Author Topic: RP Fighting, and How To Fix It  (Read 8580 times)

Offline blackmailchan

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
    • CerealSoup
RP Fighting, and How To Fix It
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:41:09 pm »
        Back when I used to be in an RP chatroom, RP fights were quite common. People developed different styles that not only made the fighting fair, it made it REALLY fun to be a part of and to watch. Here's a list of some styles that were commonly used there, and also here on FH.

Traditional (T1) - paragraph style
Two people take turns typing out paragraphs. Very common for descriptive, serious RP-ers.

Traditional 2 (T2) - Fast-paced fighting that uses 7 words to attack, 10 to connect, 7 to dodge, and 12 words to counter-attack.
This is my absolute favorite style to watch. While it seems like whoever types the fastest would win, even the slowest typer can actually be quite the strategist and use careful planning to win.
For example, one person will state their range, and then has to type 7 or more words to attack another person ( No auto-hit ). While this same person is trying to type their 10 or more word connect, or the attack hitting, the other person has a chance to dodge or counter attack. ( 7 words or more for dodge, 12 or more words for counter ) It uses real-world physics, you have to be fair, some moves are un-avoidable. The reason I find it the most fun to watch is because it's unpredictable; all of it is mainly improvised. People commit to the same moves when they fight, ( biting, scratching, etc ) so T2 forces someone to step out of their comfort zone. c:

T2 also uses a point-system, where if someone is hit 5 times, the other person wins. ( You can either end the fight there, or kill the other person once you reach your total amount of hits that you both planned before the fight. )

Traditional 3 (T3)- The most annoying fighting style, and most commonly used in FH.
All one needs to do is post an attack of one word or more, and then 'seal' it with a second post saying, " HIT " or "DODGE" if you dodge an attack.
For example,

Cat: *bites wolf arm off*
Cat: HIT
Wolf: That's not funny.

Freestyle- Anything goes, god-modder's dream, no rule fighting.
This is what causes the most problems on FH. People will one-hit kill other people, and dodge every attack made on them. Most of the time, if a god-modder gets fed up with you ignoring their one-hit blows, they will report you to some poor mod who has to have their inbox flooded with stupid block excuses, and then they will ( hopefully ) block you.

Additional reading: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpbb2&file=viewtopic.php&t=334201

People also seem to alter their abilities during a spar to make themselves invulnerable. ( Ex. in the middle of a battle saying, " haha too bad I'm actually immortal " ) Not to mention the tiny cats who are somehow ripping limbs off of big wolves? Whether or not your character is supposed to be the best fighter in the entire world, sometimes letting yourself lose is a lot of fun. No one is perfect 100% of the time, so why should you be? ( and battle scars look cool on presets. cx! )

So do yourself a favor, and play nice, and play by the rules.

I'll answer any questions below, especially on any of the styles I stated above, they can be hard to understand. <3

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
Re: RP Fighting, and How To Fix It
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:44:27 pm »
Wow, this is very informative. T2 is very interesting and looks like a ton of fun, but a little tricky to explain during RP, which is a shame. I'd like to try it sometime though.

Offline blackmailchan

• View Profile
    • CerealSoup
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:58:36 pm »
Wow, this is very informative. T2 is very interesting and looks like a ton of fun, but a little tricky to explain during RP, which is a shame. I'd like to try it sometime though.

Here's an example fight I'll make up. And I'll include Bob not typing enough words, and the consequences of that.

Bob enters the range of Joe.
( Move void, not enough words )
Joe runs at Bob, wielding a hammer above his head.
Bob moves out of Joe's range.
( Word count void again )
Joe brings the hammer against Bob's face, pushing Bob to the floor. (1 point for a successful hit)

And another example,

Bob takes stance again, moving out of Joe's range.
Bob creates an orb of fire in his hands using his magic.
Joe once again runs into Bob's range, his hammer aimed for Bob's right arm.
Bob releases the fire into Joe's chest, shooting him back out of range.

It's important to keep track of range for long-range and short-range attacks and stuff.
The fighting doesn't have to look as plain as this, you can be as descriptive and stylized as you want.

CrystalSprint

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:58:01 pm »
OR, you guys could just play Dungeons and Dragons like SERIOUS role-players do. This internet crap is nothing compared to tabletop.

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:43:10 pm »
OR, you guys could just play Dungeons and Dragons like SERIOUS role-players do. This internet crap is nothing compared to tabletop.

But we're discussing how to make this "internet crap" better. That is the point. There is no need to be so rude, it is just a discussion.

Offline xShadex

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
    • http://toritheelf.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:13:32 pm »
Erm...could you explain the T2 a bit more...? I'm a bit confused.. o.O
Edhal Huan Go here to see my species. :3

Offline blackmailchan

• View Profile
    • CerealSoup
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 04:23:17 am »

That was rude. :c This isn't difficult stuff at all. It's just fun.

Offline blackmailchan

• View Profile
    • CerealSoup
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:24:11 am »
Erm...could you explain the T2 a bit more...? I'm a bit confused.. o.O

Sure, what's confusing?

CrystalSprint

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 02:12:02 pm »

That was rude. :c This isn't difficult stuff at all. It's just fun.
[/quote]
Rude, no, that was an opinion. Rude is when people so engrossed in their sill RP's give you a hard time for walking around looking at the techniques used in maps and rendering engines. The engines are all that's ever important to me.

Offline Windance

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Om nom om om
    • View Profile
    • My Preset Thread
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 04:05:11 am »
Rude, no, that was an opinion. Rude is when people so engrossed in their sill RP's give you a hard time for walking around looking at the techniques used in maps and rendering engines. The engines are all that's ever important to me.
     If you don't care about RP on the game at all...why ruin people's fun here? Seriously. There are other ways for "serious roleplayers," whatever you mean by that to play than just roll some dice around. RP is a huge part of this game...otherwise it's just a chat with animal avatars, which is boring.

But I digress, I do like how this thread outlines some good ways for people to roleplay on this game. For people just starting to try in these games, it gives a good starting base to work off of.