Author Topic: Can't Change Render Without Crashing  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Aphalos

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • I bless the rains down in Africa~
    • View Profile
Can't Change Render Without Crashing
« on: February 21, 2018, 02:59:59 pm »
Recently, I've got back into FH, and I have been looking into modding the game. Sadly, my game crashes when I switch the rendering system to Direct3D9, and only works with OpenGL. However, I have numerous other games that use direct Direct3D9, so I'm not sure why I keep crashing when using it for FH. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: Can't Change Render Without Crashing
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 08:42:57 pm »
Have you tried manually changing the rendering system through the ogre.cfg file?
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Aphalos

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 05:13:10 pm »
Have you tried manually changing the rendering system through the ogre.cfg file?

Yes, I have. No avail sadly. Whenever I use Direct3D9 at all to render FH it crashes, which is odd considering the other programs on my PC such as Impressive Title servers can run flawlessly on Direct3D9.

Valar.Morghulis

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:16:10 pm »
You said in the first post that you have been looking into modding the game. What modding did you do? And have you recently downloaded any mods?

Offline Aphalos

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 05:55:34 pm »
You said in the first post that you have been looking into modding the game. What modding did you do? And have you recently downloaded any mods?

Nothing that I know of that would interfere with graphics in an aspect. Besides Legendary items and Markings, there's only retextures.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 07:16:12 pm »
Hmm. Strange... Right after you crash, check for a file in your main FeralHeart folder called "badfile.reminder". If it's there, open it up in Notepad and read what it says. If it's not there, than we can search for further solutions!
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Aphalos

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 11:41:08 pm »
Hmm. Strange... Right after you crash, check for a file in your main FeralHeart folder called "badfile.reminder". If it's there, open it up in Notepad and read what it says. If it's not there, than we can search for further solutions!

Not a file in sight named that, I assume you're talking about the folder which FeralHeart.exe is in, right?

Offline SenseiRei

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
  • ❤️ Plz Nuzzle me! I'm super Cuddly ❤️
    • royaldog12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 04:44:18 am »
Rule number 1 to modding the game. don't replace the ogre.CFG file EVER
Rule number 2 to modding the game. don't replace the ogre.CFG file EVER!!!
Rule number 3 to modding the game. Please look back at Rule's 1 and 2.

Last message. when loading the game you would get a window before starting and it should have rendering options. sometimes there is 1 option (commonly OpenGL). be sure while opening the game that you click the icon twice to get 2 of those windows. one should say OpenGL and the other just Direct3D9.

This took me awhile to figure out. don't worry I had issues too.

Offline SenseiRei

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
  • ❤️ Plz Nuzzle me! I'm super Cuddly ❤️
    • royaldog12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 04:51:20 am »

so tell me mon cher, how many people say "no I can't find this badfile.reminder" to whenever you and the staff suggest on finding it.
  If no one is able to find then i suggest on closing the book on that. I asked my friends about this topic and it seems no one is getting it... even if they enforce it.

The only thing we get thats close to it is an error log which you get through debug commands. but it obviously won't save it in the FH files or anywhere, just a pint up reminder.

have a lovely day mon cher

Offline Aphalos

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 03:33:36 pm »
Rule number 1 to modding the game. don't replace the ogre.CFG file EVER
Rule number 2 to modding the game. don't replace the ogre.CFG file EVER!!!
Rule number 3 to modding the game. Please look back at Rule's 1 and 2.

Last message. when loading the game you would get a window before starting and it should have rendering options. sometimes there is 1 option (commonly OpenGL). be sure while opening the game that you click the icon twice to get 2 of those windows. one should say OpenGL and the other just Direct3D9.

This took me awhile to figure out. don't worry I had issues too.

I don't think you understand. The ogre.cfg wasn't replaced, Direct3D9 simply does not work for Feral Heart on my computer for a reason I am trying to figure out, hence why I made this thread. Feral Heart still works with OpenGL, and it wouldn't do so if the ogre.cfg file had been tampered with in a way that would affect the game regarding Direct3D9. I'm well aware of the window that shows up that allows the changing of render options, even then when switching to Direct3D9 the game persists crashing.

Also, my guess is the badfile.reminder file won't show up in the first place is that FH does not get the chance to create it upon the issue, being it crashes right away to the point I cannot see the opening title screens.