Author Topic: Help with Fallow Deer character?  (Read 2021 times)

Offline WingedWolf717

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
Help with Fallow Deer character?
« on: February 24, 2017, 08:09:24 am »
Hello! ^^
So i on the 2nd/3rd day of being on FH, i decided i wanted a deer char! (i did an i luvs him. <3)
I was looking for any tips on how to make FH deers look more...deerlike, due to constraints of the only canine/feline models :P and many species of deer were mentioned in a guide!
I decided i wanted a Fallow Deer.
While creating one, all was well...then i got to the body markings. And things got difficult.
This was basically the goal of what i wanted him to look like at first:
By B.Navez - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=265416 (i do not own image, obviously!!)
My main issue was trying to get the spots while at the same time getting the high amount of white- GZ husky fit great, but of course had no spots. I settled with...deer fawn, i think it was called?
Then i decided i wanted him to be the dark color fallow deer can be:

(Once again, i do not own nor am i claiming to own the picture!~) (note dark brown one in front)
And, once again...i have a problem.
This is what he looks like currently:

And when you look at fallow deer with said dark brown color (it's been called chocolate), you'll notice they have very faint, fading spots at the top of their back legs:

(once again i do not own image)
like...ALL of them do.

(again, not my image, don't own it, not claiming to own it)
(i also quite like the one in the front middle here, they might be my reference :D)
The reason i gave him those antlers is A: everyone can see them, B: my legendary items seriously just...dissappeared overnight? i have no idea what happened lel but anywho, he gets those antlers now ;P)
My point is:
Does anyone know any markings where they are high up, with subtle spots?
I don't want to make/get a preset because from what i've heard others have to download it just to see it?? no thank you sir i does not likey
I have the mass markings pack, legendary items+markings but again they hath dissappeared (actually, i think i know why...*sigh* probably running off my fh backup folder and not my actual fh folder :'D)
Sooo...help, anyone? xD;;
Icon & char in icon (c) WingedWolf717

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Fallow Deer character?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 08:25:13 am »
Hmm. The best way would be to make a preset to get the exact look down. And it might be a nice touch to have an actual deer snout which you can accomplish with a preset. What you mentioned about presets though: Yes, people have to download the preset to see it but there is a handy tool known as Preset Sync developed by Raz that lets people automatically download your preset and you will automatically download theirs. It was recently updated and works wonderfully. Here is a link for installation instructions and how to upload your preset to the sync: https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=39845.0

If you need help making a preset, I can try to point you in the right direction, or you can check out preset tutorials in this part of the forums: https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?board=139.0

I highly suggest creating a preset if you want to get the look spot on but as you said, you can try to make this without the preset and you said that'd be your preference.

You actually did really well with the markings you had. There is the "Hellion" body marking that looks like it would look nice for the example on the bottom picture. Even the German Shepherd would look pretty good with that. However, you'd probably be able to find more options with the Legendary Markings Pack being reinstalled.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:27:13 am by Morgra »
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Summeralla

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 12:33:11 pm »
Hey there...if you're interested in deers, check here

https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=50202.0
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:34:42 pm by Summeralla »

Offline sanrio

• Grumpy Overlord
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
    • kiyatii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:38:31 pm »
If you're looking for a realistic texture for ye chara (Works best with presets) is this!
It does cost points but it's worth it, you could also use a free horse texture (Found here!) and you can just edit it to make it look more like a deer. c:

Avatar by byambyy | Signature by rykerclawss