Author Topic: Why is this map crashing?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Vidathelion

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • www.deviantart.com/cynde
    • www.youtube.com/channel/UC90KdyZ
    • http://feebleturtleduck-artz.tum
    • View Profile
Why is this map crashing?
« on: August 07, 2018, 03:49:56 pm »
Currently have a issue with a map. It works in testing, there are no items, the map base/layout I made works perfectly in other maps. I tried deleting and re-doing it but every time I enter the map it loads
and then FH turns white and crashes.

The map distance /size is 100,000. Could this be causing it to crash? What's the max size / distance for a map?
If not any advice?x_X

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
Re: Why is this map crashing?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 04:15:17 pm »
I'm not quite sure what the max distance is, but I know that certain computers can't handle bigger maps such as the one you made. Mine can barely handle 80,000 to 90,000, for example. Maybe try scaling it down a notch just for kicks, and see if that works?

Now it's been a while since I've dabbled with map-making, but check your particles folder and my_objects folder for any particle duplicates, meaning particle files with _0 or _1 and so on at the end.

Edit: I forgot you said the map was empty, my bad.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 04:16:49 pm by Edolicious »
Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Your right hand on 3D-Meshes
    • t-i-g-g
    • channel/UCKuFJTwBJf94Tq07oVBNMrA
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
    • Isla Thanatos Gameserver
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:28:57 pm »
i remember the biggest max size was 50.000 back in the developers talk as FH was being coded.
Better try a smaller map, i dont think a map with this big size you have is recommendable.

Offline Vidathelion

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 05:03:05 am »
i remember the biggest max size was 50.000 back in the developers talk as FH was being coded.
Better try a smaller map, i dont think a map with this big size you have is recommendable.

Why is it not recommended, will it not run?
I'm not quite sure what the max distance is, but I know that certain computers can't handle bigger maps such as the one you made. Mine can barely handle 80,000 to 90,000, for example. Maybe try scaling it down a notch just for kicks, and see if that works?

Now it's been a while since I've dabbled with map-making, but check your particles folder and my_objects folder for any particle duplicates, meaning particle files with _0 or _1 and so on at the end.

Edit: I forgot you said the map was empty, my bad.

I don't have any of those ending in _0 or _1. I don't understand what's wrong with this map if the issue isn't max map size(I'm not sure if it is, but another user claims it is despite me having a working map that is 99,999). I've never had this particular issue before. My PC can run large maps just fine. I deleted the export file, re-exported it and it seemed to work but it crashed two minutes into me crossing the map.
I tried scaling it down and it still crashes
I tried playing with the boundary number to no luck. This map worked before so I haven't the slightest why it isn't now. I realized this is the same map I posted about last year for another glitch.
I feel like I'll never fix this map ._. it's one of my favorites. It used to work.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 05:34:25 am »
Usually if it's an issue with the height map, it will crash upon trying to launch in map maker and not even let you in but just in case, lets run through the troubleshooting height map steps:
Your height map must be:
- .png
- 513 x 513
- Grayscale
- Flattened
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Vidathelion

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 05:37:01 am »
Usually if it's an issue with the height map, it will crash upon trying to launch in map maker and not even let you in but just in case, lets run through the troubleshooting height map steps:
Your height map must be:
- .png
- 513 x 513
- Grayscale
- Flattened

It's not the height map. I've used this height map on at least two other maps of varying sizes and they have worked fine. I mentioned to the guy above that this map worked ok last time I played it so it's not the height map.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 06:02:07 am »
Your height map must be:
- .png
- 513 x 513
- Grayscale
- Flattened
It's not the height map. I've used this height map on at least two other maps of varying sizes and they have worked fine. I mentioned to the guy above that this map worked ok last time I played it so it's not the height map.

Hmm ok. I'm glad that's been ruled out. Apologies for not fully understanding that wasn't the problem ^^. I think it might have something to do with your hardware if it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't

Have you tried to make sure that water reflections are off, name tags are off and view distance is all the way down before you enter the map? I just created a test map that was 100,000 in width and spawned in fine so i'm not sure if it's an actual limit in the game, but rather what your PC can handle much like Edolicious mentioned. Could help prevent a crash when you try to spawn in.

Also, if you notice your game start a freeze and not just close out immediately be patient and don't click. Sometimes it will freeze for a bit and then load in but clicking interrupts that process.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:03:58 am by Morgra »

Offline Vidathelion

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 06:07:30 am »
Your height map must be:
- .png
- 513 x 513
- Grayscale
- Flattened

Hmm ok. I'm glad that's been ruled out. Apologies for not fully understanding that wasn't the problem ^^. I think it might have something to do with your hardware if it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't

Have you tried to make sure that water reflections are off, name tags are off and view distance is all the way down b. I just created a test map that was 100,000 in width and spawned in fine so i'm not sure if it's an actual limit in the game, but rather what your PC can handle much like Edolicious mentioned.efore entering your map? Could help prevent a crash when you try to spawn in.

Also, if you notice your game start a freeze and not just close out immediately be patient and don't click. Sometimes it will freeze for a bit and then load in but clicking interrupts that process.

Wait I got it to work! I had to adjust the boundaries, it seems to be working right now
I don't know anything about how this game functions but I have a theory based on several hours of messing with this...

If you put the boundaries outside of the map the game has a seizure like a guinea pig on cocaine.
But adjusting the boundaries numbers so it fits into the map seems to work.
I think the issue was the map was too big and the boundaries too small, so when my character walked past the certain distance the game went "You aren't supposed to be here" and crashed
(and I never click when it loads.xD it just turns white and dies) My PC, despite being old, seems to handle it. I had a map that was too big I downloaded from someone but it didn't crash it just lagged, so if its flash crashing its the map I suppose.
My old vista slimline is a solider

ahh thanks for the help though!!!
Now to go decorate my big af map ahh

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 06:11:12 am »
Congrats! I'm glad it worked out for ya ^^
You've made a discovery that I don't think I've seen before. I'll go ahead and lock this thread up for ya but feel free to message any of us staff if the problem should mysteriously arise again and we can unlock this for ya.