is another thing. The aspect that begs the most patience is time-- the one thing that is always being challenged.

For those of you who may not know, Raz is already building the Registration. The Registration being requested to be opened has been repeated numerous times-- we cannot open it because it needs to be rebuilt. Raz is working on making changes to the new Reg so that it is less complicated and so you won't have all of the glitches and troubles you had with the old one. He is making it more efficient, and I would be saddened to think that he sacrifices quality for the sake of trying to re-open it faster.

Opening registrations will obviously increase the amount of users online, i know it was intended to stop lags and crashes - but it's done it's job, it's reduced the amount of users.
The Registration was not closed due to lag. It was disabled due to security precautions after the game was hacked. The Reg needed to be closed during the updates then, just as it is necessary for it to be opened now.

I know many things are going on irl with the staff and that it's hard to get things done but I mean come on. It's been down since June.

You must understand that we have not been working on the Registration re-open since June, fluff. When we released the patch, that was the staff's primary priority-- the Registration was something to be considered later and was not in need of the most attention. We have not been working on the Reg for months. We have only been actually working on it within the past week. We have said that we will re-open the Reg and will look into it within those past months, and it indeed has been looked into, but it is only now that we have actually began work. From the way it is sounding, it appears as though staff is bad for having taken too long to open the Registration, when in reality, we have only been working on it in the past week. We have considered and looked into the matter within the past months, but we haven't been actually fixing it back then. It's up to Raz to analyze what needs to be fixed, and he has finally begun working on it. I hope this sets the timeline a bit straighter so that it helps.

I agree with you and Arctic. Another thing is it is really hard to find random roleplay these days. Most times when you finally find a roleplay group it either goes dead or inactive in one day. I hope the game doesn't die out. It would be really upsetting to see people leave the game because of how inactive it is becoming. Hopefully the registration will be open before 2016 is over. It would be great to see new faces around in the game too.

It would be wonderful if we could see it re-opened by Christmas. It's all up to how much Raz is able to accomplish, though.

Truth be told, I think the forum didn't need this update--it was all so unnecessary. The game update has been phenomenal, yes, and I will never doubt that. The time and effort put into it is appalling and beautiful! But again. Did the FORUM need the update? Is this why registration has been down for so long? And I know, I'm repeating myself here, but the whole life thing outside of Feral Heart, I understand. But does it really take 6 months to rebuild registration, that probably wasn't even needed to be rebuilt?
Back to what was said before, we weren't working on the Registration six months ago-- we were looking into it, considering the issue, evaluating, discussing. We have only been working on it physically during the past week. I don't know where people are getting this notion that we have been working on it since the patch, because this simply isn't true. We recognized the issue after the patch, but it is only recently things have been able to go into work.

As for the forum update, it did need to be updated. Our old version wouldn't let us fix web bugs and glitches because it was outdated. The reason the new forum looks like it does now (different color; chocolate-y) is because there no longer exists a version like the old forum we had. In order to fix systems on the website, add customizations, or fix anything related to some of the glitches that people were having (not being able to post, too many log-out forum sessions, ads), we had to update. The forum update was no doubt a decision that had to be made-- it was all a matter of when and how, and with the new update of the game, we figured it would be the best time to work on fixing it. We have accomplished quite a few of the things we wanted to achieve with the forum update, already, and now it has paved a way for us to focus on creating the new Registration.

In short, yes, the Registration needs to be opened. We have already begun actual work on it. I know that patience is a lot to ask, but I hope any of this at all helps to make things a bit more clear. We haven't been working on this for months. We've been considering, looking into it, deciding what needs to be done, within those months. The idea, though, that the game is "dying" is something I feel is very out of proportion, and if you view statistics, it's not even all that accurate. There are indeed less people now due to the Registration being offline, but the idea that everyone is going to leave at once and the game will be left bare because of the Registration not being online is something I don't see happening. If there is one thing I've noticed from this community-- in the game and on the forum-- it is that we have very persistent members. The Registration is a tiny aspect of the whole. It does not dictate whether or not a game lives; it increases the population, which was something we didn't need when we closed it, but now it is something that is a jewel. We are mining for that jewel, but we cannot cut through rock, stone, and precious metal to obtain it within a day. Patience is one of the hardest things to deal with, from my experiences on the game and in other areas of life. It's not easy to wait for something-- especially something you don't have control over. The idea and reinforcement of a "dying" game is not aiding to our goal, though. We see the concerns, we know what is going wrong. It's all a matter of getting it done, which we will do. I hope this helps, but I cannot repeat so much as much has already been addressed in other threads.

For those of you who want to keep tabs on what is being worked on concerning the website or would like to see a list of known things that aren't working/still need to be addressed, click HERE.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:26:50 pm by Warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Kitsunez

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
  • wow i rly like cats uwu
    • lucipurrfection
    • vaarusk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 09:56:24 pm »
Thank you for the response, man. I understand this is all just repetitive and it may seem like we're trying to rush things--but in all honesty it's just confusing and weird, y'know? I can't even begin to imagine rebuilding registration by myself, considering codes confuse me so often rip.

Apologies for seeming rude or rushing though!! I truly do love the game and it's so refreshing to see updates and things in the works, so it's truly a breath of fresh air. Assumptions shouldn't be made, but when you look for answers, you can only think of so much. Now I understand it's only been recently worked on, so fingers crossed it'll be back by January/February! <3

Profile picture by kirani100 of FeralHeart
Signature by .Badlands. of FeralHeart

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 12:12:53 pm »
Thank you for the response, man. I understand this is all just repetitive and it may seem like we're trying to rush things--but in all honesty it's just confusing and weird, y'know? I can't even begin to imagine rebuilding registration by myself, considering codes confuse me so often rip.

Apologies for seeming rude or rushing though!! I truly do love the game and it's so refreshing to see updates and things in the works, so it's truly a breath of fresh air. Assumptions shouldn't be made, but when you look for answers, you can only think of so much. Now I understand it's only been recently worked on, so fingers crossed it'll be back by January/February! <3

Arr, there is indeed a lot going on that could make things confusing or weird. There is a lot that can be said for the time in which the updates have taken, but in glad this helps a bit, in terms of the Registration being re-opened and what needs to take place in order for it to happen. Hopefully we can get the Reg opened soon so that new people can join in on the fun, too. c:

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Duskyrose

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 12:48:09 pm »
Thank you so much for the response WarriorStrike - you've definitely cleared a lot of things up, it's confusing when there's speculation circling about registration, it's difficult to know what's true and what isn't. I apologise greatly if I gave any offence. It was not my intention.

Offline Warriorstrike

• Ancient Silver Mane
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 06:10:13 pm »
Thank you so much for the response WarriorStrike - you've definitely cleared a lot of things up, it's confusing when there's speculation circling about registration, it's difficult to know what's true and what isn't. I apologise greatly if I gave any offence. It was not my intention.
No worries! I'm happy to hear that it helped clear some things up. I apologize on the staff's behalf, as well, if we haven't been very clear on what it is that we're doing. You didn't cause any offense-- I appreciate you approaching this subject in a calm and mature manner.

Offline Elipsiar

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Don't give up the fight! Stand up for your rights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 08:13:50 am »
Gosh I wonder why hardly anybody plays anymore? That's just blomon sad.
"The enemy could be hiding just about anywhere. Be on your toes," - NiGHTS
NiGHTS and Reala. Always there. <3

Offline barghosts

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
  • free pizza for life
    • chewgags
    • chewgags
    • coffeemo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 08:46:27 am »
many people no longer have time to play feralheart, whether it be school, work, overseas travel or more personal reasons. the quiet hours of fh has increased which doesn't help bringing players in.
but i'm glad to know Raz is trying his best to make the new reg, so with that said i think we should all agree and wait patiently as Raz is just one person up against countless of coding and errors.
once Raz has completed the new reg, i'd like to suggest we all pitch in and bring FH back to life so that his hard work doesn't go to waste

KERMIT IT'S NOT A COOKIE

Offline wolfsquad

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • Did you take all your medication today?
    • View Profile
    • Information
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 03:37:16 pm »
many people no longer have time to play feralheart, whether it be school, work, overseas travel or more personal reasons. the quiet hours of fh has increased which doesn't help bringing players in.
but i'm glad to know Raz is trying his best to make the new reg, so with that said i think we should all agree and wait patiently as Raz is just one person up against countless of coding and errors.
once Raz has completed the new reg, i'd like to suggest we all pitch in and bring FH back to life so that his hard work doesn't go to waste

To add on to this, some people also left the game after the new update.
----------
FeralHeart registration should be brought back up to keep the game flourishing with life. I'll admit that I'm not very active ingame but I still go online. But with more members coming in, those online numbers will go way back up to the 700's and 1000's.

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 09:36:51 pm »
The way registration is now is actually a responsible act provided by Raz and previous Staff. I want to share a quote from Nynx said as a reply on Tumblr a little while back as I feel she presented a clear answer. I will highlight in red which I feel are the most important reasons.

Quote taken from here.

Question: Is there any plans to open registration full time again in the future?

Answer: It has been discussed, although ultimately, I don’t see this happening in the future. The reason we cannot (or rather should not) open Registration full-time is because of the effect it has on users who are either trying to make tons of accounts for multiple purposes (and just creating more and more with no end) and for users trying to avoid consequences for their bad behavior. In general, the game is much more secure with a Registration at random-frequency, and by no means are we short of new accounts being created; roughly 100 new accounts are created each time the Registration has opened, so there is already an increase in users in the game. This is not to mention the potential strain on the Registration function if accounts were able to created all-day– if 100 new accounts are created in one hour of the Registration’s opening, you could imagine how many might be created in 24 hours.

Registration already allows one username registration per user, per session. Now, with this said, I cannot fully agree with this:

roughly 100 new accounts are created each time the Registration has opened, so there is already an increase in users in the game.

All though the first half might be true, I mention here in my post that things aren't really changing user-activity wise at all, as Sura clearly proved in her post here.

However, I do agree that registration should be opened again full time one day. HOWEVER, I only see that happening if there was a limit to how many accounts one user could make. Sure, there's a 'one account per reg session' thing going on here, but it's not good enough to set as a 'okay things are good now, let's open registration full time again'. Nah. There are some greedy account hoarders out there.

From my understanding, the registration was closed because the server was having issues supporting the constant flood of new players, causing hiccups and other things to happen. BEFORE registration was re-opened/brought back to us not long ago of course. Let's just get things a little more clear, Raz is working hard to give good upkeep on servers and is putting his full effort into making things fair on what he can afford and what FH can 'afford'. More servers requires more money, guys!

On the other hand, if this 'account limit' feature were to happen some day, I'm positive registration will have all the more reason to be open full time once again. I hope what Nynx said in that quote cleared reasons up for you guys. I really do believe now that instant username change and instant account deletion has arrived, it should be more encouraged for people to use if they have accounts they do not use. Yes, the 'database' has been wiped out completely of inactive accounts (18+ months of FULL user inactivity), there's still a few cracks that need filling in order to sort this issue.

Before speaking out about registration and how you guys want it open full time, please be sure to have your research and knowledge updated before doing so.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Melon

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • God in their worst form.
    • jennfelde
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 06:01:33 am »
I added up the numbers.

If 100 accounts are created per hour of a registration being open..

Then the number in 24 hours would be 2400 or over.

And I completely agree with what everyone has said.
Attempting to get more active. Enjoy the day!

Cheers!