Author Topic: Entering map causes game to crash  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Void

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
Entering map causes game to crash
« on: June 22, 2017, 04:01:06 am »
Hello! Back here with another question ~

Before you say, yes I have checked the other topics, however none seem to actually help my issue.
I downloaded my groups map, and did everything right (Exports folder>Exports, Sounds folder>Sounds)

However, whenever I try and enter this map, it takes a while and then crashes at the loading screen. I have tried putting the files from exports into the separate folders (terrains, objects, etc) and it still does not work. I have re downloaded the map and overwrited everthing in case something got jumbled in the first download. Still crashes x.x
This is the first time that it has happened to me, and my one thought could be "Maybe my laptop is not capable of this," but you can be the judges of it!

If you have any way that would help me fix this annoying issue I would appreciate it very much ~

Thanks

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
Re: Entering map causes game to crash
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:35:54 am »
Check your particles folder at C:\FeralHeart\media\particles for duplicate particle files. Sometimes with the installation or export of a map, duplicate particle files are added in the folder, causing crashing issues.

Duplicate particle files will either end in _0 or _1 and have an identical name to another particle in the folder.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Void

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 04:53:08 am »
Nothing seems to be the problem in there ~ x.x

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:56:57 am »
Nothing seems to be the problem in there ~ x.x

Hmm...
You could try changing your rendering subsystem from Direct3D9 to OpenGL and vice versa (if you are on OpenGL, switch to Direct3D9). I also recommend turning off your water reflections and turning your View/Draw Distance all the way down before you attempt to re-enter the map.

To change your rendering subsystem, look here. About halfway down that post, it should give you some information on the two different methods to go about changing it. You can change it through the Options menu or through the ogre.cfg. That post will explain both methods, but if you need help, feel free to continue asking us in this thread.

Throughout all of this I recommend having the "Go Home" feature in the User Panel open so that way you can send the character home (back to Lonely Cave if you still have the default home location set) and be able to reaccess it and reattempt to enter the map.

Offline Void

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 12:57:52 am »
Alright, I'll try the low water option first then if that doesn't work change the system ~ I'll let you know how it goes

Offline Void

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 01:31:44 am »
Tried both methods and map still resulted in crashing. Any other things I should look out for? Or else I might go over everything again

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 01:37:31 am »
I would try to remove the files (the map files) that you downloaded, restart the game, exit out of the game and then reinstall the map files. See if that does anything.

Another trick that worked for me one time, for some odd reason, was entering a different custom map, going back to the Cape then entering the custom map that had been crashing beforehand. For some reason it got me in the map. You could try that and see if it helps?

Offline Void

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 02:37:10 am »
That sounds smart, I'll go try the map thing and if that fails, delete the entire map stuff and redownlaod

Offline Void

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 03:30:01 am »
Didn't seem to work :/ tried entering another map and moving into the one I was having issues with and that failed. Then I reinstalled the map (deleted previous files) and tried going into the map on both systems, which did not work either. Would restarting my computer help at all?

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 03:31:50 am »
Didn't seem to work :/ tried entering another map and moving into the one I was having issues with and that failed. Then I reinstalled the map (deleted previous files) and tried going into the map on both systems, which did not work either. Would restarting my computer help at all?

By chance what is the map you are trying to install? (if it is public for download of course). I'd like to see if I run into the same crashing problem. If I do end up crashing, it is something fixable on the map maker's end and we can rule out your computer being the specific problem.

Provide a link if you're able to!