Author Topic: (Lock)Paint.net trashed my heightmap  (Read 1444 times)

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
(Lock)Paint.net trashed my heightmap
« on: October 14, 2017, 10:07:27 am »
GIMP causes my whole PC to freeze when it starts, so I used Paint.net(It starts quickly) to erase the volcano from my map(That volcano was a glitch in GIMP).
The Map Maker hates any heightmaps that are saved using Paint.net.
I've switched it to Greyscale, it is 513x513, it is flattened, nothing is working to make the heightmap stop crashing the game.
Is there any way to repair my heightmap? I don't have any backup of it, and switching the terrain mask to greyscale will not work as it too has been saved using Paint.net.
I got very frustrated at my stupid mistake of using Paint.net to edit my heightmap.
Does anyone know of a paint program that can save heightmaps that doesn't crash ingame, and doesn't try to crash my PC whenever it starts up?

I gathered up the motivation to remake my heightmap and terrainmask, this topic may be locked as there's nothing that can be done to save the other heightmap.
Even though nothing worked, I'm still very grateful you tried to help. :)

The crashing heightmap
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:41:04 pm by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
Re: Paint.net trashed my heightmap
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 01:20:37 pm »
Have you made sure that the image is saved as a .png and that Alpha Channel is off? I'm not too familiar with how Paint.net works, but if you're meeting all the requirements for a working height map and it's still not working, I would suggest copy and pasting the image onto a new 513x513 canvas and try saving it as a new image.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
Re: Paint.net trashed my heightmap
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 02:27:33 pm »
Have you made sure that the image is saved as a .png and that Alpha Channel is off? I'm not too familiar with how Paint.net works, but if you're meeting all the requirements for a working height map and it's still not working, I would suggest copy and pasting the image onto a new 513x513 canvas and try saving it as a new image.
The image is a .png, I don't know how to disable the Alpha Channel, I tried to paste it onto a new canvas, nothing worked.

I'll PM the heightmap image to those who ask.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
Re: (Still unsolved)Paint.net trashed my heightmap
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:02:43 pm »
Paint doesn't know what Grayscale is. It's just always in color so when you save using paint, it's definitely going to crash map maker when you try using it for the height-map.

You could try looking for other paint programs like Photoshop perhaps. GIMP just takes a bit to load, I don't recommend closing it if you're going to edit multiple times, that way it doesn't have to load every time you want to make an edit to something.

Also if I read this right... your original height-map crashes it to?
Here's a tutorial that includes some steps for making a height-map: https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62143.0
You can also try using & modifying (copy and paste your heightmap into it) this:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ausqlcih5y3qd3v/TestHeightmap.jpg
It's just a flat, standard heightmap for getting started... it has everything set up already.
You'll have to put it somewhere fh can find it though.
Also: You can change the .jpg to .png by using "file > save as" if you want to keep using .png, which makes the map smoother. =)
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 07:00:37 am »
Paint doesn't know what Grayscale is. It's just always in color so when you save using paint, it's definitely going to crash map maker when you try using it for the height-map.

You could try looking for other paint programs like Photoshop perhaps. GIMP just takes a bit to load, I don't recommend closing it if you're going to edit multiple times, that way it doesn't have to load every time you want to make an edit to something.

Also if I read this right... your original height-map crashes it to?
Here's a tutorial that includes some steps for making a height-map: https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62143.0
You can also try using & modifying (copy and paste your heightmap into it) this:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ausqlcih5y3qd3v/TestHeightmap.jpg
It's just a flat, standard heightmap for getting started... it has everything set up already.
You'll have to put it somewhere fh can find it though.
Also: You can change the .jpg to .png by using "file > save as" if you want to keep using .png, which makes the map smoother. =)
I tried copying-and-pasting the image onto the blank heightmap, it didn't work either.

I read the comments on the tutorial, and Hakumi said there can't be any flat-out white on the heightmap, I darkened the whole heightmap and it still didn't work.

Is it my map that's crashing the game? How do I delete a map?

My presets.

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 07:50:38 am »
You would have to go into both the 'Exports' and your 'Terrains' folder located in the media folder and delete the folder that has the maps.
From exports, you'll be looking for the '.fhm' files.
Here's a simple Quote from Red that basically explains it ~!

"As they mentioned above, the exports folder.

The only maps inside cape are custom ones that you or other users made, that we can agree on easily.

Now the things is if you make tons of maps yourself, this also fills out portals.

Remember that not only exported maps in the exportsfolder gives you a portal, but also, if you made a map from within the map maker, checked "Has portal" and then saved it, the map folder works as an actual map.

So if you created maps yourself and gave them a portal, these also has their own portal in cape, not to mention that if you export these later on, and doesn't  remove the exported file for them inside the exports folder, you will have 2 identical map portals inside cape.

C:\FeralHeart\media\terrains
&
C:\FeralHeart\exports

Works the same way, the only thing is that the exports folder holds exported and encrypted files, the terrains holds the whole map folder that's easy to edit.

These two places are the only ones you can delete these cape portals from.

Also make sure you restart the game after deleting these portals or otherwise they still might be there."

As for the whole any white spots fiasco, I find moving the palette cursor all the way to the left side of the screen ( basically where the lighter strip of colours are at ) works best. You can't just darken areas from any location.. But then again, I haven't touched Paint.net in a good while..
You can always right click the GIMP icon and running a compatibility test to have it work for your computer if that helps?

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 08:21:27 am »
You would have to go into both the 'Exports' and your 'Terrains' folder located in the media folder and delete the folder that has the maps.
From exports, you'll be looking for the '.fhm' files.
Here's a simple Quote from Red that basically explains it ~!

As for the whole any white spots fiasco, I find moving the palette cursor all the way to the left side of the screen ( basically where the lighter strip of colours are at ) works best. You can't just darken areas from any location.. But then again, I haven't touched Paint.net in a good while..
You can always right click the GIMP icon and running a compatibility test to have it work for your computer if that helps?
Ill try both things, now I can test the heightmap without cluttering the Map Maker. :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:41:37 pm by FlyingGrass »

My presets.