Author Topic: Grammar.  (Read 7588 times)

Offline Raxoremys

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Grammar.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 04:57:34 am »
OOC, any old level of grammar and spelling is fine with me. I definitely prefer to RP with more "literate" people though, and I must confess the tiny mistakes like "your"/"you're" do get to me a lot XD I try my best not to comment on it however, and honestly most of the time I just think to myself "They'll get better, they're probably doing their best to learn" or "It's a typo, ignore it".

It's funny, when I started playing FH I was squarely in the semi-literate bracket. I looked up to the literate players, but at times they did seem a tad...not snobbish, but perhaps just intimidating because of the amount of attention they put into their typing.
After I moved into a more literate style, I'm afraid to say I did become a teeny bit high-and-mighty for a while >.< I would love to say "I can understand it if you're using a phone and you only have one thumb to work with. On a keyboard you have all ten digits, so why doesn't anybody seem to use them?" (which I guess is still valid if English is the person's first language and they genuinely are just being lazy when they have the ability to spell things fully)
At this point I figure it would take far too long for me to correct every spelling/grammar mistake or typo someone says, and it won't really get me or them anywhere.

Someone mentioned the idea of a FH school(which is awesome, provided that there are enough pro-active users who want to join in), and it reminded me of a particular experience I had with an older group I lead. This group was mapped, and I happened to get three or four people joining at once, all of whom had never installed a map before. That was fine, I didn't mind teaching them, but they just wouldn't listen half the time and got confused even though I might have explained the same step three times. I dunno. That's less of a literacy thing, but they were evidently all new players. Not entirely sure what point I was trying to make with that, actually...probably something like "Most of the people on here are lovely, but it sucks when they're too hyperactive to pay attention to important things they asked about".

Uhh...I appear to have lost my train of thought to an extent...muffins for everypony, I suppose. *throws*

Offline TurtlezSoup

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • TurtezSoup. Your everyday dose of Turtlez
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 11:39:12 am »
I'm actually alright with any literacy/level of RP as long as I can read the text/post. ^^ I mean, no ones perfect. I don't dunerstand nor use Wolfseak, so I someties as the user to stop using it if I can't understand the post (*Only in cases where it's extreme use of Wolfspeak. I'm OK with minor useage, e.g; The ebony canine licked his dark black maw while his golden optics scanned the dark forests of Lupniar Lake. He scowled, his tall columns standing proudly as he waited for his broter to return from the hunt. His short, thick banner swayed from side to side as he patiently waited for his siblings.

I'm OK with that ammount of usage, not a wolfspeak word every second word. :P)

Bit yeah, I'm totally fine with any Form of RP as long as it's understandable.
---

I'm probably in the semi-advanced/advanced (Semi-lit/Lit) section fo the RP rank 'ladder' you could say, I only really post longer posts when I have inspiration, yet I have enough descriptive words to make it interesting for the reader. Yet I do poost shortr posts at times, during  abattle I could have like 2 posts just about the same attack, while when just greeting someoen in a RP; I would really only do one or two sentences. ^^' I don't mind teh length fo a post. But if I made a literate/advanced RP tehn I would look for lengthy posts etc. But most fo the time, I don't mind or care about the length of a post, I mostly care about being able to understand and read it. ^^

Siggy by Rustys!

MyDarkSide13

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 12:54:28 pm »
I understand that you may/may not be able to understand a person but try and help them. It may take time out of your day but I think that the fact you helped that one person who needed it is a lot better than Role Playing. Not all of you will agree with me but that doesn't bother me. I know you aren't trying to sound rude but the fact is that it is sort of rude to just point out grammer and spelling errors. You were once an illiterate player and so was every one else. Wjy not put yourself in that "illiterate player's" shoes and maybe you will see they are really trying.

EnderStar

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 07:34:36 pm »
OOC, any old level of grammar and spelling is fine with me. I definitely prefer to RP with more "literate" people though, and I must confess the tiny mistakes like "your"/"you're" do get to me a lot XD I try my best not to comment on it however, and honestly most of the time I just think to myself "They'll get better, they're probably doing their best to learn" or "It's a typo, ignore it".

It's funny, when I started playing FH I was squarely in the semi-literate bracket. I looked up to the literate players, but at times they did seem a tad...not snobbish, but perhaps just intimidating because of the amount of attention they put into their typing.
After I moved into a more literate style, I'm afraid to say I did become a teeny bit high-and-mighty for a while >.< I would love to say "I can understand it if you're using a phone and you only have one thumb to work with. On a keyboard you have all ten digits, so why doesn't anybody seem to use them?" (which I guess is still valid if English is the person's first language and they genuinely are just being lazy when they have the ability to spell things fully)
At this point I figure it would take far too long for me to correct every spelling/grammar mistake or typo someone says, and it won't really get me or them anywhere.

Someone mentioned the idea of a FH school(which is awesome, provided that there are enough pro-active users who want to join in), and it reminded me of a particular experience I had with an older group I lead. This group was mapped, and I happened to get three or four people joining at once, all of whom had never installed a map before. That was fine, I didn't mind teaching them, but they just wouldn't listen half the time and got confused even though I might have explained the same step three times. I dunno. That's less of a literacy thing, but they were evidently all new players. Not entirely sure what point I was trying to make with that, actually...probably something like "Most of the people on here are lovely, but it sucks when they're too hyperactive to pay attention to important things they asked about".

Uhh...I appear to have lost my train of thought to an extent...muffins for everypony, I suppose. *throws*

I'm a the literate side too. But yeah, sometimes I cannot understand a person completely because they're half speaking another language, or they spell some words wrong.

But what I get irritated at is when I'm hanging around, and then someone says my name... And they're speaking a totally different language. I'm just like... ...Walk away slowly...

I'm actually alright with any literacy/level of RP as long as I can read the text/post. ^^ I mean, no ones perfect. I don't dunerstand nor use Wolfseak, so I someties as the user to stop using it if I can't understand the post (*Only in cases where it's extreme use of Wolfspeak. I'm OK with minor useage, e.g; The ebony canine licked his dark black maw while his golden optics scanned the dark forests of Lupniar Lake. He scowled, his tall columns standing proudly as he waited for his broter to return from the hunt. His short, thick banner swayed from side to side as he patiently waited for his siblings.

I'm OK with that ammount of usage, not a wolfspeak word every second word. :P)

Bit yeah, I'm totally fine with any Form of RP as long as it's understandable.
---

I'm probably in the semi-advanced/advanced (Semi-lit/Lit) section fo the RP rank 'ladder' you could say, I only really post longer posts when I have inspiration, yet I have enough descriptive words to make it interesting for the reader. Yet I do poost shortr posts at times, during  abattle I could have like 2 posts just about the same attack, while when just greeting someoen in a RP; I would really only do one or two sentences. ^^' I don't mind teh length fo a post. But if I made a literate/advanced RP tehn I would look for lengthy posts etc. But most fo the time, I don't mind or care about the length of a post, I mostly care about being able to understand and read it. ^^

Like this - You have some typos in your post. But I can still read it because it's like - you know how to spell the word but you just typed too fast and it messed up. Most of the time I know when I spelt something wrong is because by fingers memorize the keyboard - so if I spell something wrong my mind is like: "Wait... Backspace a little..." I type fast, too. So it's more likely for me to mess up.

I understand that you may/may not be able to understand a person but try and help them. It may take time out of your day but I think that the fact you helped that one person who needed it is a lot better than Role Playing. Not all of you will agree with me but that doesn't bother me. I know you aren't trying to sound rude but the fact is that it is sort of rude to just point out grammer and spelling errors. You were once an illiterate player and so was every one else. Wjy not put yourself in that "illiterate player's" shoes and maybe you will see they are really trying.

Yeah, I want to help them but I'm afraid I may seem rude and plus - I'm scared of strangers. o-o I don't want to be in other people's shoes. They probably smell or are too big. Or too small. If they were flip flops I would just leave. xD Sorry. Being a dope. I wasn't pointing out spelling errors I was just explaining what I thought about them. I didn't say they were God forsaken typos that should be burned to death in a chemically induced fire. I just get irritated when people don't soell out the word 'you'. They say 'u' instead. I don't know why but it just annoys me. Yet again, they could be one of those people who text a lot and they're just used to the shorter version.

Offline YouheiSunohara24

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Don't touch my chocolate, or you DIE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 02:40:29 pm »
o3o It really only annoys me when people say they are like, 16 and talk like this: -bitz throt out no mis- u r ded nw lol i hat u u sck im gnna rprt u!!!!1!!111!!1

Yeaaaaaah........
For me, crazy is a loose term. Crazy is when you drive by in a car with a shotgun shooting a cops. Cuz... then you're gonna get in big trouble. Crazy is when you start screaming at the word "Shinigami". Crazy is when you support Kira. You're crazy if you touched my chocolate because that means you want to die. If you're crazy, put this in ur sig.XD

EnderStar

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 06:34:04 pm »
o3o It really only annoys me when people say they are like, 16 and talk like this: -bitz throt out no mis- u r ded nw lol i hat u u sck im gnna rprt u!!!!1!!111!!1

Yeaaaaaah........

Powerplaying too. Eh, some people just want to do what they want to do.

Offline Volume

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 07:51:58 pm »
I'm one of those people who don't always follow the rules due to laziness but i always make sure i'm legible and that's all i really care about:D

yeah grammar trolls suck :<

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 03:26:19 am »
This is one reason why I don't join long-term rps. Everyone expects you to have impeccable grammar and type at lightning-fast speed AND create appropriate postures and facial expressions for your character in-game. I just can't do all of that at once.

I can type just fine in a situation like this, on a forum or research paper, where I can write at my own pace and go back and fix spelling and grammar errors as I please. But when I'm in an in-game rp, I feel as though the pressure's on, and if I don't type out long, beautifully-written paragraphs fast enough, the rp will stop dead in its tracks and people will lose interest. When I'm under that pressure, I panic a little and make spelling mistakes, or I forget to capitalize a letter. It also doesn't help that I tend to lag in densely populated maps, so I'll be typing faster than the words can show up on the screen, and I end up typing gibberish instead of what I was attempting to type because the game hasn't processed my pressing the shift key.

So I tend to go easy on folks who have trouble typing a coherent sentence. English might not be their first language, or they might have dyslexia, or they are having the same issues that I am having.

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline shineywolf

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • I'm that weird dude who loves rope...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 03:37:44 am »
Ye...I hate grammar I prefer to spell things randomly
I'm that weird dude who loves rope...

EnderStar

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 04:49:35 pm »
This is one reason why I don't join long-term rps. Everyone expects you to have impeccable grammar and type at lightning-fast speed AND create appropriate postures and facial expressions for your character in-game. I just can't do all of that at once.

I can type just fine in a situation like this, on a forum or research paper, where I can write at my own pace and go back and fix spelling and grammar errors as I please. But when I'm in an in-game rp, I feel as though the pressure's on, and if I don't type out long, beautifully-written paragraphs fast enough, the rp will stop dead in its tracks and people will lose interest. When I'm under that pressure, I panic a little and make spelling mistakes, or I forget to capitalize a letter. It also doesn't help that I tend to lag in densely populated maps, so I'll be typing faster than the words can show up on the screen, and I end up typing gibberish instead of what I was attempting to type because the game hasn't processed my pressing the shift key.

So I tend to go easy on folks who have trouble typing a coherent sentence. English might not be their first language, or they might have dyslexia, or they are having the same issues that I am having.

I think the real thing I don't like is when people try to act like they're using a different language and type gibberish that I can't even read. And people using other languages just scare me because I haven't learned another language yet. I know some Spanish and German but not a lot.

And I type with two fingers, use the caps key instead of shift, and can type pretty fast for my age. I'm gifted with my two pointers. xD

Ye...I hate grammar I prefer to spell things randomly

Um... Potato?

I'm one of those people who don't always follow the rules due to laziness but i always make sure i'm legible and that's all i really care about:D

yeah grammar trolls suck :<

Wait, what are grammar trolls?