Author Topic: I don't expect it to happen...  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Nitroxy

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • nitroxy
    • View Profile
I don't expect it to happen...
« on: July 03, 2017, 06:22:06 pm »
I was talking with a friend in-game and I had to run off real quick to let my dog back inside, but when I got back, they had gotten angry that I wasn't replying and they thought I was purposefully ignoring them, so they logged out. I didn't have the time to type "Afk" or anything else, so I got thinking about the possibility of clicking a button in-game that caused a little icon to pop up above the character that either said "afk" or implied that someone was unable to reply at the moment.
I don't really post about these things that I think about (because I know that they require the source code for them to even be thought about being put into place), but this idea just kept nagging me, so I'll leave it here.
Without an imagination, one cannot recognize a true adventure, nor can they learn from it.

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
Re: I don't expect it to happen...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 06:29:39 pm »
What I would do in this situation is to close my character's eyes. I tend to do this very often as a sign of that I'm currently away or tabbed out.
Anyway, this a nice suggestion that it would be great to have implemented.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:55:55 pm by Valhayes »

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 06:42:26 pm »
I'm fairly certain the general idea of some kind of message/notification/pop-up appearing when a user is afk or away (whether through a pre-written message when someone attempts to Whisper someone ingame or otherwise) has been brought up before, although not much can be done about it until the source code comes into play, as you mentioned. I personally think it would be a lovely idea to implement, but if it's ever able to be added into the game, I'd be all for it, as I can see the benefit in having a notice of absence for those nearby who may want to contact you.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

LegendaryGrace

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 04:33:41 pm »
I really like the idea of some sort of notification system. I have issues with people thinking I'm ignoring them, especially through whisper. Though, as Warriorstrike has said, the source code would be required to add anything such as that.

What I do to try and help the issues with going afk, is put it in my bio. The problem with that, is not everyone looks there.

Offline LaughingWolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 51
  • Bumpy snow
    • JaceLaughingWolf.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 06:22:47 pm »
I was talking with a friend in-game and I had to run off real quick to let my dog back inside, but when I got back, they had gotten angry that I wasn't replying and they thought I was purposefully ignoring them, so they logged out. I didn't have the time to type "Afk" or anything else, so I got thinking about the possibility of clicking a button in-game that caused a little icon to pop up above the character that either said "afk" or implied that someone was unable to reply at the moment.
I don't really post about these things that I think about (because I know that they require the source code for them to even be thought about being put into place), but this idea just kept nagging me, so I'll leave it here.

In the instance you're talking about, would you have taken the time to click a button instead of typing three keys? [just curious]

That said, to add to this, without editing source code. Though I would like to see an icon or something to show when someone is typing. Instead of waiting for someone to post.. and they've been AFK for 20mins. lol

SugarFrostBite

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 01:20:02 am »
This is very true, especially if you guys are chatting in the local chat - as it hard to read some messages because the local chat is very active. Your friend could have checked off some of the chats, like I do. I only check off the chat but not whisper.

But this is a good idea.

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 09:40:07 pm »
50 percent of this comments section is "nah no source code" kek.

I don't think this is a half bad idea, honestly. Would definitely make it easier than spamming afk in the chat or in your bio - though a
con would be "trolls", aye? All the "trolls"...

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 10:01:22 pm »
When you type to someone as well, if offline it says "username is offline.". Perhaps having an option in the info area to say if you are afk or tabbing and then also having a little icon, either above you or by your name as well as a message to notify others when they try to whisper you, something like "username is afk, they may be unable to answer right now." or "username is tabbing, might take a bit for a response.". Seems like an interesting idea.
The anti-troll idea: Simply set their status back to normal if they move the mouse or press any key.
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 01:36:14 am »
What if you could make an add-on that ran alongside the game, the server seems to know where each player is and when you were viewing them, the add-on displays who is AFK or not in the add-on window.  For people not running the add-on there wouldn't be an online-offline status displayed. Obviously.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"