Author Topic: Question: Getting fur textures and asymmetry onto presets?  (Read 3691 times)

Offline XxRavenpawxX

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • I'm sorry, I'm thinking about cats again!
    • View Profile
Question: Getting fur textures and asymmetry onto presets?
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:52:56 pm »
Well, I'm a derp today aren't I? As always...

Also, if this turns up in  the wrong section and/or is messed up, please tell me, it's my first time posting an actual stand-alone topic here, so, yeah. XD

Anyway, does anybody know how to get textures and asymmetry onto a preset? If anyone can try and explain as simple as possible and/or provide a link to a tutorial/template, it would be much appreciated.  ;)
Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead.

Offline RenamonSoul

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Awesome...
    • View Profile
    • Aura Blood Pack
Re: Question: Getting fur textures and asymmetry onto presets?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:36:09 pm »
Well i know how to do the fur textures if that's what your talking about and can explain it briefly.

1. Go to the FeralHeart/media/textures and find the ones that say like fbodyshade or cheadshade( The C stands for canine and F feline.)
          2. Open that up in whatever art program you use (I use gimp but some use photoshop, same difference...) as well as the preset your working on.
          3. Ctrl A then C to select the whole image and copy then paste it on to the preset.
          4. It should be covering the image but don't let it anchor. You just need to make a separate layer. On gimp you would go under Windows, dockable dialogs then layers.
          5. A small separate window should pop and make a new layer for the texture, the bottom left button on the window.
          6. Under mode, set it as multiply and it will blend the two so you will see the fur as well as color and markings. You can also turn the opacity down if you want the fur lighter.
          7. That's about it and your done, but a word of caution. After you export it, you cant take the fur off to adjust the markings so i would suggest keeping a copy in a folder to keep in handy.

Once you get used to it in gimp, it takes literally seconds to do. =D And about the asymmetry... I remember doing it once before and you had to label each either left or right in the name, but i have forgotten how to. Idk but ill get back to you if i find it. Hope this helps.                     

-Ramen =D

I say I am pure, when I lead a everlasting daunting shadow.
I say I am happy, when I lie and hide to weep my tears of blood.
I say I am true, when I look at my reflection wondering why I deceive.
I say I am many things, when I am only one thing
Imperfection...

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:17:09 pm »
I can help with the assymetrical presets. ^^

1. What you would do is, you would first create your preset according to how it would look from either the left side or the right side.
2. Once youve done that, copy the texture and rename it to either (Im going to use the body texture as an example, but you do this for all of the textures you intend to make assymetrical) preset_4Rbody OR preset_4Lbody If the side you made first was the left side, then it will have an "R" after the number, for right side. Or vice versa, if you started out with the right side.
3. Edit this copied, renamed texture to appear how you want your preset to look on the OTHER side. Save.
4. Open the file you have in your preset folder in notepad, and scroll down. You'll see sections of text like this.

material preset_4_bodyMatL
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_4body.jpg
         }
      }
   }
}
material preset_4_bodyMatR
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_4body.jpg
         }
      }
   }
}

Look where it says "material preset_4_bodyMatL" and "material preset_4_bodyMatR"

These headings tell you that this particular chunk of code deals with either the left (material preset_4_bodyMatL) OR the right  (material preset_4_bodyMatR)

Youll notice after the word texture, there is a file name

preset_4body.jpg

That is where the name of the 2nd file is going to go.

So for example, lets say the first side of the preset you made was the left side, and now you want the right side to show along with it. So you would look under "material preset_4_bodyMatR" and replace
the "preset_4body.jpg" with "preset_4Rbody.jpg"

Hope that helps! ^^

Offline aviannerd

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 07:40:34 pm »
How do you open the layer window, though?