Author Topic: Recently used map items reappear when I make a new map...  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Aedre

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
    • View Profile
Recently used map items reappear when I make a new map...
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:18:44 am »
Just that. I make a map - it can be anything from waterfalls to stone mushrooms, castles, palm trees, anything I use.

I have a map with a 'rock garden' type thing, elephant skull, etc...Just finished playing around with it cos I was making height maps on Gimp and found one that was fun to jump around in without being overly irritating...Anyhow!

That map is titled Rigidity.

I played around in object maker after that, making a castle, making new textures for the rocks, etc. So then I make a height map for the half-finished castle.

I open the new heightmap in mapmaker, all looks well, I add some ocean and click 'test' to go run around and explore, see if there's any tall places or deep places that make the map a horrible failure. And there are plenty of deep places that can be tricky to get out of, but no deathtraps like I've made in other maps that require one to recall home to escape XD lmao....In the upper left corner I purposely made a place where there are tall rock outcrops, and deep hotspring-like pools...

I get out of Test and the objects from Rigidity have appeared. Floating castle, objects within the castle, giant mushrooms, trees, caves, more trees, stone trees, carved wooden figure like trees, stone mushrooms, real mushrooms, tiny mushrooms, stone bushes, etc. All these mushrooms, stone plants, go into a fairly sized (at least half of a 10,000 width map) rock/statue garden type thing. Most are either miniaturized, average wolf-height, or giant.

So of course my entire miniaturized rock garden pops into the hotsprings. e.o Usually it's not a terribly big deal - last time (the first time) this happened I need only delete four large and easily spotted waterfalls (and they kept appearing until I saved a new map - now the new map appears instead.) Finding sixty or seventy half-buried and underwater items in a map that should otherwise be empty? Is no fun task. The worst part is knowing that I cannot make another map properly unless I delete every single one of those items.

Now, yes, simple - kill the heightmap, delete everything on a flat plain, put the heightmap back in. All is solved, yes? Good, good? I did this. I put in some of my items, some trees, some plants, start thinking about a terrain map, wonder if I can make the water bubble or steam...Test it out again to make sure the trees aren't overwhelmingly huge...Get back out of test and EVERY single one of those seventy-some mini-items were back, along with the castle and such. I'm usually a very patient person, but my patience breaks when creativity is stifled by this redundant and time-consuming glitch.

Please help. o.o Suggestions? I know my maps will only grow increasingly complex (and become better put-together, rather than a mashup of random objects and various species of mutant trees... XD) as I get better at heightmaps and textures and other item-creation tasks...

And I'm also just noticing that this is one of the first times I've used the forum since joining the game. o.o So hello. *waves* I'm Aedre...I tend to talk a lot, as you've probably noticed. Hehe...

Offline ringoluver

• Delay's Nop.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 227
    • ringoluver
    • lavenderdaze
    • View Profile
Re: Recently used map items reappear when I make a new map...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 02:23:00 am »
This is a glitch with the new patch. We hope that it will be fixed soon. If you don't want to delete everything one by one, you can also open the objects.cfg file of your map, delete all objects except one and delete that one ingame.

Signature Art by Bawfle, Icon Art by Edolicious

Offline Aedre

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:21:04 am »
Ok ^.^ Heh, I'm fairly satisfied to know that its a not-just-me problem.

Thanks for the quick response, I'll definitely make a sticky note of that solution.

Offline Finley

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • get money, get paid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 05:35:03 pm »
I had the same problem too, but I found out that if you look in your temp folder in terrains, the object file has the objects in it that ghost onto your map (at least for me) and deleting the text inside, at the moment, has fixed the problem for me.

Offline Aedre

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 05:43:32 pm »
Ooh ok thanks :D Simple enough to clear that out after I save m map.

Offline Finley

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • get money, get paid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 05:51:56 pm »
Same thing if you have ghost portals or water (: hope it works for you too!

Wolfsoul143

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 08:59:06 pm »
Ok here is how to solve this (I have had this problem befor)

When you make your map and have the terrain and mask on. Get a random object and put it on the map then export it. Everything should go back to normal and when your done you can remove the object.

If having problems still pm me and I'll explain more

Offline Glave

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 83
  • A 'Nerd' gone wild
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 04:04:44 am »
Okay I found a way easier way to fix this problem.....DON'T TEST IT IN MAPMAKER!!  If you absolutely must then SAVE before you test it. Once you do the test and everything pops up, just exit out and re-load the saved map. Its quick and easy. Myself, I usually place lots of stuff then instead of using the test I just hop onto my FH account and go onto the map in game. This way I am testing it out with whatever sized character I want as well as nothing odd pops up.

It is also a great time to take screenshots if your posting them on forums or something. Hope this helps as a better solution to the problem.