Poll

What do you think of cross-gender RPers? (Guys that rp as girls, and girls that rp as guys.)

Totally acceptable.
I'm one of 'em!
They make me uncomfortable when I find out they're not their character's gender.
They should stick to rping their IRL gender!

Author Topic: Your Opinion on Cross-gender RPers?  (Read 23200 times)

Offline femalecreature

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • it is i the official eggplant
    • View Profile
Re: Your Opinion on Cross-gender RPers?
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2013, 04:25:16 am »
To me that's like kicking someone out of a group for being a cat. ;-;
egg me up inside (can't egg up)

Offline SparkFenx

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2013, 10:42:41 pm »
A character is not you, it's meant to tell a story. Variety is fun. :>

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2013, 12:06:33 am »
I have only 3-4 Mae lions that I use rarely.... I mainly feel like using Females because I KNOW how a female acts, not so much guys, :P

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Fallenleaf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2013, 02:32:26 am »
You doods should stick to your irls genders, yo

No, just joking. I'm a girl in real life, yet I've always prefered to RP as males rather than females. I do have some female characters, but my character list is mostly filled by males. I don't see what's wrong with cross-gender RPers, as I am one myself AND RPing is not about who you really are, it's about feeling you character, living through it, living its life. Who cares about your irl gender, in RP, that's not you anymore. You become one with the character you created with passion! -emotional tears-

Offline SlipKnot64

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
  • Come To Me Darlin'. Don't Be Scared..
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2013, 02:46:14 am »
To be honest, i dont understand why anyone has a problem with this. Some people may not want to play as a female for example as much as they want to a male, they may feel that they're a better Rp'er as a male, they should be just allowed to do what the want, if they got kicked out of a RP for not being their IRL gender i do believe thats really wrong.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:48:12 am by KrovenAsesinato »

WE WILL CHASE THE SUN UNTIL RAGNAROK COMES.

Offline Narifia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • "Watashi wa nagareboshi no senshi gozen--Vega!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2013, 08:50:12 am »
Wow. I've been roleplaying for over a decade, and I've never once had this problem. Is this a new trend, or just something seen among younger, more inexperienced roleplayers? This is the first time I've ever heard of this being an issue--in fact, being a "cross-gendered rper" isn't even a term in my book. It just seems like a given, especially if you're like me and have more characters than you can sanely keep count of :P

My main fursonas tend to be female (Nari, Vega), but some of my male characters are perhaps the most fun to play (Byron, Kurunzi, Kazuya-chan, and Decimus who is a character that a friend gave me). I don't think it's very hard to grasp a realistic character of either gender in writing. How would an author of a book write books anyway, if he or she didn't explore characters of the opposite gender? Surely C.S. Lewis, J.K. Rowling, Erin Hunter, and more must be complete and total whack jobs.

You know, this actually brings up a funny thing that my boss at work said once. She noticed that I kept reading the Warriors books during lunch break, and we got into a discussion of Erin Hunter and I mentioned that they also wrote Seekers, which is about bears. My boss actually said "she must be really weird if all she writes about is animals all the time." I almost fell out of my chair. The closed-mindedness of some people is really quite astounding. (So Kyugima, believe it or not there actually are people who are creeped out by cross-species roleplayers! xP lol. Great parody thread, btw :P)

That being said, I can understand how it might make inexperienced roleplayers feel squeamish, especially if they haven't properly been taught about what roleplay really is. I'm certain that many believe a character to be an avatar or representation of oneself, when really this isn't always the case (and, more often than not, just simply isn't the case). I don't feel that they're weirdos by any means, just a little misled and misinformed about the nature of roleplay and what it means to play a character.

"Night & Day
Sou sakende kizutsuite mo
Just Day By Day Ashita o mitsukeru!"
Do As Infinity-'Tooku Made'

Offline Wolfie_Lover

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2013, 09:16:25 am »
Hmm~ Interesting topic.
I'm wondering, though, why would anyone have much of a problem with a female role-playing a male character, or vice versa.
Now, most of my characters do contain femininity, but they have more of a tom-boyish attitude all the same. The other third of my characters are males. EspeciallymyEnglandandotherHetaliaOCs~

-Wolfie

Offline GhostPuma

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Crazy Fangirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2013, 11:24:21 pm »
I find it fine since I do it a lot XD. A majority of my characters are male. Also have to say that most male characters seem to have less cliche personalities than females on television shows and can inspire us to make these male characters. I dunno, just a wild guess :/.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2013, 02:24:29 pm »
I find it fine since I do it a lot XD. A majority of my characters are male. Also have to say that most male characters seem to have less cliche personalities than females on television shows and can inspire us to make these male characters. I dunno, just a wild guess :/.

you lost me .

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline fastwolf

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • ROOOOOOOOOOOWK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2013, 03:14:45 pm »
I'm wondering why people have a problem with this. I'll give you a conversation that once happened.

Me: [I'm bored. .-.]
Friend?: ((Same, what do you wanna do?))
Me: [I dunno, how about make female wolf pups or summut.]
Friend: ((But your a guy irl.)) [GET YOUR 'YOURS' RIGHT!]
Me: [No, I'm not..]
>I Friend..: ((LOLOLOLOL))
Me: [What?]
No: ((YOU HAVE A GUY USERNAME AND A GUY CHARACTER LOLOLOLOL))
Me: There is no problem with being a gender then roleplaying as the opposite gender. And I now view you as a *****. Goodbye.

Blocked. I do NOT want to see that person again.