Author Topic: Map Issues [Can Close]  (Read 801 times)

Offline Tambourine

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Better known as Tamboob. <3
    • View Profile
Map Issues [Can Close]
« on: July 07, 2018, 01:20:46 am »
Hello, making this post behalf of a rp that's having issues with their map currently. It appears we're having issues getting into a custom map, though the maps that are connected to that said map work. Map was working before this too, so is it a serverside issue going on? We simply can't connect whatsoever, though other maps are doing well for the most part.

Edit: The only way people are getting into the other maps that are connected to the main map is through already having characters in said map. Going into the main map causes a disconnection.
EditEdit: Apparently some can't connect at all or are losing connection to normal maps.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:45:28 pm by Tambourine »
Icon by AkumiIrako on dA <3

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: Map Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 03:08:54 am »
This is a common issue for custom maps, especially popular ones where traffic is varied. Unlike the public maps (where there's almost always at least one user in a specific map at any given time), custom map servers are empty by default. (And thus down until someone enters... when the last person leaves, the server goes down again.) So in a popular custom map (maybe a custom map being used by a large, active group for example) its server can get some strain caused from constantly being switched on and off. Then suddenly it doesn't want to let anyone in xD

Just wait it out for a few days and it should start working again on its own
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Tambourine

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 05:56:03 pm »
Hey, thanks for the reply, however after waiting a pretty good while, we're still having this issue with the server not allowing the map to be registered as online, which is really frustrating. We can try and re-export it, but we can't redo the map as a whole to prevent this from happening again. It's a 6 map rp; 4 camps, a mini-map, and then our main bulk map for daily events and the such. It's set up this way to prevent lag, since trying to fit everything into one map now days produces more lag it seems.

I know this is coming from an ignorant standpoint since I have no idea in reality how the servers work, but I feel like FH would really benefit from having nightly or bi-nightly 'refreshes' to keep people from having this issue. May not be possible, I don't know, but it's really frustrating to see rps work hard on maps just to have activity halt due to issues we can't control, especially when our map maker can't be around all the time in the case that this happens. ;w; Thank you for your time!
EDIT: I only make this suggestion because it's not the first time this has happened; rather this has happened to 4 different rps I've been in this year. It's really hard to keep rps active, and it hurts when maps go down like this. I don't mean to be rude at all. ;;
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:02:24 pm by Tambourine »

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 06:29:20 pm »
I've started to notice this with other maps too, and I have no idea why these map servers aren't able to get themselves up and running anymore. I really don't have much to say, other than maybe try reinstalling the map and/or re-exporting it as it is. If you really want (and if it's ok with your group) you could pm me a link to download your map and I can try to see what I can do. I don't think I'll be able to do much, but it might be worth a shot

As for regular server refreshes, that would be entirely dependent on our server master Raz as he's the only one who can reboot the entire server. And tbh I don't think he'd be down for that idea, simply because the public maps are fine and it wouldn't be convenient for him at all. This issue with custom maps is certainly worth addressing though, especially if they don't ever start working
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Tambourine

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 07:07:48 pm »
Once I get permission from the RP staff to give you the map, I'll be 100% certain to message you the download for it! The map itself has had little to no issue before this aside from the stray lag.

And I do understand how tedious it would be, running servers is a pain, but it's really getting to that point where it's becoming inconvenient for multiple people, owners and moderators of rps, to have to wait for re-exportation of maps from the map makers, then direct people to said new downloads while also managing the downsides to said issues that occur like losing members due to said complication or activity loss because maps become inaccessible. Any plotting events that happen during an outage gets pushed back, and then member loss due to fh issues causes more time needed to be put into recruiting, which then can also backfire. It's hard enough to run larger rps with our own personal issues and time constraints, let alone when curveballs like this make things harder.

I do not mean to be rude or pushy, it's just something I've seen people talk about in the rps I've seen affected by this issue as of recent, and it's really concerning to see people disheartened and discouraged by issues as seemingly persistent as this one. Especially when many rps now days are private maps. If somehow this issue can be resolved without needing refreshes to stimulate a server to relaunch itself, then that would be awesome. Again, I apologize for any rant or rambling, and I appreciate any help we can get. ;; <3 I will message you the map here in a moment.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:15:49 pm by Tambourine »