Author Topic: Making Source Code Updates Possible  (Read 1758 times)

Offline bunnylions

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • I'm stupid and I'm proud! :D
    • KazeoLion
    • channel/UCIabUy2dwwyNBHYt7j49XzA
    • View Profile
Making Source Code Updates Possible
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:22:07 pm »
Is it possible to just take all the media and straight up rebuild the source code, or is it too much of a hassle for everyone?
Did you know I make games? :D
Meow.

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Re: Making Source Code Updates Possible
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:34:42 pm »
I wish it was that easy really. But I honestly think if it was possible, it would have been done already by people who are experienced in building source codes. For games in particular. It would be like guessing an entire string of text off the bat I'd imagine. Feral Heart needs the specific source code that was built to it in order to make the changes users desperately want and changes the game actually needs. Such as being able to re-name buttswing to moonwalk, or headbang to a different action if the animation it has now cannot be improved. Even being able to have characters be able to hunt or have hunger/thirst levels and health stats in general. Maybe even making the models look more realistic and even making them so such as going through pregnancy and having litters etc. A mixture of different and all too real survival.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:36:23 pm by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:40:46 pm »
Thing is, there are a lot of things in the way of anyone just using what is already there... such as anything that's copywritten that they would need to buy or obtain permission to use. So the answer to this is yes, it is quite a hassle.

It is however possible to create everything from beginning to end but this requires all the know-how of doing everything from modeling, rigging and texturing to making a GUI and Art for the game to coding the basics to making the creative tools to the complex coding of all the network stuff and being able to set up a server for it while also making sure you've got things in place to prevent problems (such as a chat filter perhaps...). None of this is easy to do and can often take years, especially if you want it to be bug free and pretty.

On top of that everyone would still be going about their lives and anything could happen that would slow down or halt the project entirely.

Hope this explains why it isn't easy and why it hasn't been done yet.
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:23:56 pm »
Internet rumours tell of the code being discovered by someone experimenting for a very long time and came very close to discovering it.
Others say it was leaked at some point, but nobody has any hard data on that.  If it were true, the game as we know it could be fine tuned and expanded, finally making it more like a finished product rather than the sandbox we have (If it were up to be i'd expand the sandbox too and see what people could make)
But if it as leaked/discovered, where is it?
Such as being able to re-name buttswing to moonwalk, or headbang to a different action if the animation it has now cannot be improved. .
Headbang could do with a little more shoulder and elbow movement and then it'd be fine.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"