Author Topic: FeralHeart Road Trip  (Read 2272 times)

Offline bunnylions

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • I'm stupid and I'm proud! :D
    • KazeoLion
    • channel/UCIabUy2dwwyNBHYt7j49XzA
    • View Profile
FeralHeart Road Trip
« on: June 13, 2017, 03:09:26 am »
Yep.
A road trip.
Not a literal road trip, but more like this.
One of our admins/mods grabs a handful of FeralHeartians and takes them on a field trip across the maps to experience what they've been missing out on and to learn more about the maps. It starts in The Grounds and the admin/mod leads everyone through each map. Everyone going on the trip is to follow the admin/mod through the maps and listen to any directions he/she gives.
The purpose is to help bring the community together and learn about the game's maps rather than just sit and boondoggle in The Grounds.
Did you know I make games? :D
Meow.

Offline Siarczek

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • Friendly Neighborhood Environmental Scientist
    • siarczek
    • siarczek-art
    • siarczki
    • View Profile
Re: FeralHeart Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 07:40:48 am »
That actually sounds like a cool and fun idea!

OCs | Art | [url=https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62880.n

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 09:04:06 pm »
Don't get me wrong, it's a neat idea but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
How one of our staff members will grab a few players? Will that staff member just login and ask who wants a tour across the maps?
Also, no one is really forced to stay in "The Grounds". It's just that the majority likes it there, likes to advertise there and likes to chit-chat there.
It's the most popular map in FeralHeart and let's not forget that it is a passing-by.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:06:12 pm by Deucallion »

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline sanrio

• Grumpy Overlord
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
    • kiyatii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 09:08:50 pm »
It's a lovely idea, but there are quite a few problems that could occur.

As Deuc said, no one is forced to move away from the Grounds, I personally love it there as it's always the most talkative area/map.
But if the staff got a lot of people to join the so called "Road Trip", lag could be quite a big issue.
And in my opinion exploring the map yourself and finding the little easter eggs are quite fun and exciting to find.

Avatar by byambyy | Signature by rykerclawss

Offline bunnylions

• Finest Floof
    • KazeoLion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:31:40 pm »
Don't get me wrong, it's a neat idea but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
How one of our staff members will grab a few players? Will that staff member just login and ask who wants a tour across the maps?
Also, no one is really forced to stay in "The Grounds". It's just that the majority likes it there, likes to advertise there and likes to chit-chat there.
It's the most popular map in FeralHeart and let's not forget that it is a passing-by.

It's a lovely idea, but there are quite a few problems that could occur.

As Deuc said, no one is forced to move away from the Grounds, I personally love it there as it's always the most talkative area/map.
But if the staff got a lot of people to join the so called "Road Trip", lag could be quite a big issue.
And in my opinion exploring the map yourself and finding the little easter eggs are quite fun and exciting to find.

Partaking in the trip isn't necessarily required.
Meow.

Offline sanrio

• Grumpy Overlord
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
    • kiyatii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:37:29 pm »
Neither of us ever said it was, but we were just saying, IF a large group of people were to gather around and go on a road trip, it wouldn't be the very best for some people.

I see how you think this would be a nice idea, and don't get me wrong, it is, but even I have problems with running FeralHeart sometimes, coming from a person who has a Gaming PC and can run most FPS' and high graphics games.
If there was a limit, sort of a group count (Around 5-8 people), then I think that this idea could really work.
I just wouldn't want people missing out because of lag issues and even crashing or losing connection from the server.

Avatar by byambyy | Signature by rykerclawss

Offline bunnylions

• Finest Floof
    • KazeoLion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 09:39:11 pm »
Neither of us ever said it was, but we were just saying, IF a large group of people were to gather around and go on a road trip, it wouldn't be the very best for some people.

I see how you think this would be a nice idea, and don't get me wrong, it is, but even I have problems with running FeralHeart sometimes, coming from a person who has a Gaming PC and can run most FPS' and high graphics games.
If there was a limit, sort of a group count (Around 5-8 people), then I think that this idea could really work.
I just wouldn't want people missing out because of lag issues and even crashing or losing connection from the server.

Well, a possibility is that 5-8 people could be taken at a time. Once they're done with a map, the next group moves to that map, and so on.
Meow.

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 08:27:59 pm »
I think it's a swell idea you have here, but honestly Staff themselves don't need to give people tours around the map when there are users who are perfectly capable and motivated to do it themselves. Organizing arranged map tours would be a very difficult task. Making sure everyone who shows up is around, doesn't go AFK so people have to wait around, or getting stuck on a load screen then making sure the users are accounted for etc. It's a messy task. As well as attempting to give users more knowledge about the maps. Well, honestly, the maps created now were simple ones, for basic roleplays, but giving some sort of felxibility for all kinds of roleplay.

The only maps that had specific designs were Cape of Distant Worlds and The Grounds. The Grounds was designed as a small map, with a small capacity of objects compared to the others so users who had trouble playing the game lagless, could play it. It was meant to be (and is) the first map you see and is obvious to get to, so users who had a tough time playing, didn't have to battle through the lag of other maps to get to it. Except, with it being the first map you see/get to, it had it's faults too as people just got comfortable there and started using it as a Social Area.

Cape of Distant Worlds was designed specifically to give that unique feel, and to obviously give that sense of detachment, as the Cape of Distant Worlds is where custom map portals are located. It was also designed with different pedestols and areas in which people could advertise their roleplays, as you'd be advertising in a place where there are different pedestols for each group/rp to advertise, and it's also great for mapped roleplays, as there would always be someone around to explain how mapped rp's work and all the lot.

All of the other maps pretty much had a theme, and had to look attractive, as well as have plenty of RP spots for users, as it was a problem in the old maps. All the good RP spots/areas were taken most of the time, and so users would start to argue to the point they eventually decided to map/spot claim etc. Which wasn't really tolerated. Thus, more RP spots and newly decorated areas etc.

Tutorials on the froum (such as this one) already easily provide a guide and tour of the maps. I think there's a whole lot of things that already need doing in FH, that this would be a little too much. Perhaps you could create a neat character, perhaps you could create a tour guide preset for them. I be that'd be a whole lot of fun.

+Floof for the really creative idea, though!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:09:58 pm by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 06:52:19 pm »
Some users and staff members had gone around and gave users a bit of a mini-tour around the maps when the 1.15 patch was first released. It was lovely to be able to grab a few people and just flock through the maps, although it would be difficult to do this consistently. Since the patch has been out for about a year, it wouldn't have the same impact to try and gather folk to take a trip, since many of the users who have played Feral Heart with the latest patch have likely seen many of the sites and may not feel interested to join in, put their RPs on hold for a moment, etc, in order to gather an audience. I can easily see this as being a spontaneous thing, though-- if there were members around the maps who felt like picking up and trekking through the maps, I could see that being a thing. As mentioned above, there are quite a few active and engaging users who are more than welcome to take it upon themselves to organize a little trip through the maps, if they feel so obliged and eager to organize a little map trip. c:

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.